[D4] Right Way of Gear system: AFFIX is RUNE!

To be honest, I felt a bit disappointed watching D4 reveal, because the gear system is far from innovative. The only amazing part is the new rune system, which is really groundbreaking: it’s combination of a condition and an effect (healing, buff, etc)

Why can’t we GO FURTHER on this way? Think about it: every affix on a gear can be considered an effect (a static one), so if we just turn all affixes (or part of them) into effect runes that are fixed on the gear, and choose the condition runes to be embedded into the sockets, we can get a CRAZILY VARIETY of conbination.

An example

First, You have a gear like this:

as*hole’s dagger

• 200 damage

+100 strength

+5% critical hit chance [socket: condition]

a condition rune like this can be embedded:

KO:

Freezing an enemy, you have [50%] chance to ____, lasting for [3] seconds

Finally you get:

as*hole’s dagger (socket embedded)

• 200 damage

+100 strength

Freezing an enemy, you have 50% chance to increase critical hit chance by 5%, lasting for 3 seconds

the most exciting part is: every affix on your every gear can be enhanced by a rune! (only if there is a socket, of course)

Legendary Gear

In fact, doing the same thing to a legendary gear is even more exciting:

The original legendary affix:

Your fireball launches 2 more projectiles [socket: condition]

You can pay a rune and change it into:

When your mana is above [80%], Your fireball launches [4] more projectiles.

The number in [ ] depends on the rune, something like: [4] is ordinary, and [8] is extremely rare

Moreover, we can add a new type [socket: functional], which can increase the [50%] chance or simply make the effect last longer.

See? You can build up your own gear, with whatever affix you like, and even forge a powerful legendary yourself.

Do you like it?

1 Like

That’s Path of Exile.

And I think that the current D4 rune system sucks.

Just my opinion.

respect your opinion, but this is not POE.
most gems in POE provides static buff to a primary skill, but runes in D4 depends on conditions. Different choices under different conditions, I think it may be the only way leading to variety of BDs

1 Like

That’s exactly what their aim is with legendary item properties and the consumable - to have as much gameplay-changing affixes as possible, which the player can apply to non-legendary items:
We will be introducing a new type of consumable item (which we haven’t yet named). This item would be earned by killing monsters, just like other items. It would have one random Legendary affix on it, drops only in the late endgame, and can be used to apply that affix to any non-Legendary item.

From here: System Design in Diablo IV (Part II) — Diablo IV — Blizzard News

What you want is having multiple sockets in an item for even more combinations, which is already what their design goal behind mythic items is (more combinations). The difference with the runes you propose is these items would be easier to construct in your way, but they haven’t announced their crafting system yet (which should alleviate some of the burden to find the exact mythic you want).

Not really sure what is gained here. You are just moving the effect runes over to affixes. Seems more restricted.

I dont think it should be possible to ‘design’ your own items. That takes away essential RNG in item drops. As well as balance in legendary design.

Now this however, I somewhat agree with.
Imo there should be 3 rune types in D4:
Condition, Effect, and Power. With the latter increasing what the Effect runes do.
Makes the system more interesting, with more depth in how you combine runes.

I dont think there should be different socket types however. All runes should work with all sockets.
So, in a 3 socket item, you might go for; Condition - Effect - Power, or Condition - Condition - Effect etc.

The socket types in PoE turned out to be a bad idea imo, adding too much RNG to the item creation.

Well, maybe there could be two socket types actually, but not for runes. Rather I think there shouldnt be more than like 3 sockets (maybe 4) for runes on items, otherwise runes start to become too crazy with their combinations (which would mean each rune had to be weaker to balance them)
So maybe a weapon could have 6 sockets, but only 3 of them works with runes, while the rest of the sockets only works with gems and maybe jewels (all 6 sockets would work with gems/jewels, if you for some reason didnt want to use runes)

Would be too much tbh

Complexity is needed, I agree. :thinking:
But the devs don’t want complexity because they want to be tender on us. :face_vomiting:

I like most of your opinions, like “All runes should work with all sockets.”

it’s less restricted, because the number of sockets is far less than that of affixes (according to D2/D3, not POE). What’s gained here is, runes becomes interactive with the gear itself.
A comparism:

1. You found a rare item with 2 sockets independent on affix, you may think: What combination of 2 runes should I choose?
  2. Instead, you found a rare item with 2 sockets dependent on affix, your thoughts may change to this: what rune is the best match with this critical hit affix?
    It’s not only about variety of combination, but also about the interaction between gears and runes. Of course, the former one should also remain. Further more, when some affixes becomes runes, they can even be detached from the item, and tached to another item (similar to the idea of comsumable legendary effect, but also available on rare and magic).

Regarding to balance of legendary, I don’t think they should be balanced carefully. Do they ever balance the gears or skills successfully? Well this is another big topic. Maybe it should be discussed in a new thread. Generally, my solution is: create as many kinds of situation as possible.

Some examples:

Tons of monsters

2-3 rapidly moving monsters

5-6 slow but fatal monsters

Monsters able to healing themself fast

Monsters imune to fire damage periodically

Monsters that can dispel one of your buff

Landform that force you to stay static

Moving landform

Blizzard that freeze you frequenly

Deadly disease that deals damage fast, and faster over time

You can take advantage of ifferent affixes, runes, skills, legendary to fight against some of them, but not all. You can somehow control the situation, but part of it is random. In this way, legendary do not have to be well balanced, they just serve different purposes.

If you want to have rewards depending on character power you have to balance stuff aka you give more carrots to those that grind more efficient. Otherwise you have to give one carrot per day to everyone regardless of their game progression throughout the day.

There is no “random” stuff. Everything that exists as a gameplay option could be balanced one way or another aka there is Math behind every gameplay scenario although that Math could be hidden to the player.

The tricky part is to balance stuff in such a way that the player reaches a new gameplay mechanic at a constant time investment rate. In D3 that’s gone the second day of each new Season, just as the player base.