Diablo 4 VS Grim Dawn

What do you think will be better if it came out?

Can’t say until D4 actually comes out.

But… GD and D3 are my two favorite ARPG’s, each for completely different reasons.

I dare say I’ll be playing D4 pretty religiously when it comes out, I’ll definitely give it a fair run as I do most new ARPG’s, forsaking the rest of my library for a while.

Not only that, it’s the first game in a while that ALL my irl friends are hyped about.

Wether that’s days, months, years, decades… I guess I’ll finish as I started.

Can’t say until D4 actually comes out.

1 Like

if you like solo, nothing comes close. multiplayer is hardly playable.
but also in d3 multiplayer has been garbage forever. i would rather play with 3 npcs.

Grim Dawn’s combat puts me into sleep

3 Likes

Seriously? I find I have to be more aware as there are a ton more things to worry about in GD.

That could also be because I’ve played D3 so long, that I unconsciously react to elite/boss abilities via muscle memory, then again, there’s not a lot to remember.

Other than that and movement speed, it’s very similar to D3 once you’re well geared. Especially now with the updates to monster health bars etc… Some people don’t like that, but it’s a huge improvement for me.

The combat doesn’t feel as smooth/fluid as D3. But nothing compares to D3 in that regard. IMO D3’s combat is not only the best, but a distant first.

GD’s customisation/character building is what sets it apart and I’m not even talking about modding. Wouldn’t know about that anyway, I prefer to “100%” a game as it was created.

For me, it also ticks all the important boxes for a great game. More so than D3, except the MOST important thing, which for me is the feel of the combat.

It’s what’s kept me playing this thing for so long. I am very curious to see how/if they will top it for D4.

2 Likes

I played Grim Dawn for hours and hours solo and loved it. But I am not compelled to come back to it as I do with D3, with the pleasure of starting over each season with my friends… I expect/hope it will be the same with D4.

1 Like

Try to play as a Nightblade in “Grim Dawn”.
You will blink and stab them in their head.
Run away and do it again, that’s how fun it is.

2 Likes

Grim Dawn is the better game currently.
It should be possible for D4 to become better, but it will of course take effort.

1 Like

D4 start at the start vs Grim Dawn at the start?

Grim Dawn hands down, as D4 isn’t even released yet to make it a fair judgement.

On a more serious note:

Offline options, a good variety of endgame activities, lots of viable builds for a very large number of classes and styles of gameplay within each class, gear that doesn’t rain from the sky but you still have a means to target different item types if your luck is really bad… Diablo 4 has quite a bit to contend with to draw my attention.

2 Likes

I dunno maaaan I just can’t get used to it
I’m running through endless same looking swamps, killing ugly zombies, not knowing what I am even doing, a ton of quests on my quest board, looting stuff that I cannot visually identity
Playing more different games currently, I realise there is so much that you have to consider when making a game
You can’t just “insert content” you have to make it somewhat…enjoyable and accessible for the player

2 Likes

Certainly true.
It is not like Grim Dawn is better in all regards. I would take D3 combat over Grim Dawn any day. Some of its “end-game” is also unnecessarily cumbersome; like finding the faction bosses with random spawn points throughout basically the whole game is unreasonable imo. Although the latest expansion added an end-game system quite similar to GRifts.
But a lot of the game systems; itemization, socket system, crafting, skills, constellation passives, are much better than what Diablo has ever done imo.

2 Likes

yea, like
they have a lot of good systems, just like PoE
just the execution sucks
you cant get into it
everything is too small, too much, too unorganized
they did it like some nerds “well, we know whats happening there”
yea, but your customers dont!

Who knows because D4 isn’t out? We can assume though that D4 will have the better gameplay which isn’t hard because Grim Dawn plays like crap. But, GD has depth of items, skills, builds, quests, etc that are leagues beyond D3, and what we’ve seen of D4 thus far, it will still be better than that.

I think D4 is in major trouble. They had to hire someone to come in that’s been known to fix development issues. It was scrapped once before, what they shown off outside the cinematic which blizzard is still the best at shows the game is as small and shallow as a birdbath.

Agreed. PoE is a little over-complicated for my liking. I still gave it several hundred hours though, so I won’t say I didn’t enjoy it at all. I love the story behind it and imo, is the best of the 3 mentioned here. I also loved SSF

I’m not a huge fan of the currency system (I prefer my coins and mats separate), or the fact I have to actually buy stash or buy skins if I don’t want to look like a bum the whole time… but meh, its a free game and I was happy enough to throw them some cash… definitely not a deal breaker. The thing that ultimately made me drop it was, again, the combat. I find it to be the worst of these 3.

I guess the things that bother you about GD, dont really bother me… I certainly get what you mean though. But… have you played GD recently?

Components now always drop as a full one (no more combining) and… the best part… AUTO PICK UP! Along with everything else lootable, other than actual gear… IF that’s of any consequence. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Between that and GD… GD wins out. Though, PoE is still in my top 5.

1 Like

yea i was playing it just a few hours ago
but its just too…i dont know
messy xD
theres too much of the same, too small stuff all over your screen and you have no idea whats going on

displaying the content is a huge factor just after the content itself
and i feel like small nerdy indie studios just dont really care or understand why diablo still has more players
its just more consumer friendly

The last part. GD has so many endgame activities that you can target anything and not get easily bored. The flow of combat is maybe a bit slower than it should be , but that is my preference. Also, choices matter a lot when building a character - so far we can compare skills in D4 and GD and GD wins hands down. Too low amount of skills plus the talent tree ( which is kinda disappointing )

vs.

like 20 skills per class (you have 2 classes) which can be further changed (and it is still just in the tree, I am not talking about gear now) plus devotion tree which has hard cap of points and adds another level of customization (and nope, this is not the same as the talent tree in D4 - show me, where D4 talent tree provides additional active or proc SKILLS, not bonuses, but legit SKILLS like Meteor Shower - for reference, look up GD Ulzuin’s torch devotion).

1 Like

Nice, well the loot update is an improvement. But I can’t say you’re wrong. One thing that annoys me in that game is sorting stuff out… There is a LOT of stuff, as you said and takes a good chunk of time sifting through it.

This is a very good point. Both PoE and GD suffer from the same problem. I at least understand how to use GD’s loot filter… I had to download one for PoE heh. :sweat_smile:

Diablo 4 VS Grim Dawn 2

The game is up to date, Veteran mode will be harder and fun.
More items and challenge to come!

Veteran mode in Grim Dawn has been a lot of fun. Have to be more careful with how you position enemies, crowd control, and which enemies you’re trying to kill first.

Personally I’ve rather enjoyed the combat in Grim Dawn, it doesn’t feel as hectic or give that feeling that you ‘gotta go fast’. Exploring the world is encouraged with a variety of hidden goodies like special chests, shrines and extra boss fights. Much better than the feel of “Kill monsters and move on ASAP” I get from D3.

3 Likes