[D4] you guys think D4 is gonna turn into a money grab?

Again. In EU and American regions. When did i mention China? I don’t fing care about what’s in the china shop. And i couldn’t even care less what is available in their shops or not.

Seems like we have a some different looks at what is paywalled content. It’s OK.

Again. I was talking about that there is no power for money paywall for D3 IN the EU and American shops. Can you understand me, or should i make a drawing of it?

Depends on your definition of money grab. I think they will sell cosmetics and maybe convenience things and such, outside of typical expansions (which I fully support and love, such as LoD).

People have different thoughts on what constitutes greedy practices, and often times have different standards for different companies. I feel like companies such as Nintendo get away with it more often or at least don’t have it held against them as much. A recent example is Skyward Sword having an Amiibo that allows you to fast travel from anywhere, and that Amiibo costs $25 I believe. Really, they have other content related items attached to overpriced figurines and have been doing this for a while, even before Amiibo. I remember the cards with codes they sold and could be used in games to get items/cosmetics/etc. e-reader something or other…maybe it plugged into a GBA or something? I forget since I never bought one. If that was Ubisoft, they would be burned at the stake, meanwhile they add free updates to games that give players options they want, but because there is still any element of real money option (even though it is so unnecessary) available, people throw a fit.

I am not saying Nintendo is the worst or Ubisoft is the best, but I believe we are in a time and really have been for a long time, where companies (they are companies after all) are going to do what they can to make financials better. That just makes sense, as long as they are not also shooting themselves in the foot long-term. Do I like real money purchasable cosmetics? Not at all. Do I mind if that is as far as it goes and the rest of the game doesn’t suffer? Not really.

I don’t think D4 will go beyond that, and I certainly hope that is the case. If it does, we should have D2R to satisfy the itch, and hopefully another company steps up to the plate and creates a worthy successor. But I think we are getting ahead of ourselves at the moment.

While I don’t support a lot of modern practices, this is just nonsensical to me. Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but your words seem to suggest that you think all recent AAA games are just made fast and loose to get money and nothing more, which while maybe parts are true, is certainly not the whole truth. It kind of feels like a slap in the face to all the thousands of people who work tirelessly to make awesome art, music, gameplay, etc. to bring us games that have lots of heart and soul, even if some of those games do have several bugs (that should have been mostly worked out prior to launch) and probably have those due to money/time constraints enforced by upper management.

And if people think these issues are only issues with gaming, think again. Look at all sorts of software (and other things as well). Plenty of applications have bugs and are never perfect. Does it make it right to release some of these games in the state they are? No. But I think sometimes these things are overblown and people have to understand that the more complex the game/software, the more difficult to have less bugs. I can name several games within the last 5 years that I loved, despite any issues (though many were just fine).

1 Like

Chinese version of D3 uses completely different monetisation method. It’s a F2P game there so stuff like cosmetics are paywalled.

Thus far, they have stated that on top of selling the base game, they also plan on selling expansions as well as microtransaction (in the form of cosmetics with no effect on player power). Of course, this, along with plenty of other things stated thus far, is subject to change. That said, I’m fairly confident that if such change does occur, it wouldn’t take us very long to learn of it.

People always say that, but I’m pretty sure selling power and online only ate not subject to change. I’d bet my comfy pension on that.

Different markets and thus not really comparable. Games released there are typically free so shops are almost essential. Add to that the majority play games in internet cafes and other game related places so power items to maximize efficiency over paid time ti play is a must for a game to do well.

So you really have to ignore the Eastern market if you want an honest debate about this.

For me, I will consider D4 as a money grab if they are purposely making your default character’s skin and skill animation look cheap and ugly, which indirectly forcing you to buy a better skin if you can’t handle the ugliness of your characters.

1 Like

Then D2R must be a money grab then since you have to pay to finally get rid of the ugly characters. :rofl:

2 Likes

Is it not? :thinking:

2 Likes

I could no longer play D2 because it looked like :poop: but now they have my $40 because it looks great.

I also don’t think they’ll change their minds regarding online only, and honestly I don’t mind that (of course, I do sympathize with folks who have poor internet connection). However, I can’t say with confidence that selling power will never be a thing in Diablo 4; I mean it’d be great if it doesn’t but only time will tell on that.

You fell for the money grab.

I fell for a remaster that looks very good. Now I can see what the world should have looked like.

1 Like

Nah not going to happen.

I get that. But I’m looking at 13 years of them not selling power in WoW(boosts are not one since everyone gets one worth the price of admission. As well as 8+ years of no power for D3.

It looks like, like it should for a game in the 2000, but now it looks amazing and modern.

1 Like

This is no longer true, by the way. The base edition of Shadowlands does not come with a boost.

Plus, they’re selling a boost in TBC Classic that costs $40 that not everybody gets.

Though in the current landscape of WoW, selling the gold tokens is much worse. You can basically pay your way to top end gear with that because everything is about selling carries now.

2 Likes