Developing a small, turn based looter RPG

So, there is a lot of discussing about how D4 or ARPGs in general are “supposed to be like”.
Everyone has their opinions and everyone is entitled to have them. I think it might help if one could demonstrate a littlebit more what exactly makes a game like diablo “good” and addicting.

I thought about starting a small experiment with developing a cute little looter rpg that would be turn based, simple in graphics and animation and only focuses on other important aspects of this genre: loot, skills, character development, tactical combat, etc.

However i am not a programmer, neither a 3D artist. Just a bloody idea guy. Some of you might have seen the madness of content that i have designed in the time i have been discussing diablo and other games. Obviously not everyone agrees with me for the most part. But i think there might be a small number of people i would harmonise with.

So, i dunno. If there are a few people, talented or motivated in programming, art, music, writing, design or just generally interested in creating games, hit me up. Maybe we can come together and create something?

Any existing details i might share and discuss with people who are interested in joining this free time project.

<3

Turn based game is a good choice for a low investment project.

The directions I would go are:
1] Darkest Dungeon like game
2] Auto-chess RPG where the player isn’t making decisions during combat and might not even need to observe the combat part

2] is basically a lesser/cheaper version of 1]. Both would keep the procedural and replayability nature of aRPGs.

2] could even be made purely for the web and extended with an online world where players build strongholds/hideouts and recruit monsters from the dungeons they’ve visited which monsters would then guard the treasures and equipment in their castles.

As a player you would be able to farm:

• Monsters/events on world map
  • Dungeons
  • Other players’ hideouts

The main Leaderboard would be wealth based with the goal of the game being to acquire as much wealth as possible during the Season.

So, that would be the Diablo without the action part, but with hideout raids and bigger online world.

Something like this is doable, but there would be needed a few experienced web programmers and graphic designers. After the game is finished you’d also need further investment for servers and marketing.

Overall, it’s a very risky initiative without knowing on 99,99% what you are about to do and why you are doing it that way. Life loves the bold however, so good luck!

1 Like

As I get older and have more issues with my hands playing games I dream of a certain type of game. A game that mixes the world design and jobs system of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions with the loot hunt and armor and weapons changing appearance of an ARPG like D3.

I have looked for a few years for such a game and have yet to find it. I’m surprised no one has tried too blend these two genres together yet. I keep hoping maybe Square Enix will make a new Final Fantasy Tactics game that incorporates a loot hunt system, but they haven’t. Heck they haven’t even ported War of the Lions too PC yet.

Maybe someday this will happen.

it looks like someone did this :smiley: