D4's paragon system

Of course it can be. It can be controlled even in D3 - say let’s make 1 paragon level add not 5 but 1 to your main stat.

you cant just unlimited add +1 to skills in D2 until you have +100000 to skills xD
you have limited levels, you have limited item slots, a limited inventory to put charms inside, limited sockets in your items and limited rolls on your item stats
you cant just go and go and go further

2 Likes

Look I am looking for a non linear not power progression system that would give the devs a way to control the power coming from paragon like they mentioned. This is the only way that I can see a sideways level progression that isn’t about power. I know that I wouldn’t mind leveling paragon to unlock more customization options for my characters. Or unlocking other things that are not based on power.

If players playing is only about power, where unlocking customization options are not important then they can play other classes and other builds to reach the top of that power.

The system that I propose will take more time than most people will be willing to play a character as far as power goes. They would’ve moved on to other characters other builds and even other games before reaching anywhere near having more power than what levels or gear can give.

It’s simple. Don’t make it infinite. I don’t know why you are stuck on it being infinite? You can still have diminishing returns in non-infinite systems, in fact, I encourage them. Diminishing returns are good as they promote things to not be so “cookie cutter”. you have to choose what you want based on what you already have. You don’t just want to stack 1 thing really high because it becomes not worth the cost the more you have of it.

there is no benefit of an infinite system over a finite one.

again, not the point
the possibility alone, to go infinite, is wrong

The point is that the soft cap would prevent more power coming from paragon. While at the same time they could have something new to look forward to as far as unlocking customization options along with other things that are not related to power.

if the power is locked at some point, i call it a hard cap
if ppl have the CHOICE, to go for infinite dps, its wrong

Point number 2 sounds like it would be really fun.

+1

Soft caps provide the same thing where adding more power will take years to even scratch adding a few points. Compared to what a +1 to skills could do.

again
even it if takes me 10 years, to get an other 1 dps
if i can do this for eternity, its wrong
pls understand this

You still will not get it, no one can play for an eternity. Nor will they put up with having to play for years just to add another point of damage. They will spend those points on other things. they would also spend their time playing other games as well. So it won’t be nearly as bad as you think it will be.

its. not. about. the. chances.
its. about. the. idea.

What you really think that in time someone’s gonna come along and figure out how to give man the ability to live forever. Then have it where we will be playing video games forever as well. I don’t think that will happen. Players move on to new classes or new builds. Players will move on to new games. Only playing D4 for seasons is the point that in time D4 will face.

stop talking about your dirty seasons

and yes, the possiblity alone, that a man could live forever or just hand over his account to his son, makes the idea bad
its not about the power or the balance
its about the idea, that he could theoretically level up for ever

I mean technically diminishing returns have a hard cap. Even if you infinitely put points in the same thing, the limit doesn’t approach infinity. It will approach some number (usually). Now in his scenario it would approach infinity. But you can devise a function where as x -> infinity y= 100. And therefore you can constantly put points in crit damage but will never reach 100 crit dmg as it only approaches it.

But, it doesn’t take away from an infinite system just being bad over all though. A non-infinite system can achieve everything a infinite system can achieve except it also provides a sense of accomplishment. And You can prevent maximizing everything which would trivialize they system anyways.

Without seasons adding some new things in and changing things up this game would’ve died a long time ago.

Even if you did pass the torch from father to son for many generations how many games would last that long. How many players would stay with that one game that long.

You always have people that maximize things even in a finite system.

not the chances.
the idea. the possibility.

if noone will do it, just dont make it possible in the first place :wink:

Uhm… no you don’t. Go play Diablo 2 and try to max out every skill in the skill tree. You literally can’t. You are forced to make choices by being limited in the skill points you are given. That is finite. Infinite would make it where you can use every possible skill.

Same with D3. If you were limited to 200 points instead of infinite, you could at most max out 1 of the options in each category. But since it’s infinite, you max everything out.

2 Likes

Sooooo true. Times have changed, playstyles have changed, players have changed.

Old dogs don’t want to learn new tricks.

New era of players just want to burn through the game as fast as they can and move on the the next title.

I enjoyed d2 as much as anyone the only mandatory part im glad is back from d2 is loot hunt. Everything else i welcome the change.

1 Like

paragon and transmog are both trash. I shouldnt have to imagine clever ways of using an unnecessary system for them in the first place. There is nothing that the paragon systems adds to the game that cant be boiled down to the simplicity of a benefit of leveling up your character naturally.

The only reason they want to add paragon is a way to get people feeling like they’re making progress when theres no other reason to play the game. Its lazy and its a cheap way for them to give people a “reward” without having to develop anything of substance for the game.

And on top of that its proven to be a cheap addictive system in D3 so of course theyre going to add it