Delete Account Without Providing Photo ID?

I want to delete my account, but Blizzard is requiring me to upload a copy of my photo ID. I don’t trust Blizzard and believe they will sell my information to the Chinese government. Is there anyway around this?

Thanks.

31 Likes

Don’t worry, the Chinese government already has that ish.

11 Likes

Both flagged for trolling. There is no substance to this topic. It’s not even funny.

6 Likes

Not sure if trolling or what. No, they don’t sell info.

If you want to delete the whole account, and remove everything you spent money on, you can, but they want to know it is you. There are way too main attempts by vindicive ex spouses, relatives, hackers, to screw people over.

Once you prove it is you they will be happy to totally delete your licenses.

All personal information is handled in accordance with Federal and California laws for protection of Personally Identifiable Information.

The ID image is destroyed after completion of the user request. Please also make sure to delete any ID image from your phone or PC that is used to send it.

Further, all Blizzard staff who handle CS requests are on Blizzard campus, behind the Blizzard firewalls, with everything they do logged. They have an internal audit team as well.

You can read more about it here Providing Government-Issued Identification - Blizzard Support

8 Likes

believing any corporation that says they don’t sell your info is funny

31 Likes

The day I get anything unsolicited that could even be related to gaming or compuers/IT, I will believe you that Blizz sold my info. So far, for more than 20 years, my email, house mail, and phone, have been spam free.

You are right though, way too many DO sell it.

3 Likes

Which is probably why Blizzard doesn’t. Since, people’s data is so available from other sources like social media sites, video posting sites, credit card companies and more, why would someone in search of that information try to get it from a video game company. Not that Blizzard couldn’t sell information too, but I imagine they’d be pretty low on list of someone looking to purchase someone’s information.

I would bet my eye teeth that there are Chinese spys working for Blizzard at this very moment.
(tho Bizzard has nothing to do with Chinese spying.)

China has spys in every piece of infrastructure inside America.

In general almost every database has been hacked that is online.

So to trust Blizzard with important personal data I would so no, don’t trust them.

This is my personal, informed opinion.

4 Likes

Flagged your post for trolling. I asked a legitimate question and have a real concern that this company can’t be trusted and don’t want to provide them with any more of my private information.

14 Likes

If blizzard cannot be trusted, there is no reason to believe deleting your account will effectively remove any information they have about you.
Now is too late. You can either hope giving them your ID to delete your account will indeed work, and they will remove everything (including said ID), or it won’t and you shouldn’t give them any more information.

5 Likes

If I were you I would keep the account. If you really need to send your photo ID than it’s not worth the risk.

Better safe than sorry…

1 Like

Thats not exactly how selling information works. Ever get anything solicited to you in the mail? How do you know where they got your info in the first place? You dont, you only know where YOU put it. Its not going to be just games or entertainment.

If you really believe Blizz is violating their Privacy terms and selling your personal info, then nothing I say is going to convince you.

5 Likes

I dont know personally, nobody does. Thats the beauty of it. And until they come withan agreement on their terms where they say they WONT, ill believe they do like any others.

1 Like

You mean the Privacy Agreement? It is linked at the bottom of every page.

6. With whom may your personal information be shared?

Blizzard will share your personal information with third parties only in the ways that are described in this Privacy Policy. We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may, however, share non-personally identifiable, aggregated, and/or public information with third parties. Additionally, we may share your game play data, Battletag, Blizzard ID, and/or unique identifiers specific to your device with third parties for the purpose of tailoring content as well as personalizing, adjusting and improving our services. In addition, we may share your personal information with other Activision Blizzard group companies for the purposes described in this Privacy Policy.

If you read the rest of it, there are instances where they consider sharing info, but not selling it. In those instances they are required to notify you and you can opt out.

So if they sell your info or otherwise violate the Privacy agreement, or the laws of your country (some are different), feel free to sue them.

1 Like

This is absolutely a troll post. What advantage is there for you to delete everything? You will get nothing back, you will not be able to resell the game, etc… The only person you will spite is yourself. If you don’t want to play anymore then just log off and uninstall…problem solved…pointless posting…

7 Likes

Blizz gonna have trouble with EU, our law forbid to ask for ID photo, uuu big penalty incoming… :astonished::astonished::astonished:

8 Likes

How can you require a photo id to delete the account when there was no requirement to create it?

I know of some people who use fake names and fake birthdays when creating online accounts.

8 Likes

Blizzard requires verification of identity for various account related things when they need to know it really is the real account holder. Cases of compromise, account access disputes, finding long lost accounts, removing an Authenticator, and closing an account.

Closing an account requires removing all the game licenses from it that someone paid for. It can’t be reversed. Blizzard has had malicious folks with access to accounts file for account deletion before. Often ex significant others, or angry family members. Maybe even friends or room mates.

Now they want proof the account holder wants that account, and all their time and money, gone.

Blizz requires us to use our real names when making the account just for this reason, so if things get complicated, we can always get back into our account with proper ID. Failure to use a real name won’t cause them to insta close it or anything, but if you have issues they won’t/can’t help. In rare cases a person who used a fake name can contact Blizz and get it fixed, but it has to be a VERY obvious fake name and they will have to be able to satisfy Blizz they are the actual account holder via other means. Blizz will tell them if it is even possible, and what documentation would be needed.

Used to be easy. Proving the game licenses were yours…
Sent a photo copy of your cd key that came with your physical cd. Yes cd key. Yes, cd. Yes, I’m old. Lol.

Now, with digital purchases and downloads, this would be a bit hard though…
Still some games are available on a disc with game key, license key.
Can still buy those.

4 Likes