Damage Cap with Archon stacks

I was running greater rifts on my wizard and whenever I entered Archon and had double archon stacks, my sheet damage would cap out at 10,905,505 no matter how many additional archon stacks I obtained. It didn’t matter if I had 300 total archon stacks or 400 my damage was still capped at 10,905,505 and it would not go any higher.

Not a bug. The sheet excludes many affixes and (multiplicative) bonus.
e.g. those affixes with orange diamond icons.
After level 70, the sheet numbers are almost useless.

Read the section “Meaning of Diamond Icons on Item Detail Sheet Gear”

I recognize that sheet damage isn’t a true representation of actual damage but why does my sheet damage increase when I get archon stacks and then it reaches a cap and it stops increasing?

Play a wizard, get double archon stacks keep your inventory open and watch your damage go up as your archon stacks do - it should continue to rise just as toughness continues to rise but the damage for me reaches a cap of 10,905,505.

Sheet damage.
Zero Archon stacks roughly 3.5mil damage
Single Archon stack - approximately 6-8 million damage depending on stack size
Double Archon stacks - capped at 10,905,505 no matter how big the stacks are.

There is clearly still a relation between sheet damage and archon stacks

You are misunderstanding what is happening here. There is a relationship between sheet damage and Archon stacks, but it’s because of attack speed, not the damage bonus.

The damage bonus from the Archon stacks doesn’t get displayed as your sheet damage. That is a separate multiplier, and it’s not shown in sheet details but continues to increase regardless of how many stacks you have.

What you are seeing is your sheet DPS increase as your attack speed increases. With Vyr’s, Archon stacks grant attack speed (from the Vyr’s 4-piece bonus). But attack speed is capped at 5 APS (this is a game-wide intentional cap). You are seeing your damage increase proportional to attack speed up until you hit the 5 APS cap.

Expand your sheet details as you gain Archon stacks and you’ll see your attack speed increasing. And your sheet damage will stop going up the same time your attack speed does. When it caps at 5.00.

This is not a bug.

4 Likes

Thank you TinneOnnMuin - that makes way more sense. I was really confused as to what was happening.