👹 Diablo is no place for leaderboards

I agree with you there. Good point.

:+1:

2 Likes

that’s why there was a hunting mode in d2. but the idea was not developed further. you could experience a lot of interesting action with it.
the games are not intended for fair duels.
But at least the basis should be there: no botters with multiple damage, hacked items and usual cheats. until that is not fixed, pvp will be absolute nonsense.

Well good thing we don’t have to worry about that in either D3 or D4.

D2 can stay and rot where it is, along with everyone who wants it copied.

1 Like

I don’t see the problem with Leader boards. If you don’t like them, you don’t need to look at them.

I’m not really competing with anyone but I like to see what the top players are using and where my character ranks.

if knife is in the leg, wound is bleeding and it hurts, ignore it. everything passes. that also passes? …

I know even more of such “wisdom”:
you don’t like reality? live in fantasies.
you want money? paint your own.

some write such nonsense that you can damage your brain while reading …

Except leaderboards aren’t like a knife in the leg because they do no harm to you. That’s like saying we need to remove Barbarians from the game because I don’t like the class.

The solution is that I simply not play Barbarian, not that Blizzard re-design an entire class just to suit my tastes.

Most of the stuff people blame leaderboards for would still be there even if they were removed. You can’t design a game in such a way that people wont want to cheat.

The solution to leaderboards is to simply not pay attention to them. The solution to botting is for Blizzard to start banning them a hell of a lot more than they have been.

3 Likes

Just because you dislike the leaderboards, doesn’t mean we all do. D2 had leaderboards, and seasons (Ladder resets).

The leaderboards in my opinion are fun. I like to see where I stand in comparison to other players, and get idea’s for different things to do with my gear.

Primals are a random drop chance, with increasingly better odds. In this last PTR, I spent a total of four hours trying to get upgrade gear to primals. I got almost my entire build out decked out in primals from reforging. Yeah, those four hours were boring, but I ended with great gear, and got to really push my build tests.

I have seen several people who don’t bot make leaderboards, and easily compete with the botters.

At this point, your article made me laugh, because you are so upset about something that doesn’t impact your gameplay, but you really wanted to cry about it like all these “Salty Crybabies” as you put it… Wait, isn’t that what you are doing right here?

Personally, I don’t really care much for leaderboards; didn’t care much for it in Diablo 2, and definitely don’t care much for it for Diablo 3. That said, I’m definitely not against it, as there are people who do enjoy the leaderboards; so I’d say, just let them have at it.

2 Likes

The most successful ARPG has leaderboards for all of the modes, including SSF which the vocal minority rail against, as well as even gives away prizes to people who finish some of the hardest content first.

Why do people in this community constantly come up with ways to be against proven successful ideas?

You are correct that botting without a doubt gives the unfair advantage of better gear (primal) but need not forget the big advantage is the 5000+ paragon they can achieve over any regular players 1500-2000 (if that).

Someone mentioned they play “to have fun and compete to the best they can do” this paragon gap is the true failure on the leader boards. Gear will only take you so far but when a botter is sitting with thousands of more paragon it is a hopeless cause.

Not to side track this topic but if bots are here to stay which they seem to be the game needs capped level leaderboards like 1-1500, 1501-3000, 3000 plus. That you preselect at the launch of a new character. While this solve the bot issue? nope but it will bring the competitive leaderboards more on line to skill, gear and equal top paragon level.

3 Likes

Nicely Done with this post… I remember I was so excited to play D3, This was in May 2012, one of the primary thing for me was the selling point, play as you like. You know the “Burger King”. If you started day 1, you know the hell we had to endure trying to get a decent item.

I played 7 months and had to quit in Feb 2013, I am back 7 years later, and now I get lots of legendary ( most crap), and the once in a while Primal ( 99.99%) crap.

The sad thing to me about the game, There is no ingenuity in this game, I look on the leader boards, and everyone using the same build, wearing the same items.

What happen to playing my way, and still being able to enjoy the top tier.

1 Like

i only speak for myself. because everyone has different experiences and sees the world differently.
yes, leaderboard is very harmful to me. when I see that there are a lot of cheaters here. because then my motivation is in the basement. a few years ago, it was challenging to be up there. now i am not really trying to play grifts. because according to certain paragon lvl it is absolutely pointless for me.
but as I said, that’s just my opinion. and it is true for me.

1 Like

Let me say first off, that I really like Diablo III’s current incarnation. There are a lot of players still, and while this is my first time on the forums, I can’t imagine the people complaining on the forum speak for the majority of people actually playing the game. I started when this game launched, spent hundreds of dollars in the RMAH, went through RNG hell, and still, on infernal difficulty, there was no possible way to survive even the weakest possible hits. The adrenaline needed to play a non-monk/barb at that time was insane, so when they revamped everything, I stopped playing, because it wasn’t the same game that endured near-heart attacks learning to play. I came back around Season 14 with the new seasonal buffs started happening, and found a much more enjoyable game. Gearing was now gamified, crafting made a lot more sense. RNG was reigned in. Sets were obtainable and made for some engaging play styles. All of the masochistic things that made D2 and D3 originally unbearable were remodeled into a way that made progressing in the game mirror the learning curve, rather than be a flat, impossible grind.

The hatred of this game on the forums and the love for D2 is mind-boggling. Then I realized what all the D2 people are begging for is a sado-masochistic game that they can cheat at by buying botted goods, and it becomes clear that maybe some of them are just masochists, but they probably are also influenced by those who have an agenda to get Blizzard to create a market for botters and sweat shops like D2 had.

Now that all that is out of my system. I too, hate competitive gaming. I hate that every game that I enjoy has to be an extreme streamed commercialized e-sport. But I also love having the fan sites, and many of the friends I enjoy playing with need that competitive social graph to be able to enjoy the game.

This is one of those situations where what they do doesn’t really hurt how I play the game. If other people grind for months to try to get that 0.1 sec lead on GR120, you know, that’s really their loss when competing in a video game becomes THAT important to them. My judgment shouldn’t limit their fun though, it’s their time to do with as they please.

Obviously I’m not going to defend botting. It needs to be eradicated or muted (once identified, let them still play the game, but don’t let non-botting people see their records, so they end up wasting their time without knowing they’ve been caught).

I hear you on toxicity, and the e-sports competitive nature is for sure a big drive towards toxicity. Somehow in anonymous e-sports, there’s no room for e-sportsmanship. There are steps to curb that sort of behavior though. I don’t play League of Legends, but I hear Riot has implemented several successful tools to improve the quality of user interactions. I do play FFXIV, where the North American community is much more wholesome than WoW’s, and the Japanese community is far more friendly than the American one still. These things are in part sometimes due to the less competitive nature of the games, but also because the games take steps to reward good behavior and friendly interaction. This is an area where as far as I know, Blizzard has failed tremendously.

Some of America’s most toxic political groups started with Steve Bannon’s analysis of World of Warcraft forums. The idea was to isolate a bunch of white men, make them angry, and harness that for political purposes, and well, looking at the world around us and at the office that Bannon briefly held, I’d say the “Blizzard forum model” worked as intended. The way Blizzard creates these forums as echo chambers, and then refuses to address the growing anger makes people incredibly furious over things that often people not on the forums wouldn’t give much thought to.

Americans will always find some way to make things a competition. It’s not hard to build a network sniffer that records your DPS, times, etc, and uploads them to a website like worldoflogs. Whether Blizzard puts a leaderboard in or not, it’s going to happen either way, because it’s just how American gamers are. However, to address toxicity, the thing they need to do is add positive player rankings and commendations and such to encourage people to be nice and helpful to as many other players as possible.

1 Like

The problem is endless Paragon.

Limit it to lets say 3000 (Only @ Season f.e.) and we would have a competitive leaderboard.

Non-Season can stay open end for those who want to compete with bots and theyr high Paragon-LVL. :wink:

3 Likes

The thing is that what you claim is ruining the game for you, cheaters, is not a byproduct of leaderboards existing.

Cheaters exist in games that aren’t competitive at all. Removing leaderboards would be harmful to a lot of people and it wouldn’t solve your problem of cheaters taking your motivation away.

You’re saying you want to make the game worse for a whole lot of people to not solve the problem you have with it.

Unless your entire problem is simply seeing cheaters in which case, it sounds like not looking at the leaderboards would solve all your problems.

1 Like

Lol, so you attack the LBs instead of cheaters. Nice logic. Not far from the rest of the “lets make this game worse” forum goers who are against SSF and now leaderboards. “Keep our dead game dead” they said.

Competitive D4 is the shttiest thing can happen to the game. Because it will end up D3 ver 2.0, filled with bots to the brim (and how happy they must be now as TrAdiNG has been announced).

2 Likes

Yeah it has, but it will have plenty of limits. I just hope they got a HIGH number of limits in mind. The more the merrier. They should just copy/paste D3’s BOA.

You do realize that the other side of this slippery slope is that without leaderboards this game would be a shell of its current self?

Granted, there might be less bots, but there would be less players too.

Having something to strive for is key to any game.

Problem with content, is that you are only going to have so much of it, then its all discovered and done. Then what?

I know that many years ago when the game came out and I started playing it, it took what seemed like months for me to explore and find all the nuances of the original game. It was slower paced, it was fun. But eventually you had seen it all. Then they dropped the expansion, that held up for another month or so, till everyone started focusing on rifts.

And the leaderboards.

And suddenly we had something to do again. Sure content wise nothing really changed, but we had each other to compete with.

Here we are years later. GR150 is now attainable. People are hitting that ceiling of nothing more to do yet again. And postulating wonderful theories as to why the game is bad.

Its a fun read, I grant you. But ultimately no game lasts forever and burnout and boredom can happen to ANY game.

Game on.

1 Like

yes, botters get the best equipment with trades. pvp against cheater is ridiculous.