Diablo IV Announcement Discussion

Considering the betrayal that was Diablo Immortal and the way you disappointed us and KEPT disappointing us in D3, I say you have to prove that this D4 is actually playable.

I felt 2 things that you likely did not want to convey when I read your introduction to D4, and they were thus:

a) Swap like a madman. It is about YOU, not where the state of the game. You consider it to be dynamic when the player has to mash buttons to swap weapons and bunny hop around and shift forms, but that isnt dynamic, that is just several repetetive tasks you carry out independant from whats actually happening otherwise. Your general idea of positioning seems to be nothing but “evade telegraphed ability X” and “dont be surrounded”. You want to see real dynamic gameplay? Play HoTS or Dota2. Ranges, movement speeds and cutting off is relevant there. Your programming has boiled down to having a threat hub like a huge boss that creates danger zone blips on the map so you dont stand there and pummel him. That is garbage and that HAS been garbage. In D1, you didnt have a sprint button so if you werent careful you got flanked as a rogue and you got melee’d by demons. That hasnt happened in the AOE mess that is D3, but it was still somewhat present in D2.

b) The devil’s in the details, and that is what hasnt been said. The text has been clearly written for approval (and it failed on me because it was so cheaply manipulative on the “you asked for this so we give you this so you are happy now right?” idea of manipulation it was kinda sad… I would expect a bit more from a company that constantly has to create presentations to win over an incompetend design board. Shouldnt you have more practice in manipulative tactics by now?)
But you didnt really dive deep. You didnt present your own idea of what should happen, all you did was present a non-dynamic gameplay trailer that was just bad and then you are spouting how much buttons we get to press so that must be dynamics, right?
You didnt seem to get the overall idea of all the individual criticism you faced. That D3 lacked depth and complexity. That means, we didnt get enough stuff to explore. NOT that we didnt like Sets or that we preferred skilltrees to the mess you made with the runes. It was a general problem, it wasnt just an individual problem that is fixable just by adhering to the criticism of somebody that fondly remembers features he liked. Those features he remembers are part of a greater feel and a bigger picture. You seem determined to fix issues, and I approve. But you dont seem to think ahead of the feedback and you dont seem to envision what is the underlying issue you are and will be facing, and that is just that: Depth and complexity. Replay value, you might say.
In D2, we liked Rune words because several rune words were playable on either you or your merc, and each of them gave some identity. Depth. Complexity. It wasnt about how freaking awesome your greater rift level was. It was about you clearing stuff with a sense of progression, and it still puzzles me how you managed to do it. Quite possibly I was just simply younger and more patient with my games. But there WAS a sense of change and progression, all the same. A sense I didnt really get in D3 despite your efforts with Paragon (which was undermined with Seasons, the conflicting concept) and mythics you can use on different characters, and a quick-equip function and all that. Progression didnt really happen. It was all a bit hollow and void.
A word of advice: With nothing to trade for except the top levels of an established identity (mythic and beyond rarity levels of the same item) you get the OPPOSITE of depth, you just get higher numbers. You failed on that end before, and I cannot give you an advice on how to avoid said pitfall, but luckily that is your profession, I have my own problems to tackle on company time, and you got yours. Tackle it if you have an idea, and dont act on it at your own peril. The feedback will be spirited, and you know it. Some of the criticism can be toned down a bit if you are actually figuring out what went wrong BEYOND what you were told repeatedly.

Nothing you wrote so far regarding D4 makes me belive that you have even a general idea of what went wrong, or even THAT something went wrong. You pushed the meta of D3 into a funnel of identical gameplay and just made us be more efficient at the same identical thing we could do, and since all you offered us were different sets or higher levels of rarity for sets that we had, you had to compensate with adjustable difficulty. Didnt seem like an approach that pleased the masses sufficiently, did it? D2 had a difficulty flat and once players were sufficiently efficient, they naturally got bored and restarted to explore something else. And for some reason they did not feel bad about it. Will you recreate a “non-punished-feel” again in D4? So far I doubt it. Very much so.

5 Likes

Excellent job of outright deleting all of the offline threads instead of providing a response that would have put an instant end to them or actually banning the people constantly derailing the threads or spamming them.

This game needs a new CM.

1 Like

I guess some of the things I’d like to see are:

• If there are mercenaries/followers allow them to be itemized like in diablo 2 with the ability to do just as much damage as before.

• Since I saw runes in the demo, hopefully there will be rune words as well.

• I would also like new spells to be added as new expansions are added

• I hope itemization is in depth and there are multiple options and items that support skill tree paths, actual skills, etc as a supplement but not as a requirement to do any damage.

• Lastly, I really enjoyed the blizzard sorceress in diablo 2 and I hope Diablo 4’s blizzard spell will be harding hitting as well and not a DoT sort of thing.

2 Likes

Just so everyone knows there is now a Diablo IV updates tab on the webpage it holds all Dev updates so refresh that page on the daily if you’re looking forward to the update!!

diablo4.blizzard.com/en-us/news

Things I’d like to see in Diablo 4:

-The Health and Mana meters look like actual blood/potion/liquid instead of just an orb with a red/blue color.

-TLDR: Changing the colors to be grayer/less vivid does not make the game ‘darker’. Change the art direction to be ‘darker’ and more mature, not just the color palette.

Long version: I love the idea of a ‘darker’ world, but the art direction in the blizzcon demo was boring and bland. Instead of a darker world, the only thing that looked different from D3 was a gray/darker color palette instead of the actual art design changing. Look at the game Agony, while it was a bad game, it had great art direction for a mature and dark Hell.

-New classes: As much as I love the classic classes, we’ve played them before, even if their abilities are slightly different. I’d love to see some new ideas: How about a Summoner, a Warlock, a Shadow King, a Hermit, a Shaman, a Shapeshifter, etc. etc… Why recycle old classes when you can literally do NEW things? Where’s the creativity/inspiration/fun for making new things??

-Somehow avoid everyone sticking to one build (the meta build) at the end of the game. This one’s difficult and I don’t have a solution in mind. But I believe in you devs!

1 Like

I for one am geeked about D4.

A: The Druid will be in it. Sad to see that it didn’t make an appearance in D3. Honestly I still think there is time to do so, imo anyway.

B: The Barbarian is still in play. THE ONLY CLASS TO SURVIVE SINCE DIABLO 2!!! :slight_smile: Yeah buddy. Woot Woot! Thank you very much.

C: It keeps the Diablo franchise alive and well. Here is hoping for a movie in the future too. If that does happen, that would be sweet. I know a lot didn’t like the Warcraft movie, but I did.

D: I think the Paladin should make an appearance honestly. Matter of fact, I think the Paladin and the Crusader should be in the same game. The lore alone would be sweet and I usually don’t care about lore/storyboard/bla bla bla.

E: I think the Amazon and the Assassin should make a comeback AND you should keep the Demon Hunter in the game as well. Again, the lore alone would be sweet. I would love to some cut scenes of those 3 interacting w/one another.

F: Matter of fact, it could work too (looking at you WoW), have all of the D2 and D3 classes in D4. Choosing the D2 Necromancer lore over the D3 one of course :slight_smile:

G: If I think there is still some untapped potential with D3, D4 is another story and another world BIGGER AND BETTER BABY!!!

1 Like

It will be awesome if there will be seasonal 1v1 ranked greater rift 60 and 80 and 100 where you compete against opponent and who finishes greater rift first is the winner and gets some rewards.

Thread points out Wolcen and Torchlight have offline mode. Gets Deleted. Way to handle that topic CM. :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Did they get deleted? Or were they moved to the Games and Technology Forum?

(I haven’t been keeping up with these.   )

Edit: (I guess you meant the posts in this thread).

No a whole thread. Now the third thread supporting offline mode that has been scrubbed from these forums.

anyone know if were going to get a pvp system in diablo 4?

There is PvP in D4. Just a matter of how it works.

Seasons ruin the game like they do ruin Path of Exile. People just do keep starting again every time new season starts and the basic game mode is a shadow of what it could be.
The part with runes didn’t sound like it would be anything as important as what it was in D2.

I wrote this thread on what concept I find underlies what makes up that air in a diablo game world, that snare our interest:

You are very innocent if you expect smth from current Bli$$ard

IF the devs deliver on the mentioned zones approach to D4, AND they also add classes as part of certain Zone releases, we could see ALL Diablo classes available, by the time the last zone is released, and the full map of Sanctuary is playable.

Release date for update!

1 Like

one question, can we finally play offline?
diablo 3 is entirely singleplayer yet no offline mode, it would be much appreciated if we could play offline.

3 Likes

No it’s online only. Watch the BlizzCon panels for more info.

1 Like