Delete Account Without Providing Photo ID?

Fun fact, for some really old games, Blizz does still use that in addition to other things. Say someone played Vanilla WoW and has the box and key still but their account was hacked long ago. If they have supporting documents + disc and key, it can help recover it. It is not the total sum of info needed, but it can still help.

Somebody has a broken sarcasm meter…

Is this satirical?

I have to ask because everyone has a different sense of humour. This must be a humour thread.
As you were.

1 Like

Yea, that makes a lot of sense. When i was creating my account i only need to type in my name, birth date and mail, but when i want to delete it Blizzard want my entire gov. ID with photo.

Also Blizz removed every method of autentication but this one, before it was ok to just type in code that i got in sms, but now its ID or nothing.

Its so amusing when corporation fanboys like MissCheetah are defending the big guys with everything they can, but if they do smallest mistake, blizz would just dump they to the trashcan.

8 Likes

You shouldn’t have to provide any new personal information that you didn’t use during sign up.

This just reinforces my decision that I want nothing to do with this company.

6 Likes

You are required to provide your legal name, address, and country when signing up. In order to remove all paid content permanently, they need to verify the account holder is the one making the request. You are requested to keep your account information updated, so they ask for ID matching the registered user of the account - based on the name they signed up with and the address registered to the account.

ID is also used for any account access disputes, removing Authenticators, removing SMS Protect, etc.

They started using ID more for Account actions because malicious parties (siblings, room mates, ex significant others, etc.) would use the easier methods to delete the accounts of people they were angry at, costing that person hundreds of dollars of game licenses, etc.

They have done this for years. I am not even sure why the menu had other options ever, if they would not accept them for account deletion.

That makes perfect sense. There are far too many people with agendas that are malicious already. If that was not true, there would be no need for AV’s, anti-malware or anti-ransomware.

1 Like

Not to mention that it must be EXTREMELY rare for somebody to ask to permanently delete an account for his/her own account, I’d guess that it’s much more commonly an aggravated spouse/gf/bf/ex that’s attempting to delete.

And to anybody who is trying to delete account b/c of recent hong kong or other china issues, make sure that you burn your iphone, take your car to the dump, destroy all home appliances, trash your shoes, and get rid of anything you found at wal mart or the dollar store while you’re at it.

If you want to make a difference, go follow Gandhi’s advice and be the change you hope to see in the world. Go to hong kong and riot with the natives. Sneak into Uighur territory and get some surreptitious Concentration Camp videos. This whole “I’m gonna boycott xyz corporation b/c they don’t take the correct social justice stand” is absurd and, more importantly, lazy in the extreme.

4 Likes

I can agree to a point.
The leftish trends in the States are quite out of touch with real world issues. The majority of the people jumping on the bandwagon have purchased countless items made in China.
However, the situation in Hong Kong is rather black and white… and people have to start somewhere.
The more support/ruckus the better for Hong Kong.

I have a 5 year old nephew that whines less than some people on this forum. At least after you tell him ‘why’ for the 10th time he eventually shuts up.

3 Likes

This is a little different than that.

For fun:
“I would rather have questions that can’t be answered than answers that can’t be questioned.” -Feynman

2 Likes

No, you’re whining that the answer you’ve been given isn’t what you think it should be.

2 Likes

I’ve deleted accounts on other platforms/sites without having to provide information that I haven’t already given them. I refuse to give Blizzard any new personal information.
They have shown they do not respect their own principles and policies.
Therefore, I’m not going to respect their principles or policies.
What you see as whining is actually a cacophony of noise.
BBC, Forbes, and many other major news outlets have heard this noise.

3 Likes

So an answers content doesn’t matter, as long as you get one?
“How are company funds allocated around here?”
“Purple raspberry troglodyte moon haven!!!”
“Thank you for the answer, that has assuaged my concerns.”

2 Likes

It’s still not safe to put your ID on a networked device or send it across the internet.

2 Likes

If i remember correctly, last blizzcon they forced attendees to use an AXS app that was reading contacts, percise location, full network access etc and is notorious for selling information.

2 Likes

He was given the correct answer, he just doesn’t want to accept it. To me that is called ‘whining’.

1 Like

Everyone that disagrees with the way things are being done are all just a bunch of whiners!!!

Great logic Nefertiri.

3 Likes

Tell you what, you go buy up all of Blizzards stock, then you get to write the rules. Until then you’re whining.

1 Like

Why did Blizzard backpedal?
Why have other companies responded very differently than Blizzard?
For instance look at Epic. I’m not a fan of Epic, but I do respect the response they have given the public.

It’s working.
Just another ripple.