Damage Calculation

Alrighty so just bought the game last week and I finally have my first lvl70 char. I attempted to make a tank build, but I have some questions now about how damage done to the player is calculated.

Heres the stats of the char that I believe are relevant:
block chance 50%
armor 16000
block amount 16000-24000

Can someone more experienced tell me if this line of thinking is correct: If a demon thwaps me on the head for raw dmg of 30k, first the game will roll for my block. If yes to block then it will subtract 16k-23k from the raw. Next, the game will take into account armor and subtract another 16k. Meaning I take no damage from the 30k thwap. Am I missing anything or?

Let’s use a made-up example like this…
Blocking = 50% damage mitigation
Armour = 25% damage mitigation
Elemental Resist = 25% damage mitigation

Now, you might think that because 50% + 25% + 25% = 100%, once you had that much mitigation, you’d be invulnerable, but you’d be wrong because these mitigations are multiplicative / cumulative.

Imagine that the demon throws a huge fireball in your face and the unmitigated damage it would do would be 1,000,000 damage.

So, we start with…
1,000,000 incoming damage

Blocking mitigates 50% of that, removing 500,000 of the damage, but leaving the hero to potentially deal with…
500,000 incoming damage

Armour mitigates 25% of that, removing 125,000 of the damage, but leaving the hero to potentially deal with…
375,000 incoming damage

Elemental resist mitigates 25% of that, removing 93,750 of the damage, but leaving the hero to potentially deal with…
281,250 incoming damage

So, from an initial 1,000,000 damage, the hero takes 281,250 damage, i.e. 28.125%

The mitigations come out as…
(1-0.5) * (1-0.25) * (1-0.25)
0.5 * 0.75 * 0.75

So, no matter how much block, armour and resistance you have, if you get hit by something, you’ll always take damage from it.

1 Like

okay that helped a lot, thanks

Shields do have the potential to reduce a hit to 0 damage.

The 2 things that matter for shields are the block chance and block amount.
For example,

• block chance 50%
  • block amount 16000-24000

Yes, the shield does have its own armor but that doesn’t matter for blocking but it does help because the shield’s armor gets added to all your other armor for the purposes of mitigation (damage reduction).

The way it works is fairly simple.

1. Your armor, resistances, skills, etc… (everything that isn’t a shield) will reduce the damage from a hit.
  2. Whatever is leftover you now have a chance to block
  3. If you block it, the damage is reduced by the block amount. This can reduce the damage to 0.

For example,
You got hit for 100K damage but have armor, resistances, etc… reduce that by 80% to 20k damage.
You get lucky and your shield blocks the attack. Your block amount gets determined. RNG blesses you with 21k block
The damage is reduced to 0. You take no damage.