Diablo Immortal confirmed p2w

You can’t just buy the gear outright but the cash shop contains a Battle Pass system that rewards Crests that can be used to earn a chance to unlock better gear which means you can ultimately get better gear by paying money.

This isn’t helped by the fact Crests will also be available for purchase outright, especially when the game includes a PvP mode where paying to win will very likely reign supreme.

Sad to see

edit: updated to add the guy who actually played it and saw these systems in use. You’re right that this could change prior to release but release is supposedly imminent.

Also to add that the very existence of cash shop gear lootboxes means that the grind will be made harder to drive players to the cash shop

h t t p s://www.androidpolice.com/2021/05/15/diablo-immortal-is-going-to-be-worth-playing-at-least-for-a-while/

5 Likes

Perfect. Unemployment and live in mom’s basement 2 win is far worse.

2 Likes

Was there ever a doubt that any new “company who shall not be named” game would not be PTW?
Their most successful game is Candy Crush!
DI and D4 are PTW games.
Get your daddys credit card.

2 Likes

Do you have a source for that or just your opinion?

This is what they actually said. :point_down:

Joe : So, of course, it is very early days here, but what I can confirm is that we will sell a base game, and expansions; and I can also confirm that we will not sell power. - Blizzcon 2019, Diablo IV Systems and Features panel.

D4 P2W? Source of that claim please.

and you want to know what is the true P2W?

Here:
https://i.imgur.com/WS2Jprv.png

5 Likes

What’s truly p2w? I think life is p2w.

D:I definitely sounds like it is pay to win. Pretty damn sad.

Hopefully D4 is not. If it is, Blizzard should just be honest about it already. Then some of us could start working on erasing the games existence from our memory.
But really, I will give Blizzard the benefit of doubt here. I can’t imagine D4 will be pay to win. At most, it might have some grey area stuff like buying inventory space.

4 Likes

It should have P2W servers and non-P2W servers. Otherwise there will be RMT in it.

If they split the servers there is nothing wrong with P2W.

There is basically everything wrong with pay to win. Splitting servers do not make it any less pay to win.

Pay to win does not belong in any game, in any amount, ever.

3 Likes

P2W is pretty cool in P2W servers and awful otherwise, when there aren’t non-P2W servers.

Do Crests get you the actual gear, or do they get you a CHANCE for gear. Like getting to roll the dice twice instead of once?

I think D:I is more MMO-ish, but what do you win from PvP there? What are the rewards that you can “buy”?

It is a free game, so I do expect some form of monetization, we all expected that.

I honestly think D:I is going to be an interesting deviation from their norm. We shall have to see how it works out and if it is less predatory than other games in that genre.

I really don’t think so. Blizz is pretty good about not selling actual gear or power in their paid games. They stick to cosmetics and such which don’t help anyone “win”.

1 Like

And what game does that?

Which creates a RMT market since trading is available in Diablo.

1 Like

That would very much be pay to win.
Heck, even worse in some ways, as it becomes lootbox gambling, trying to drag kids into gambling addictions.

Agreed.
Although they are facilitating gold selling in WoW these days, which can be used to buy gear. But I’ll grant that it is fairly limited.

2 Likes

The EU commission should stop this madness ASAP.

1 Like

Just dont allow trading. Problem solved. Trading is not available in D3. Sounds like it is somewhat available in D:I unfortunately. D4 remains to be seen.
Anyway, RMT is NOT pay to win. It is obviously still bad though.

1 Like

They confirmed at Blizzconline 2021 that D4 would have trading similar to what they said in 2019.

• They are still working on it.

D4 will have trading because they want the whales to feel good about skipping some parts of grinding. Whales will RMT what they need as a result.

Instead of this, we should have P2W and non-P2W servers (both having no trading). This way RMT will be dead and whales would buy the stuff directly from Blizzard.

#stopRMT

Things can change many times before release.
Or they can end up with having “trading” in a way where it does not matter much. Like in WoW. Such as only allow blue items to be traded and literally nothing else (I am assuming blue items wont be particularly useful after lvl 5 or so).

So your solution to stopping RMT is to make Blizzard the RMT partner? :thinking:
Instead of simply doing the obvious thing to stop RMT; not allowing trading.

If Blizzard makes the game pay to win, then it is no better than allowing RMT. Actually, a lot worse, since it changes the design incentives for Blizzard.

1 Like

In the last 2 years they have not really changed anything on trading. Some items yes, other items no.