Diablo 4 Please LISTEN TO MrLlamaSC! on itemization and resource management

I do agree, we shouldnt expect d4 to be a d2 remake, for me it looks great, im really hoping bosses are supremely hard to take them down.

1 Like

You exaggerate like crazy and dismiss reasoned arguments with “it’s not 1999 anymore”. You do realize that good ideas are timeless, right? Yeah, we’re all going to take you seriously.

2 Likes

Diablo 2 is a pretty great game. It’s 20 years old and still has thousands of active players. It’s 20 years old and there are tons of streamers. Did I mention it’s 20 years old?

9 Likes

D3 has 8 years old and people still play,was a great game? No…

From my experience of D3 forum in past few years, balancing the opinions from the players is much harder than balancing a game. I wish D4 devs can listen as many opinions as possible :slight_smile:

BTW, my thought, agree that D4 shouldn’t be a D2 Remake if there is already a Remake plan, because I want fresh air. Otherwise, D3 “Action” plus D2 “RPG” is most secure way as D4’s game direction.

1 Like

Does he address ancient items? I’m afraid none of it will matter if they bring back ancients and game will be ruined regardless of how the rest of the system works.

Please no more USELESS legendaries

But Diablo 4 isn’t going to be Diablo 3 either. You guys got Diablo Immortal then got boo’d by the Diablo community. We need to take the best of both games and put them into one and MrLlama acknowledges that Diablo 2 had superior systems. Diablo 3 was dumbed down so Blizzard could get a bigger consumer base since it was easier to understand to the point where my 6 year old nephew could play it.

I don’t understand how someone finds it fun to do a rift, have legendary and set items fall from the sky, keep doing the same thing (And getting the exact same item a million times) until they get a primal, then go into a Greater rift and group up the enemies and proc, then move onto the next group of Elite’s then group them all up, then proc, and repeat it over and over.

4 Likes

D3 was a much better game in terms of interrractions tbh, let’s face it

They SCREWED UP GREATLY cause of the auction house “scandal” and the scaling-multiplier BS

They really only screwed up the endgame of D3, otherwise D3 was much more interesting game…

I don’t mind people prefer the D2 itemization “model” but don’t think they fully understand the D3 either… It’s not that it’s less complex or less meaningful, it’s just SUMMARIZED EASIER as a number-read to the casual playerbase

The thing I dislike the D2 fans is that they don’t criticize D3 for where D3 screwed things up and could have done better, but rather their attitude is this is not D2… Doing the same again for D4 as well, like W.T.F.

Like, for example do you really, I mean HONESTLY RECONSIDER and think again = Do you really like a 17 passive permanent auras and stackable stat-enhancer with 4 active abilities (IN TOTAL) class be added in the D4 ?, I really don’t understand those people, I honestly don’t understand the mindset behind it tbh

Like = BOTH D2 and D3 had (IMO) a lot of BS, it’s just that people learned how to “workaround” the D2 (it’s been like 20 years) BS and the D3 BS was not only non-avoidable but also “well advertied as a critical core feature” to use as a base to expand the game upon

More of that in maybe a separate topic but bottom line being => PLEASE criticize D3 for where D3 failed, not because it wasn’t D2 or didn’t fit the D2 expectations “predefined” stats/items model

D2 is still a decent game and I still play. D3 is a better game than D2. Hopefully, D4 will be a better game than D3.

However, it should not be a D3 or D2 clone and from what I have seen is not. Don’t bring back a belt inventory.

1 Like

I do get what you mean but it’s not about making D4 like D2. It’s about learning why cooldowns or stat primary gives a limiting option to players at the end game. It’s about understanding how things like stats, cooldowns, inventory space could bring more decision making into the game.

Yes, no one should be saying D2 is flawless and D4 should follow. But rather understand how these items and resource management interacts with each other and help to give a unique yes continuous end game content that is created by the players themselves.

D3 itemisation gave like a set everyone was aiming for. Once they got it, then farm another set? Or farm for primal? And if I get a full set of primal, then I am lacking of end game content as I would only be pushing greater rifts.

It’s really about learning the best of both worlds D2 and D3 as they were created in a different time. So keeping up with how people interract and create their end game content.

1 Like

Great point. I 100% agree. I enjoyed the fact that in Diablo 2, If you had say 20 resistance on lightning in hell, you still could teleport through black souls and take massive damage, but you can take more risks and as a player, have more choices of how to kill the monster your fighting instead of always playing defensively.

My idea was to make health potions hard to craft. So it would force the player to use the health potion sparingly and say if you had 20 health potions finally made, you can make a conscious decision to really attack a drop of enemies that you would normally die on if you so chose to. It would really help hardcore players too. If I play hardcore and I pop a health potion, I’ll have to wait 11 more seconds until i’m finally able to pop another forcing me to play extremely defensively. It’s better than Diablo 3’s 30 seconds, but 11 seconds is 11 seconds too long. As a hardcore player, I want to be able to take risks if I know I have those potions to back me up when taking that gamble.

2 Likes

I agree with this, but I also agree with the title of this thread. They should listen to him. Hear him out, understand his point of view, and add it to the rest of the ideas they’re hearing. They should listen to our feedback with open minds and move forward from there.

1 Like

It’s also not just him. A lot of other steamers and the bulk of the community is very critical of what they’ve seen from D3s itemization. Even D3 streamers were bummed to hear about ancients and the philosophy of blues/whites/yellows are auto trash

5 Likes

I 100% agree with MrLlama. He’s wrapped up in D2 for a damn good reason, because D2 was legendary and D2 was the sole reason why diablo 3 sold 3 million copies on day 1. Diablo 3 is the reason why the game has less viewers than runescape for the past 3 years.

If you want a legendary game base it off of diablo 2 and not 3. The itemization for one was 10/10, where as diablo 3’s failed. The economy and player interaction in diablo 2 was so much greater, where as in diablo 3 you could give less than 2 craps about interacting with any party because it wasn’t necessary for trading, only greater rifts.

9 Likes

in my opinion, d3 is the best diablo game to date. and i played all of them, a lot. d3 is better than d2 almost in every way, and i dont think that d2 had a perfect itemization whatsoever. his video and arguments suck, one example if you dont realize that magic find is outdated stat in 2020 years, it tells a lot. as one of the posters said: you like d2, go play d2, or wait till d2 remaster, still its outdated rudimental game and i doubt any of its design principles or pillars should be taken to d4, maybe except the darkness theme, which is already taken to d4. im really worried about this mindless d2 fanboys affecting d4 too much, but from what i’ve seen, developers are adequate and not bringing any rudimental s88t from d2.

I still don’t believe that a d2 remaster will ever happen simply because they don’t have the code or the artwork anymore and would have to remake the game from the ground up which will ruin what it is currently.

And I’m worried about the D3 fanboys affecting D4. The way they developed D3 for you guys was what caused D3 to flop in the first place. If you like the garbage from D3 please stay in D3, don’t ruin the Diablo PC series for the second time in a row.

10 Likes

This video also brings up some really good points

3 Likes

what the game needs is d2’s itemization system but buffed up even more and it needs an skill system that makes poe’s look easy by comparison,
but I also think the devs need to make the game they want to make.

Don’t get caught in the trap that D2 did well either

There were TONS of BS that shouldn’t repeat again (Lower resist packs, Spectral attack mob, Lightning enchanted mobs, and last and not the least = Static charge mobs in a lightning pack)

Overall D2 was a very blunt/boring stat spam (Except Items), the real decision happened in item choices (i.e. the Inventory, not so much the Build itself)

Gonna create a looong thread of summarization of good things and bad of both games as well as suggestions of what I think D4 should aim