Diablo II: Resurrected Console Lobbies, TCP/IP, & UW Updates

While I’m sure that piracy is a concern how is getting people onto battle.net an advantage? It’s a free service they pay for. It costs them money to run those servers and keep games active with the lobbies and chat systems.

I know that Kotick is a greedy piece of garbage but applying this blanket layer of greed to everything is a bit absurd at this point. I’d personally like to see some kind of direct mod support especially for bigger ones but I’m happy to give up TCP/IP for the time being to not have to deal with some of the crap that goes on in current d2 online.

I hope they revisit it and come up with a solution that works for everyone. I think it would be good not only for direct modding of the experience but for giving people the chance to maybe create a new story in the universe that could be interesting. I loved WC3 and SC/SC2 maps that were custom rpg style experiences and I want to see and experience more of that.

I personally think this is too much. How about making Dclone spawn only in your game selling 1 SOJ, same as Uber do when you put 3 keys in the cube?

1 Like

This reminds me of a quote when the Xbox One was revealed as being always online: “Fortunately we have a product for people who aren’t able to get some form of connectivity, it’s called Xbox 360” - Don Mattrick. That didn’t go down too well for them.

11 Likes

I dont quite understand the issue with UW. There are plenty of skills that travel well beyond the screen allowing you to kill mobs while remaining undetected. As for PvP, always attack from below your opponent’s screen. The high ground is no good here.

1 Like

The widescreen thing makes a lot of sense. Just ‘making it happen’ would break a gazillion things, so dems the breaks.

Anyways, I get why console people are mad. PC graphic cards are hard to get a hold of these days so not everyone can be a PC gamer. So, saying “why don’t you just play the pc version” isn’t much of an answer.

1 Like

Hi Pez,

Thanks for the update.
I do think that getting 75-120 sojs to sell, when being able to “farm” games based on Game IPs to spawn DC in multiple games, so all in the group can get an Anni after tipping in x sojs, is possible.

However! When not having Game IPs to farm - selling 75-120 sojs as a single person, without using any dupe methods, is just simple impossible.

Please rethink this solution.

6 Likes

A couple of DClone ideas I’ve had:

1. They could make a weekly thing. 1 week you have to find lenymos to sell to spawn DClone. Another week you have to find ribcrackers to sell to spawn DClone. Set number would have to be sold for DClone to spawn. The only way for anyone to have DClone spawn in their game is if you had found one, and sold it during that week of whatever item is up for selling to spawn DClone. Also, items would be flagged for selling if you traded for the item that is up for selling to spawn DClone. You have to find the item yourself, and not be traded for.

2. Since it is global servers if it still works the same way, and people can see SoJ’s sold to merchants I believe they could make a value of 1-100 sold to spawn him. Every hour everyone gets a chance to guess a number between 1-100. If you guess right you can make a game, and he spawns in that game. If DClone doesn’t spawn within that hour it carries over to the next hour. If you had already guessed a number on the previous hour you can’t guess another number on the carry over hour, and can only guess one number after each DClone spawn.

3. What about if we think backwards. Instead of selling SoJ’s to spawn DClone, what if he is spawned by the number of SoJ’s that drop somehow? Maybe like every 100 SoJ’s dropped(found) globally he spawns on that 100th drop. It resets, and the next 100th drop will spawn DClone. This will make Anni extremely rare because it all depends on who gets the 100th drop of a SoJ found. Although SoJ’s are extremely rare to find as it is so this would definitely make Anni’s rare. Or, another idea on this is strictly whoever finds a SoJ(it has to drop from a monster, not be duped if people do end up duping items, and whether solo self found, or in a group) then DClone automatically spawns on the next Super Unique in that game. That way people will get rewarded for finding a SoJ to spawn DClone. Only thing is it would have to be a Hell game since DClone can’t spawn in NM, or Norm. Unless they remove this restriction. Would have to get a high enough character in that NM, or Norm game to kill him.

4. Another idea could be during a daily timeframe Blizzard could set different time parameters for the finding of a SoJ, and if you find one during that timeframe you can use that SoJ to either keep, or sell to spawn DClone in your game. Example: D2: R launches Thursday, September 23rd. Let’s say they announce Friday, September 24th 1:00P.M. PST to 9:00P.M. PST to find SoJ for DClone. If you play during those hours, and find a SoJ you can have a chance at spawning DClone if you choose to sell that SoJ to spawn DClone. Next day Saturday, September 25th they could use same timeframes, or switch it up, and allow shorter, or longer periods to find a SoJ to use for DClone. This seems like a pretty good idea because people may switch from Baal runs, etc. and group/solo MF to try to find that SoJ during the timeframe set forth.

5. Game gold could involve spawning DClone. Either from gambling a low chance item to spawn him, or at least have a part in spawning him. This would make game gold more valuable!

1 Like

I have three pretty serious concerns with the post.

1. There needs to be chat in the console version. We all know why. It’s not a head scratcher.
  2. Not having lobbies in the console version and only having these presets is too limiting.
  3. Custom games made the game. Being able to type “trist03” into the game search helped us keep the group strong g during the entire run.

Furthermore a combination of these things make a pretty humungous hole in the social capabilities of the game. I am saddened that my purchase on both platforms was now merely a result of damage control. I’ll still have the PC version to experience the full game. Without chat OR lobbies in the console version, I don’t see a current pathway for the console players to not have a frustrating experience similar to the beta. I am completely dumbfounded and appalled that simple text chat, an item that is conveniently included in the xbox gdk, is not automatically included in the console release. By all means on release please do yourself a favor and join a game with 7 random people and try communicating with them. Chat must be a thing. It is a 100%, without rebuttal, a core feature of the game. Now combine this with not having lobbies. So login to the console and try to actually interact with another player to even a small capacity which you can on the PC. It’s not possible. We are going to get a beta product on full release and taking away these three things has completely killed the multiplayer and online social experience. Trading was supposed to be a thing. And the voice chat rebuttal already died. This is due to a much lower percentage of players automatically being on voice. I remember when it was an avid thing all console players had as a gold standard. Unfortunately this is not the 360/PS3 days when everyone used a mic. These days I put on my headset and find that about 1 in 10 players use voice in-game and often it’s even fewer than that number. They aren’t using it. So now we will be scrolling through premade button-clicky things instead of creating a custom game with a unique name, not be able to chat pre-game or outside of game’ or coordinate trades or even be able to have group discussions or gathering outside of the game, we won’t be able to communicate in the game. Once in-game, we’ll be yelling into our headsets hoping the 7 out of 8 players who don’t participate in voice chat will hear us, and there will be no method to reference what was said earlier in the game session. We wont be able to quickly type game messages to let players know “next game” or “here”. Just the word “here” appearing on the screen does WONDERS for the team experience. And the “next game” will not be something you can look up. It’ll always start out empty and we’ll need to wait for randos. “Runs” will not be a thing. Removing the most core feature of being able to lookup a game by name, and also the core feature of text communications is totally absurd and will certainly kill the game. I will add that it won’t be a matter of pressing my controller button (tv and console turn on automatically), plop on the couch, and playing diablo, keyboard at my side. It will be a random hodgepodge of mimes who can’t use sign language and a broken game community that can’t organize into groups or communicate at the most basic level like the PC players. I’ll need to either sit at my desk (I do that all day for work so no thank you) or movePC over to the TV and need to deal with the endeavor of PC-to-TV, which isn’t as convenient as the console format. Once on the PC I will not be able to show console-only friends the true flavor of D2. They will not be experiencing the same game. It will be silly and awkward for them. They won’t be able to type "trist02"in the chat and they won’t be able to enter that game name in the game-finder. They won’t be able to make a game at all, let alone actually freakin’ type the name of the game or type anything at all. It’s something that should have been a stone-solid non-negotiable must-have. God how I got excited for the console release and GOD was I that positive, hopeful, faithful player that said “it’s ok this chat is just not working in the beta, it’ll be in full release because look! The chat page is here, it just doesn’t work in the beta”. There have been plenty of rants in these forums which were never considered, but I hope I demonstrated how limiting and completely awkward the console experience will be, not reflecting that amazing social experience we all love and remember from 20 years ago, and it still holds true today. I will turn the console game on first thing on the 23rd, and if chat isn’t in the game, I will sadly press “A” on the refund button. Along with likely tons of others. I was really really confident in you this time. I thought that this would actually be a 100% victory for Blizzard considering everything. But someone who doesn’t know diablo somehow influenced the right people to not need to develop chat or channels or custom games on the console and the millions of console players new and old alike will now miss out on what diablo truly has to offer. When console players are yelling into their mic hoping someone hears them, not be able to make a dedicated game, and not be able to do proper trades or runs, they will look over to their friend who pumped this game and made them buy it and say “dude. you hounded me to buy a dumb game, bro.” It’s killed. The game on console is absolutely killed because we were too busy talking about how the skull is one pixel off or how auto gold pickup will be convenient. Now the console players will be crippled in such a way that will make it a poor experience. Please include chat, channels, and custom games (baalrunz001) on release. Not doing so will completely destroy the console version’s popularity and playability (and Ratings & Reviews section which never goes away from day one FYI. Those poor reviews will be sitting there years later earliest show up first). Please remember, these items were on the to-do list during beta and now they’re getting dropped completely at the expense of the entire game experience. Please add chat, channels, and custom games to console. I don’t want to refund this ge and I don’t want to play on PC any more. The console shouldn’t be murdered like this! Please!

14 Likes

Please don’t remove Ultrawide support. I understand there is a technical limitation, but I hope you spend the time to fix this.

After playing the Beta, ultrawide support was what I enjoyed the most. Taking it away after people have already pre-ordered the game based on the beta experience is the worst way to handle it.

6 Likes
1 Like

Elaborate excuses looking for justification after the fact. Reality is the ultra wide issue could easily be solved. It’s a variable they could change but won’t. They could have mobs spawn and be alert at any range. Trying to hide their decision behind this kind of excuse is sad, and even more pathetic is people defending it because they’ll turn around and use these excuses for other issues too… kind of like mod support. There is no reason they couldn’t have built mid support into the game. They’ve done it with other titles. A lot of the mods weren’t even total conversions or anything. Most of those were also changing variables that already exist in many cases. I mean it really is sad that a game being remastered can’t fully incorporate ultrawides and lacks mod support. Ultrawide they could fix fairly quickly but mod support, because it was left out since day 1, would be a lot more work to add. But it doesn’t matter how much work it takes without it, this game will be dead in months.

5 Likes

Guys, hurry up and sell your SOJ’s because I want UberD to spawn in my game.

:frowning:

2 Likes

Maybe, but wouldn’t you hate to find out that you made a product and sold it to find out that someone was able to use some kind of mod to some how break the game to become pirated and then you find out you are no longer making a profit and everyone is just pirating your product?

Well I’m glad these points were officially addressed. Unfortunate outcome for TCP and modding though.

2 Likes

How exactly the AI doesnt register on 21:9, but registers on 16:9 (or 19:9 for the matter) when is hit offscreen?

You guys realize people will test these things, and if it turns to be a lie, how bad this would sound?

3 Likes

Shouldn’t the characters look similar to the original ones then?
They now look like they’re 20 years older and their bodies don’t look human anymore.
And they don’t even look like 20 years older version of themselves, for example the Assassin is like a completely different person from another continent. And the paladin didn’t have that much hair and Nicki Minaj’s lips.

They also look too wide.
Maybe some of the artists from VV tried to mimic the old characters using a 16:9 screen and didn’t realize the original game was in 4:3? I’m honestly wondering this, because no one looks that wide without being obese.

10 Likes

That’s an odd assumption to make that I purchase an expensive, wide-screen monitor for one purpose, or for one game for that matter. I use it for a variety of games and especially for work. My issue is specific to this game…if I can play other games on my native resolution of the monitor, then this 1 game I can live without if it won’t support it.

To me it looks like you’re saying the monitor purchase was pointless. Not being specific about either the monitor purchase or the game purchase being worthless threw me off.

My apologies.

2 Likes

That seems to be the case. IMO, you can’t sync a modded multiplayer game without porting over your game files to each player on the server. Since multiplayer isn’t supported, mods will be restricted to single player. However, it’s possible, that in future, that there will be a multiplayer cloud for mods approved by blizzard devs. That would require someone check every line of code, then approve. It’s a pipe dream, but it’s doable.
I speak as an old guy modder, and not as a dev.
So far, all multiplayer mods have been relegated to setup switches. Even these must be carefully implemented, and play tested, prior to release.

2 Likes

Nope, I don’t care enough. Ahhh my morning dose of comedy, thanks.