Diablo is a universe, like Star Wars or Marvel.
Each product must add value to the universe.
- Expand lore and main storyline, through a series of quests (4 to 20 chapters) forming a story.
- Completing a chapter of a story unlocks, forever:
- The possibility to loot Story Cosmetics or Story Equipment
- “The One Who Is Forever, Part 1” => Trag’Oul’s Avatar Pet
- “The One Who Is Forever, Part 2” => Trag’Oul’s Avatar Wings
- “The One Who Is Forever, Part 3” => Trag’Oul’s Avatar Helm
- “The Priests of Rathma, Part 1” => Skeletal Pet
- “The Priests of Rathma, Part 2” => Skeletal Wings
- “The Priests of Rathma, Part 3” => Bones of Rathma Boots
- “Deep Sleep, Part 1” => Nightmarish Pet
- “Deep Sleep, Part 10” => Legacy of Nighmares
- “Deep Sleep, Part 20” => Legacy of Dreams
- Lore is narrated, and played as a memory
- Players pay for a Story
- Players are rewarded with Story items added to the pool of loot
- Seasonal Gameplay, with different rules
- Like a parallel universe, aka Marvel’s “What If”
- Like an iframe or a worker, if you like HTML
- Completing a season unlocks, forever:
- The possibility to loot Seasonal Cosmetics
- Pay 2 Play
- Objectives of season completion are ajusted to the seasonal advantage
- Players of a given season still need to play a lot to unlock rewards.
- Seasonal Characters are locked into the season
- They are never transfered out of season
- They never compete with non-seasonal characters
- Ephemeral fingerprint
- Regularly, Characters are deleted
- Regularly, Leaderboards are reset
- Forever Live
- Players can anytime create a character for Season X
- Fun to play in group:
- Player 1: Remember the Season 16 (Ring of Royal Grandeur) ?
- Player 2: Oh yeah, that was cool and unique. Let’s do this tonight !
- Player 3: I missed it last time. Give me just the time to unlock it !
- Leaderboards can be challenged, even after 10 years
- Completion rewards can be unlocked, even after 10 years
- Players pay for a different gameplay
- Players are rewarded with Seasonal cosmetics added to the pool of loot
- New Continent
- With new stories that are coherent together and cannot be released separately
- With a new major boss to defeat
- New Class
- Creating new classes requires time
- Diablo 3 Necromancer is a good example
To keep a Dev Team operational and produce great content over the next 15 years.
Season completion objectives are adjusted to the seasonal advantage. Season is an isolated realm and players fingerprint is ephemeral (regularly, characters are deleted and leaderbords are reset)