Dawn - Ninth Cirri Satchel combo viable?

Well, I finally got it to work. Just one question:

How the heck do you turn it off?

You can open the chat window and it’ll stop so you can town portal and identify gear and when you close the window, it’ll start again.

Edit:

Also, if you do that and put something in your stash, it’ll start again but you can stop it again by closing your chat and opening it again.

1 Like

Another way is to press numlock, then press each number you’ve locked and it’ll stop.

For Smoke Screen spam you need Preparation + Yang’s, otherwise it’s not possible to maintain discipline, even with globe passive.

Nope. Smoke Screen has the Vanishing Powder rune in the last spot. It removes the discipline cost and adds a cooldown. You don’t have anywhere near perm Smoke Screen but it is useable to enable full uptime on Elusive Ring which is what I’m after.

Edit: Basically, it’s a lazy way to use Elusive without having to time Shadow Power and have Preparation Focused Mind to enable spamming it. It allows you to replace Preparation with Boar companion.

Shadow Power offers more defense but having Smoke Screen go off every 4 seconds without having to press it makes up for that a bit.

Kids these days and their fancy numlock keyboards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back in our day we had to use nodding birds, or a heavy book.

5 Likes

using a good quiver is fine, but dawn is missing a primary compared to vallas, so not using vallas and cubing dawn only makes sense if your vallas is pretty terrible. cubed dawn also guarantees the 65% cdr, and cubed 9cs the 600% which is hard to roll non primal (quiver at least)

1 Like

Running with a dawn + 9CS equipped is certainly around, I’d assume Dieoxide’s thread which lists nearly every weapon variant with GoD has it in there somewhere.

It’s just going to mirror what you can do with instead equipping any other given weapon and cubing the Dawn. Cube Odyssey’s End and run dual gen, cube Fortress and wear Squirt’s, I suppose cube valla’s but as said that’s going to just put you in a position where you’d rather find a better vallas to wear. Can even cube Leonine to group mobs for yourself.

Question. Why Valla’s and not K’mar Tenclip? If you have Ninth Cirri cubed or worn, the legendary affix is Strafe projectiles are guaranteed to pierce, so what’s the advantage of Valla’s when K’mar gives you the Drifting Shadow rune?

Or does the ‘guaranteed to pierce’ require the piercing of Valla’s to work (or vice versa)?

No, Ninth Cirri legendary affix is: Hungering Arrow always pierce (not the Strafe projectiles)

Ok, doh, but still, Strafe is doing next to no damage in the build anyway, so wouldn’t the utility of movement speed be worth more than strafe shots piercing? Guess it probably works out the same.

Valla’s is used because of the mechanics of the GoD 4-piece bonus. Strafe procs primaries on hit, not on attack, but cannot proc more than once every 9 frames. Because of this, Valla’s helps by increasing the number of hits to attempt to spawn a primary as close to every 9 frames as possible.

The only problem with Valla’s is that it apparently doesn’t work against single targets like rift guardians. That’s why people also use Rocket Storm rune of Strafe because it has the same effect of circumventing the 9 frame ICD as Valla’s but it also works against single targets.

That’s how I understood it.

Rocket storm can help but it’s not too reliable. The idea is to have an active strafe hitbox (Icy Trail’s puddle doesnt count) connecting with a target every 9 frames. It’s true that Valla’s pierce effect is useless against a single target but at least it has an extra primary affix and can stack Stricken fairly quickly (as all hand crossbows).

I wish it did. That would be so much better. Back after you guys and others figured out the mechanics, I had a lightbulb moment where I was like “ICY TRAIL”. Then I immediately tested it and was very disappointed once I realized it didn’t trigger generator shots.

Why is GoD single target dps so awful! I was expecting at least moderate RG dps (solo) due to pierces and fast stricken stacking but it’s just…

I did GR105 at 800 para, cleared map in like 3:40m, then spent almost 4 mins to kill RG (no power pylon or clone). True my stricken was only rank 60, but still… that’s just…

Then I did same GR105 on my BS necro (same gear level / gems with DH, no augs no primal / ancients except main hand weapon) and had almost similar map clear, but the RG died in 2 CoE cycles (so that’s ~20-24s?).

And all good players said before season start and after that while new BS necro is amazing for trash clearing, it’s lackluster single target. Did GoD clear high last season only because of season theme killing the RG? (I did watch wudijo vids and others).

And lastly, Wudjio in his latest GoD DH guide said that Numbing Traps is proc’d all the time by Hungering Arrow - but the skill description does not mention HA at all for the -25% dmg on enemies. Do cold skills automatically slow enemies even if the skill description does not say slow effect?

Thanks!

Cold skills proc Numbing Traps but don’t slow or chill in general. The passive’s description should be updated.

It’s more that the GoD density dps is very strong. In missile dampening, this DH build becomes the strongest dps in the game. If Wizards could slow time an allied player’s attacks, the meta would definitely include 2-3 GoD DH in it (as well as a Wizard)!

For more information on why density and pierce counts are so OP, see this post: Density Scaling of Devouring Arrow

Yes, mostly. On a typical push without the theme, you could expect the boss to take about 3-5 minutes unless you get lucky with a power pylon or something. My GR140 nonseasonal clear took 3:40 on the Erethon boss.

Thanks!

Another question, I saw many people do bounties / nephalem rifts w/o Yang’s. When I tried double x-bow, or x-bow quiver setups for T16 I always run out of hatred. Is there something I am missing?

And do you guys ever see T’s from non piercing arrows / stricken stacking? I know in density and/or MD you get insane scaling, but the normal dmg of the HA with good gear can it hit Trillions?

One more thing sorry so many questions haha! If you don’t run a 2h Bow / quiver (which is the 9BP with perfect IAS on quiver and removing paragon IAS), do you still have to remove IAS on paragon for 2 x 1h xbows or 1h xbow / quiver setups? Thanks!

Try Vengeance Seethe for lower difficulty content.

It depends on your character’s gear, paragon, etc. You can try using d3planner to play around with test setups.

The 9 frame breakpoint really only matters if you’re attacking inside groups of targets. The idea is to have a strafe hitbox active every 9 frames. If you’re attacking targets at different ranges, it won’t be possible to get it perfect since the strafe shots have different travel times.

If you use Valla’s Bequest, you can ignore breakpoints pretty much as long as your strafe shots are hitting a lot of targets at many ranges (to try and proc primaries as close to every 9 frames as possible).

There’s more information on this if you scroll up on the thread.

1 Like