Diablo 2 remake misses

There are some great enhancements to the game but some changes are making me regret pre purchasing. (I had blizzard dollars so ehh.)

Too much straying from the original - some areas have added too much or just tried to look more real or something and it just looks worse. When I watch comparison videos it just seems like I can see more while watching the old Diablo 2. Maybe it’s just the youtube videos, maybe too many filters are being added… Maybe too much of the remake isn’t quite portraying the original as well as it could.

Example: Akara’s hut. Look at her hut in a side by side comparison. How can anyone think the remake hut looks better than the original? Skip to 3:48 and pause it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jCzd7bMTjI

Too much fog of war/filters in the game. The original is nice and clean and you can see. In this one there seems to be areas where you are battling the fog of war/there is a filter over the entire screen.

Colors are gone from some of the environments, weapons, armor, characters, etc that were there in the original game. The characters are so dull they blend in with the environment way too easily. Some of the great colors that really made the game pop are gone. In some areas blood shows up great. In others it is dull and blends right in with the ground even though in the original game it popped out nicely. Some areas you can’t see anything unless you use a spell to light it up.

The characters look awful; seriously is it that hard to copy someone else’s homework? Even though we are the teacher’s grading you, we don’t want you to change it up a little. Maybe, if you are making it more scary/more adult, then fine… but when you make it less scary/less adult… Not fine. Maybe you were trying to pull a Sonic the Hedgehog and get other people to make them for you? Or is it the woke agenda?

Amazon - my favorite comment was “It looks like my grandpa is cosplaying her.” She looks like a man, you’ve made her go PG and covered her up more. In game her armor looks awful with no detail as well from the video’s I’ve watched. You made her less slender… Have you ever seen a track runner? A pole vaulter? Believe it or not, there was nothing unrealistic about her body before.

Assassin - you changed her race. Why? Please be faithful to the original and make her the goth/vampire that she was before. Looks a bit thicker and not as much like an agile assassin.

Druid - Wow… you made him look like he got mauled by a bear… even though he’s a druid that isn’t a good thing. He also became a lot thicker for some reason? Can the more slender one not be a powerful druid?

Necromancer - he looks way to think. Give me the old, skinny, creepy guy back. His armor is way off as well. Where is the black?

Barbarian - he got slender… yes… if there is one character that should get more slender… apparently the character who is all about brute force should get that treatment. Who made this choice? The original has some core muscles yet the remake is pure flat?

Soc - got more clothing, thicker, staff looks worse. How?

Pally - got thicker. Armor actually seems like an improvement in the selection screen.

Andy - why does she have a butt flap from her thong? Seriously? Are butts against the law now?

Fetish - too much demon head. Aren’t they suppose to be more shrunken human?

There’s probably more I’m upset with but I’ve just lost all motivation to go watch things about the game. Maybe by the time the game comes out the succubi will all be in Activation-Blizzard sweat shirts…

Anyway, I hope you guys make it look more like the original or better… not worse.

Edit: Mixed up Adria and Akara and someone told me to get my facts straight… My bad. I typed Adria instead of Akara… I mean I can’t imagine how I mixed them up… it’s not like they’re both female sorceress type characters in purplish robes who’s names both start with an A and have the same amount of letters…

7 Likes

Yes. This is the “body positive” movement. The Amazon’s clearly a man, because the best way to show support for female athletes and warriors is to replace them with men, just like in sports! The Assassin became the means to include an Asian face. All of the women had to be made older, less attractive, and wear more clothing. The barbarian had to lose the high-fantasy bodybuilder look in exchange for a thinner, fatter version that looks more like a hill billy truck driver. For some reason, necros now have to look like they crawled out of the same grave their skeletons did.

I’ve been looking forward to D2:R, but the art team’s hack job of the character models is really a turn off. When they were initially announced, I was honestly waiting for a disclaimer that this is all alpha art and subject to change and we’d be getting an update. They had one job to do: copy the originals and improve the resolution - and they failed.

8 Likes

We don’t care. This is the D3 forum.

PS: that’s Akara. Adria is nowhere in D2. Get your facts straight before running your mouth.

8 Likes

From the Blizzard’s word in their very recent blog:

As we move forward, we implore you to continue sharing your feedback and accounts of your experience. These learnings will help us mold the Diablo II remaster we’ve dreamed of. We can’t wait to share more about this labor of love. So, stay dialed in on the Diablo channels for more updates to come on this front, especially as the open beta approaches! And please share your impressions on the official Diablo II forums or r/Diablo subreddit.

So yes, please post at appropriate section.

1 Like

Put some glasses please,

Thanks!

2 Likes

Speak for yourself. Change that we to an I.

Take your own advice…

1 Like

I disagree. I find every aspect of the remaster to be 1000% better looking than the original.

3 Likes

Some of the smoother brains in the forum apparently cannot scroll past the first few forum options to see the D2 subforum discussion button. Many if them post here then claim they cannot post on the D2 or D2R forums since they don’t own the games. Seriously people it’s there, please use it.

1 Like

I think there’s room for improvement. Game isn’t even out yet, all these footage shown is from the alpha and it is not only subject to change but some of it already changed (such as spell effects). So the best course of action, is to post that feedback in the appropriate forum, either Diablo II (2000) if you haven’t preordered the game or the D2R forum if you did.

Just gonna say that the asian theme fits the assassin well IMO, given the martial arts and the weaponry she uses. The katar (her starter weapon) is an indian weapon. Her playstyle, especially in the martial arts tree, is pretty eastern. Of course, you don’t need to be asian to know asian martial arts, I just think it does work.

I am speaking for myself and for me alone, unlike yourself.

Companies just don’t learn that going woke is going broke. Blizz is not going to make as much financially if they don’t stick to the original themes.

1 Like

That is why Blizzard told them (especially those who don’t have D2R access) to post at Reddit Diablo for feedback.

My smooth brain has tried. I got 2 posts on that forum the day they opened it with the announcement, then the locked it to players who didn’t pre-order. Now, for context, I still have the original D2 and D2:LOD and the original packaging that came with it from 20+ years ago when I bought it. I own the game and the old code is registered to my battle net account. But, I cannot post on that forum anymore because I didn’t pre-order.

And I won’t pre-order because Blizzard has lost my trust over the years, particularly with the War3:Reforged mess. They made promises. I bought the game. Then, they failed to deliver in a huge way. Refusing to pre-order is the only way I can hold them accountable. I simply won’t buy til I see the product is worth the purchase - and I’m not the only one. Their solution was to penalize us all by barring us from accessing the forum to complain.

We aren’t “smooth brains.” We’re here because Blizzard literally won’t let us on that forum without paying a $40 cover charge. That’s pretty steep, but judging from their office policies, they might as well add a 2 drink minimum.

3 Likes

I wish was data that showed how many are holding out.

This is a good indication how poor they’re doing.

Yup… exactly the reason I didn’t preorder. I have full copies of D2 and D2:LoD, and I refuse to give Blizzard any cash until after I see some live reviews from actual gamers of finished product. They’ve burned all their credibility with me.

1 Like

And they have told you multiple times to post on reddit. Have you bothered?

And you are free to post on reddit and the official D2 forums for everything D2R related. Do you?

This has been the case forever. It has no relation to how “well” they are doing.

1. This is the first I’ve heard of a request to post on Reddit. I don’t have a Reddit account because they are a cesspool of activism and do not operate as a free speech platform despite claiming to.
  2. Does it not strike you as strange that a company is literally directing its customers who pre-ordered (and are less likely to criticize) to post on its own forums while directing its customers who did not pre-order (and are more likely to criticize) to post on a 3rd party forum?
3 Likes

I guess I hadn’t noticed.