Diablo 3 PTR 2.7.3 - Has Ended

The 1000% damage on the 4pc was there previously and is important to keep the IK6/R4 charge barb build viable, though, who knows for how much longer. But it’s useless for a pure R6 build.

The new R6 mechanic looks pretty cool but I’d have preferred it on one of the support legendaries. This way, it could apply to MotE too.

Personally, Barbs only have 2.5/5 sets that do it for me. I love IK, MotE is interesting and makes sense, and WotW is fun once geared up (I just hate using it to gear up).

H90… I hate managing stacks and this set is too narrowly focused. It should have supported all primary skills plus Ancient Spear, Overpower and Revenge to satisfy the ranged barb fantasy properly, and round off on support for remaining spenders. They’d do away with stacks and DR would be active as long as one of your Shouts is in effect.

R6… needs to have charging as a significant damage dealer. You think they’d have learnt how unsatisfying it is for the enabling skills to be nothing more than a flick after how much happier M6 players were after sentries were added to the 6pc damage bonus. If they want R6 to support Ancient Spear, that is fine, but at least make FC do some damage still. But if they want R6 to satisfy the ranged barb fantasy, it falls well short. The ranged barb we all have in mind is Weapon Throw + Ancient Spear… which my suggestion for H90 would achieve.

1 Like

Because in the original, you’d wear or cube the Belt of the Trove which automatically casts Bombardments, thereby ensuring you permanently had the mitigation bonus from the set armour. You’d also rune Bombardment with Barrel of Spikes, so it was doing Thorns damage when it landed, and therefore buffed by the stacks of the set. As Invoker has changed from single-target with Punish, to area damage with Slash, it’s now more effective to cube Omnislash, so that thorns hits everything in a 360 degree arc around the Crusader, and manually cast the Bombardments to maintain the mitigation bonus.

Glad I didn’t pop in to test this lol I was wondering how they would make it work for HC players XD I sat up all evening yesterday waiting for PTR to pop while playing Phoenix Point on Steam; until I just went to bed (EU). I guess that was for nothing unless it is an oversight like Kirottu suggests.

Yes, I know the bombardment is for damage reduction, and the belt will keep it up, but in this situation it’s damage is not significant. The main damage comes from Punish or Slash.
I would like to use Omnislash in cube, and Cpt.Crimson on gear, but right now I have to use the Belt of the Trove because of the DR and for nothing more! Or, I leave the belt and try other way to compensate the DR… And I know the Belt of the Trove is necessary for the thorns bombardment build, and it works pretty good with all of its legendary powers, but in a slash thorn build… its just useless… I think…

The reason you’d use the Belt of the Trove is so that the Bombardments are cast automatically, but it’s entirely possible to just have it on your ability bar and cast it manually to maintain the mitigation buff. I was on the PTR last night and I had Omnislash and RoRG in the Cube, with 5 pieces of Invoker and 2 pieces of Captain Crimson. I had Bombardment / Barrel of Spikes on the ability bar and cast it manually. Also, the damage isn’t trivial once you get lots of stacks from the Invoker set.

I know the Raekor 4P bonus (1000% charge dmg) is good for IK charge builds, but in this new rework, which is: Legacy of Raekor (4-piece Bonus): Furious Charge gains the effect of every rune and deals 1000% increased damage. For every 1% Life you are missing, the damage of your Ancient Spear is increased by 2%. The Ancient Spear “part” is… useless for IK Charge builds. And now (in this rework) they force us to use Ancient Spear with the Boulder Toss rune. They force us to use only one skill with a specific rune to achive max damage! In the current version of Raekor, the damage buff is for: every fury spender!! The opportunities are better!
Overall, I would like to see more sets, that buffs general damage, and you decide what build would you want to create. :slight_smile:

Yes, this was in my mind too… I will try this.
But still… I don’t think bombardment is worth it. It’s better to put some other skills for its place.

Was working just fine for me until the PTR went wobbly last night…

Nice job! I’ve done the GR100 with 6 deaths, but I made it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I’ll try what you recommended!

Yes it is. It adds nothing but they also didn’t subtract anything that stops IK6/R4 from working.

It’s like when they added CA damage to Bombardier’s Rucksack. People still play a multishot variant of M6 where the CA part of the leg affix is useless. Likewise, the CA variant uses Yang’s Recurve for the massive resource cost reduction… the MS oriented legendary affix adds nothing.

This I agree with.

I reckon every class needs to have have at least one set that buffs all damage but if all 5 sets for a class buffs all damage, it will make balancing across them harder.

Conversely, sets that only buff one skill to be the main damage dealer are too narrowly focused.

As far a Barb sets go, I’d have been happy for the sets have had this focus:

• IK: general damage buff but with an emphasis on spamming spenders (they need legendaries powers or a rune to make Seismic Slam spammable)
  • MotE: perfect as is with the exception of the damage output. You can choose to focus on Earthquake, Boulder Toss or Seismic Slam as the main damage dealer
  • WotW: a little narrowly focused but I think the set works for Rend and WW and can be kept as is

the sets I would change:

• H90: frenzy is too narrowly focused, make it all primary skills plus Ancient Spear, Overpower and Revenge. I like the focus on Shouts which the damage reduction mechanic should have been based around
  • R6: FC needs to do damage too and the set needs to facilitate an FC only setup or one that also incorporates other skills (much like MotE does)

With Monk PoJ set, I use only sweeping wind as a primary damage dealer, and it work! :smiley:
I hit GR90 without any problems! And its fun, because you have a big “aura” damage that hits enemies around you constantly! A very satisfying build! This is one example why I like overall damage buff sets!

But that’s because the set synergises with Sweeping Wind and we’re encouraged to use it or TR.

Now imagine if a support legendary for another skill (say, LTK) was buffed to be competitive on the Sunwuko set, and say an adverse effect was that LTK was now the strongest damage dealing skill to use with PoJ… it would be a very clunky playstyle to TR into a mob, stop (and have your DR drop), and unleash LTK and continue with TR. PoJ may as well be limited to TR, SW and CS for damage considering the way it’s played.

Whatever game mode, the game should never kill the player! Bad enough to lose your character.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried to level up conventionally; starting with 0 paragon and then testing the scream drops and gearing as a fresh 70 - let me know your experience; I’ve not had time to complete mine yet. Thanks

From what I’ve seen so far screams drop pretty early on in GR tiers at a very surprising rate; it seems a fresh 70 can easily get into an echo, but this was not on a fresh 70 that I tested nor was it with zero paragon.

I was seeing huge drops and XP averaging between 60-100 Rank every attempt which I dunno; maybe it’s a little too fast?

It’s so fast that I would think this is the final season before D4 beta :smiley:

My understanding is that the petrified screams are guaranteed from killing an RG. But you will get more answers on the PTR Feedback forum.

Most of the chit chat will move there now that the forum is open again.

1 Like

I can’t start a PTR game at the moment, I get a 30002 error code…

2 Likes

same here, been happening since late last night

1 Like

Been having issues with making a game all day yesterday and today and the one time I did get into a game the latency and lag was so bad that I couldn’t even see my character on the screen or close out the game through the ESC menu I had to end it through task manager

Is there any updates on PTR? I have been trying to start the game since 10 AM PST and it keeps giving me a warning message for game creation: code 30002 and game joining code 30002. This the worst start to a season since I have been playing since season 5.