Delete Account Without Providing Photo ID?

Are you telling me that if I wanted to delete my account, I couldn’t decide to play SC2 or D3 again even though I physically bought the games?

Yes, that is exactly what I am telling you. You pay for a game key that allows access to the game server. You don’t own the software, and don’t own the server you play on (obviously). Once a key is linked to a Bnet account, it can’t be used again.

Deleting the Bnet account mean deleting everything linked to it. All the keys (used at that point), earned rewards, purchased cosmetics or packages, everything.

That is why Blizz is very picky about doing it. It has a very real monetary cost to the player and can’t be reversed.

I COULD be wrong and things may have changed, but I have been helping people delete accounts for almost 10 years now, or longer. That is why we always stress it is permanent.

1 Like

I remember when RealID came out for the Bnet platform. People were deleting accounts left and right, then whining after the frenzy blew over that they couldn’t access any of their games. They were told by multiple people that it was permanent, and would delete ALL game keys, and they would have to repurchase them if they changed their minds. Before AND after. By white text, green text, and blue text(before and after).

This is not something to do on a whim due to the offensive thing of the hour. If you ever change your mind, you WILL have to repurchase any game you want to play, and WILL lose any extras you had collected through purchases and events(like Blizzcon, anniversary items for WoW, for instance). This is why they require so many hoops to be jumped through - to give the customer a chance to reconsider if they truly want this.

1 Like

I played overwatch and small amount of hearthstone.
I grew tired of both a while ago.

They have other ways to go about this.
If the company wasn’t blatantly lying about current developments then I would respect the procedures.
This is a matter of principal for me.
I refuse to give them any new personal information.

2 Likes

Why exactly does Blizzard require a photo ID to delete your account when they don’t require it for you to create your account? What are they matching your photo ID up with to verify that you’re the actual owner of the account?

What exactly does Blizzard do with this photo ID after it has been used? Is it deleted immediately after verification or is it stored in a database? If so how long is this data maintained?

All of which very valid questions…

Also on another train of thought, how does GDPR play into this issue?

4 Likes

All of your questions have already been answered in this thread I think, but anyway, here goes.

Because they need to know the account holder is the one actually requesting all purchased keys, earned rewards, etc, are deleted. There have been cases of malicious parties (siblings, ex spouses, etc) trying to get accounts deleted to harm the player. Blizzard makes sure, as best they can, that the request is valid.

The ID is also required for many Account actions such as resolving account disputes, removing an Authenticator, changing major account information, etc. this has been the case since at least 2010 or 2011.

You are required to use your real legal name, address, and country when signing up for an account. You are also required (requested anyway), to keep that updated. The Govt issued ID is compared to your name, address, and country to verify you are the person who matches the sign up info.

This is in the article about why Blizz requests ID and what they do with it. Blizzard Support - Providing Supporting Documentation

Why we need ID

Hackers often use personal details to gain access to your account. We require government-issued ID to make sure we’re talking to the legitimate account holder before we make certain changes.

Examples of these changes include authenticator removals, parental controls changes, secret question updates, or any contact where you aren’t logged in.

We’ll never use your ID for anything other than verifying account ownership. We delete the copy you send us once the ticket is resolved.

It is also suggested that you delete the ID from your phone or PC as well once the situation is resolved.

This was also addressed recently in the Customer Service forum.

tote that company line…I used to love Blizzard games but really lost any interest over the years because every time I get excited about something the company sadly pulls the “gamers are toxic we will do what we want” card.

Well I will go ahead and put I support Hong Kong and not Blizzard…let the “flagged for trolling because I don’t agree” ban drop…

3 Likes

And you are that a** that believe only you can have an opinion and everyone else is “whining”

2 Likes

Call it what you want I guess. I call it logic. Blizzard has required ID for some Account actions that have fairly large consequences for at least 9 years. It is not tied to HK. Never was. It is not new.

I have things I get angry at them for, but this is just plain basic CS protection of customers.

Expecting me to tie the HK stuff to a long standing policy, that actually protects players, is just illogical to me.

EDIT - if they had changed the policy after the HK incident you would have a point, but that is not the case.

If they wanted to be trisksy, they would have gone back to the old means using snail mail, Notarized copy of ID, and using the privacy email as the only contact point. It is much easier now to delete a Bnet account than it used to be.

Yawn, sock puppet with a new account name. Next?

2 Likes

I would have thought most people would be extremely grateful that their account cannot be easily deleted or destroyed by someone that has questionable motives? I know I am.

Anyway, without any disrespect to anyone, it is becoming like a broken record on a regurgitating cycle. The laws are in place to protect the user, not to invade their privacy. If people feel that Blizzard is invading their privacy, there are proper government and legal channels to action it. If they are violating any laws (which I do not think they are), they will get in trouble with it.

So far it seems no different to UBISOFT requesting additional information to delete a user account, which by the way, also deletes ALL GAMES. So Blizzard are not doing anything that any other game magnate is not also doing.

2 Likes

give it like 1-2 years, ACtiblizzion will fade into the ivory towerness of all the money hungry companies that fell before them. then ur account will get deleted

Hey, all.

I will be locking this thread as this keeps getting bumped and is not on-topic for technical support assistance.

If you need help with your account, please reach out to https://support.blizzard.com/ and we can assist.

1 Like