Please increase drop rate of Gibbering Gemstone

As above, I would like to request a higher drop rate on this unimportant item in terms of the zero impact it has on anything meaningful such as gear or Leaderboards et al.

My husband died a little over a year ago, I have not been able to play Diablo until this season. He was devoted to always making a Staff of Herding in seasons and going on journeys to Whimsydale. I’ve been trying to honor his memory and do the same, but after 300 attempts at killing Chiltara, still no Gibbering Gemstone, that’s when she even spawns in the Caverns of Frost.

As I noted, if by creating the Staff of Herding it produced a high item drop area such as Whimsydale, then I would understand why this drop hard to attain. As Whimsyshire has no higher chance of obtaining items than any regular area in adventure mode, please, please increase this tortuously low drop rate. I ask this with well meaning and good intentions.

This topic has been discussed recently, I’m not making a duplicate thread, rather a minor request that would make me personally very, very grateful.

10 Likes

Don’t give up OP. Keep farming it will drop eventually.

That’s fair to say, but since I posted this I’ve run at her yet another 50 times, so it’s safe to say I don’t give up.

Considering this item has no significance on the game at large, it should not be so difficult to obtain. At this rate I will not attain the item and so won’t be able to honor my deceased husband’s memory before the season ends. Like many of us, I do not have unlimited time.

I can’t imagine it would take a great deal of work on the Devs behalf to increase the drop rate to something fair. I’m not someone who expects things to come easily or demand unreasonable changes.

As it stands now, the effort to obtain this item is what is extremely unreasonable.

5 Likes

I’d agree that the drop chance is pretty low, I farmed for the staff of herding maybe 4 times now throughout my D3 career and it is pretty annoying to get that Gibbering Gemstone to drop, but I dont really see it as a big issue, it will eventually drop. It is an RNG grinding game afterall. Hope it drops for you soon.

honestly they should simply make it be like the black mushroom and have a random chance of being found in that particular ice cavern rather than be dependent on a 5% loot drop from a rare mob that doesnt even appear maybe 1 out of 5 times you even explore the ice cave

it would still require RNG to be in your favor but still would be better than having to hope the game simply decides to generate that NPC in the first place

Its only nonsense that this gem is so rare. In Vanilla ok but
not now.

1 Like

Yes, it is a game for casuals and yes, they have given out participation trophy’s before. Someone here should “get” “good” at communication skills or a special someone to make their life happier.

As for OP, I’m with you. Unfortunately, I don’t think they would care or want to increase the drop rate since most people probably don’t bother with it anymore. I have a hunch you’ll see it drop before too long :wink:. I’m very sorry to hear your situation as well. I’m sure he would be happy either way. :innocent:.

2 Likes

Actually, it was easier in vanilla.

Back then Chilltara was a rarer spawn than she is now, but she had a 100% drop rate, i.e. back then, if you found her, you’d get the gem.

At some point, she was changed…

Now, she spawns more often, but it’s a really low drop chance, so you get the frustration of finding her and it not dropping, which is worse than not finding her.

2 Likes

Ah ok. Too long time ago …
So its doublenonsense to make so rare.

1 Like

It leads to an extremely rare portrait frame. It was designed to be that way. There are a few extremely rare cosmetic items, and they are highly desirable because of that.

If it wasn’t like this then you wouldn’t be trying to farm it in the first place. I’m sorry for your loss, but lowering the drop rate on a super rare item would cause less meaning to receiving the end goal.

2 Likes

Sorry about your husband, but the thing is you will not get the wings in there. The wings will only come from a rainbow that open the area. Yes there are other stuff you will get but not the wings. It took me one time 100 tries before I got Gemstone.

You think that is bad on the drop rate on the Gibbering Gemstone. I have been here from day 1 and I still don’t have the WINGS. I have seen people that just started in 2020 that have the wings. Now how do you think I feel.

I hope so, I just want to say thank you for your considerate words. For some reason he just loved Whimsyshire, I think it was the killer Teddy Bears! :smile:

I didn’t even know about the wings or portraits, I’ve been here since day 1 and have the regular staff of herding already in non season. My partner simply enjoyed the silly esthetic of Whimsyshire and would somehow farm the staff evey season and we would just visit there once in every login.

I don’t care about wings or portraits.

2 Likes

That’s funny. I just went through this yesterday. I had to restart the game 24 (!!!) times to get that thing. So, yeah, I agree with the OP

I would add, though, that if I return to Whimsydale that it’s not gimped to the point that it’s not worth the effort to even go back.

1 Like

Whimseydale and Whimseyshire while they look the same are very different. the dale does not have much in the way of gold, items or treasure where as Whimseyshire has it in spades.

1 is from a rainbow goblin (shire)
1 is from a staff of herding (dale)

As far as looking for the gibbering gemstone…It took 4 years before I got my first and only…like 2-3 days ago in a group run…I posted it so I hope other were able to collect it.

Drop rate is just fine. What’s the point in having an Easter Egg in the game if you could just get it in 5 minutes? Try to get all the transmogs. That should keep you busy for a while…

4 Likes

You have that the wrong way around…

Whimsyshire

1. Accessed using the Staff of Herding
  2. Can obtain Spectrum sword / Horadric Hamburger dagger
  3. Very low chance of rare spawn mob which drops a rainbow portrait frame
  4. Has very bad loot / gold drops, as this area was from level 60 / vanilla

Whimsydale

1. Accessed via a portal left behind after killing a Rainbow Goblin
  2. Can obtain Spectrum sword / Horadric Hamburger dagger
  3. Very low chance of rare spawn mob which drops the Cosmic Wings
  4. Has very good loot / gold drops, as this area was from level 70 / ROS
8 Likes

Join a few communities, there are specific communities for “Staff of Herding” and “Gibbering Gemstone” if you join all of them you are more likely to team up and find it faster.

I acknowledge your pain and the Gibbering Gemstone does have a high RNG. However, next to getting the Rainbow Portrait and Cosmic Wings in Whimsyshire and Whimsydale, the Gemstone is a walk in the park, taking far less time. I have The Staff of Herding in all three regions and now after 6,7,8? years…I still have no rainbow portrait in any region.
I have Cosmic wings in one region.

1 Like

Please refrain from disseminating false information.

1 Like

Sorry got them switched just shoot me