Diablo 4... this is what's wrong with D4 and D3

Blizzard! I have played Diablo since it was Diablo. As in D1. This is simple. You can make Diablo 4 the magical game that D2 was, and that D3 should’ve been but is not. In D3 and now in D4… you CANNOT have proper PVP or DUELS… because of all the broken gameplay elements you’re including. D2 was made for both PvM and PvP and they figured out the correct systems and they both work perfectly and beautifully together. If it’s not broke, why “fix” it? Here’s how you fix D4 becase we all know it’s just going to be a D3 clone and not Diablo 2’s true sequel which it SHOULD BE. You messed it up bad with D3. Please for the love of all that’s holy, get this right with D4. All you have to do to capture that Diablo magic, that DIABLO 2 magic are the following:

-Strip all the cooldowns, fury regens, all these crazy things. Skip all the crazy rune adaptions you’re doing. Skip all the bizarre things you’re doing.
Diablo 2 already figured it out for you.
You don’t need “willpower”, or “Intelligence”.
Diablo 2 shows you what you need:
All you need is:
Strength
Dexterity
Vitality
Energy

-The rune system and runewords introduced in D2 already work! Just use the same ones, the same names even. But improve on them slightly. Make many, many more new runewords… Vex, Zod, Ber…. just keep them! Heart of the Oak, Destruction, Grief… KEEP THEM!! WTH.

-You don’t need Critical hit chance, critical hit damage, weapon speed… cool down reductions… Diablo 2 already got it right! You just need Damage Reduction %, Faster Cast Rate (FCR), Increase Attack Speed (IAS), Faster Hit Recovery (FHR), Faster Run Walk (FRW), Increases xskill dmg… ETC!!

You don’t need classes having their own “diverse” types of the same thing. Example: in Diablo IV A Sorceress might have “mana” and a Barbarian might have “fury”. They are the same thing!
Diablo 2 shows you the correct way:
Just keep Life and Mana! Keep it simple! You’re over-complicating it when Diablo 2 has already shown you the way!! Why do you think people are always hating on D3 and soon to be D4?
Why make things harder? Keep it SIMPLE.

-Make it dark and gothic. The environments for D4 actually may be on target…

-PvP arenas. Make it just like D2! Only the strongest and best will dominate in PvP. If you step out of town or into an Arena (pit), have it so one player, if strong enough, can dominate everyone else. Survival of the best and the strongest. Just like in D2.

-No more easy or handed to you items or sets. Bring back item trading. In Diablo 2, you had to trade or you’d never find what you needed. And that’s what made Diablo 2 so magical. Every unique or sometimes godly rares items felt like you had won the lottery when you obtained them. Diablo 3 yay… you were just given a slightly better version of the same thing you had already been given 100x over.

You’re destroying the magic and legacy that Diablo 2 introduced. You’re killing it off. You can’t just focus on the environments, you have to focus on the gameplay, and the skill etc. Luckily, stop what you’re doing right now and just do what Diablo 2 already showed you that works. Just use their system and make minor improvements.

Obviously, we need an endgame. Baal runs a million times over sucks. Maybe something similar to PoE’s end map system?

What about special PvP-only gear awarded for special or overly challenging quests?

Also, Rares should be Uniques and Uniques should be rares… Unique means one of a kind. Which is what a RARE is. A rare is something that some people have but not all… not the definition of unique. That IS something D2 got wrong. You can fix it! You have the power!

Do not screw this up. Diablo 2 and true Diablo fans are counting on you.

14 Likes

What? No.
That would be a bad idea.

Actually. D2 showed the entire world not to do attribute systems. Like, one of the weakest parts of the game according to, what I though was basically everyone.

If you only mean the names then… they do not matter?
The attributes could be called A, B, C and D.

I guess they worked on a technical level. But D4 runewords already seem more interesting.
I wouldnt mind seeing something like D2 runewords back, but what they offered can be done entirely through crafting. No need to waste the socket system on it.

Uh. Diablo 2 got weapon speed…
Anyway, nah, Diablo 2 had decent itemization. But not exactly great. Plenty of space for improvements there. Look at Grim Dawn primarily. And some of which luckily seems to be happening in the Q4 blog. D4 is still not where it should be on itemization, but seems like it is moving in the right direction. Which is a surprise on its own.

Well, they are not the same thing, if they are designed to be different from each other. Which they hopefully are.
Makes classes more interesting if they have differences.

Cant say I am surprised :smiley: But yeah, no free for all PvP like that is ever going to happen. Ever. Nor should it. It will be opt-in. Other than that, sure, it can be more or less like D2.

Now that is a contradiction.
I hope items will be quite rare, and definitely not handed to players.
For the same reason, do not allow trading. Easiest way to get items handed to you. Obviously.

Oh. A surprise.
Anyway, yeah, agreed. PoE got the best end-game systems in the genre. Learn from it.

8 Likes

At OP just no. I’ve played the series since day one as well, and you’ve got some serious rose colored goggles on.

First responder, no as well. You lost credibility when you suggest POEs endless beta tester leagues are quality end game. And I love POE and have cleared all content with 40 challenge in Harvest SSF but the game is broken AF - fun in its own way.

D4 needs to be true to one thing Diablo. And developed for PC, screw mobile/console MOD bs. (Personal opinion).

5 Likes

Oh look another 0-post D2 loving PKer…

Good thing it’s supposed to be a brand new game and not a D2 remake.

Go back to D2 and stay there since you like it so much.

/thread

18 Likes

D4 whould be D4 and not D2 clone. Why can’t all of these 0 post D2 fanatics understand that? I’m especially baffled about why they want to bring back some of the worst aspects of D2.

Example: the OP mentions the PvP should be just like in D2. In many ways that was the very worst way PvP could be implemented. It should never be allowed to freely kill any player who is not interested nor willing to participate in PvP. All PvP should always be opt in, restricted to very specific zones, as it going to be in D4.

5 Likes

Because they’re multiple-account trolls who think making a new one every week makes them seem like they’re in the majority.

6 Likes

The OP also mentions making good items actually rare and bringing back trading to which Shadout comments it being a contradiction and that is actually very true. Allowing free trading completely negates the whole point of items being rare.

D4 will have trading but with restrictions. As such rare and really good items will and should be untradeable. Players should earn the good gear through playing the game, not by playing the trade market.

It’s perfectly fine if top tier items are actually rare drops. But if one can just buy them, what’s the point? That’s something these D2 fanatics never seem to understand either.

4 Likes

They do understand, but they don’t care because it goes completely against what they want D4 to be: a cesspool of item sellers. Just like D2.

It’s not a game to them, it’s a cash supplement. That’s why they’re still so bent out of shape over BOA in D3.

5 Likes

I dislike the league/season concept in general, but the actual content in the end-game is good imo (atlas primarily, but also the big variety in the content).
As for PoEs gameplay, I have a huge list of issues. But that is also separate from its endgame.

1 Like

Can’t people wait until an ACTUAL GAME is out and able to be judged? Or at least some more demo videos?
This “D4 is dead unless you do x-y-z”, thing needs to stop. You have nothing to judge from. One mans opinions should not force anything through either.

You can’t just “make magic” with copying something frame by frame that was made 20 years ago
The attribute system didn’t work properly
Frame breakpoints were a result of low pfs

2 Likes

Waiting for the game to come out, is a bit too late for changing course.

Not that there is basically anything in OPs post that should be in D4.

You can. Just nobody cares. (Some) people played duels in D2 for fun. Endgame content they invented themselves, because they had nothing else to do. D3 pvp is as good as D2. PoE pvp is as good as D2. But 99,9% players just don’t care. Because ARPG is not a pvp genre. MOBA is pvp genre. Counter-strike is PVP game. Real PVP players go play PVP games, that is where they are - and not in D2, PoE or D3.

6 Likes

Past tense now, but D3 servers similar to PTR could of been tweaked for PvP. That is whatever it would take to make PvP work and be enjoyable. Characters imported. Could of even been like Challenge rifts.

No. D2 Energy stat is almost useless. D4 stat attribution is simply superior than D2 stat attribution.

Huh what? Pretty sure that trading is easy handed out.

Don’t speak for us.

3 Likes

This is very true. The resource skills also drive me crazy. Just give us some mana regen. I don’t want to use a “rotation” specifically to fill up my resource, give me a pot or give me regen gear or I’ll just play Grim Dawn or Diablo 2.

I also don’t want Blizzard to lead me to water, let me find the water. Don’t change out my hotkeys cause I hit lvl 3 with a skill I automatically acquired, leave the auto attack there until I change it. The game should not be babying players to such a degree.

By all means, don’t let us keep you…

And just LOL at fury + mana being the same…one being fast-regenerating, the other needing building up (outside of that one passive).

When God was raining brains, some people were hiding under umbrellas.

2 Likes

I mean, according to you they were working on a D2 remaster and dropped it and put the characters into D4 so I’ll take what you say with a heavy grain of salt.

Oh and you’re suggesting that Redstar paid $20-40 to come onto this forum and troll.

Redstar’s take isn’t that uncommon though I agree and disagree with several of his positions, he’s right that we need a lot more D2 in the game but I don’t agree with all of it. For instance, I don’t think all the runewords should be copied from D2 but maybe a few for nostalgia sake. I think a new attribute system for D4 is just fine. I think uniques as Blizzard showed last quarterly update is absolutely what a unique is and is in the right direction (a pretty static item that has some affixes that may not able to spawn on that piece of gear otherwise or that is just all around interesting, can’t spawn on rares, etc - a piece of gear you can look up and theorycraft around. Not bigger numbers as a super rare.).

I do think that D4 should be more like D2. It would be a mistake to make D4 too similar to D3 cause I think a lot of people in the D2 community would reject it.

1 Like

Phew! That was quite a rant! You good? Did you get it all out?

Okay, great!

D4 should be a fresh new game with all the good qualities that the Diablo franchise should have. Take all the good from all the Diablo games and make a fantastic ARPG!

There you go.

7 Likes

i disagree with pretty much everything… go back to d2 with you lol

You are for sure not included in the “true fans” catogery, since you hate everything outside of D2 wich is soon 1 out of 5 games, so how can you be a true fan and what makes you believe everyone that dont agree with you is not?

1 Like