D4 Quests and Rewards(!)

These are my suggestions regarding the points raised by the OP.

2 Likes

i mean only a one time quest for these. the same way d2 does it as to not cause any never-ending power problems.

well, by transformation I mean changing stats on an item. item creation would be turning an item into something completely different yet keeping the same item type, like imbue. creating something new entirely.

by this I mean something like receiving a buff that causes you to take 50% less damage in certain dungeon types for a very limited amount of time. you killed the swamp monster so now for 60 minutes you’re immune to certain effects swamp monsters have etc. nothing at all related to rifts. rifts are yikes

not in the way i mean. we’re going to be in a massive world. some quest rewards could give you hints toward mass treasure, maybe in places we would normally skip. crumbs leading to a final reward.

it would be a huge mistake not to take advantage of the new technology they have. simply having weather affect small things in the game could improve immersion and separate it from the other games in the series.

the rest of the stuff you said is close enough to what I was talking about, mostly.

1 Like

Random ideas:

• Unlocks a new spell slot in the UI
  • Unlocks a new potion slot in the UI (energy/mana/rage), or how much potion heals your own character (instead of 50 different types of potion sizes)
  • Unlocks new types of town portals
  • Unlocks more friends in the friend list or clan/social features
  • Unlocks terrain learning resistance/speed/attributes: heights of terrain advantage/disadvantage, climb, crawl, swim…
  • Quests in which you can bargain prices to an npc, challenge him in a game, or where npc can move are not just static in towns and have more interactive behaviour.
  • reward that allow to stack up an item type
  • reward that imbues a specific slot of the inventory
  • reward that learns to walk in order to reduce aggro of the monsters by xx range.
  • reward that reduce gravity falling damage and increase damage from above.
3 Likes

I love these three suggestions! What types of town portals could be unlocked?

1 Like

It’s good to see that there is a lot of constructive discussion around the anatomy of questing and thoughts about improving the core RPG concept of “having player choices matter” in D4. I have read many good responses from those wanting to ensure that quest chains offer unique and personal game-play modifications along with having player choices result in consequences with some degree of permanence (either for individual character customization or by influencing game-play in the open world).

However, I noticed that all the “rewards/consequences” have primarily focused on being beneficial. I wonder if we shouldn’t also encourage the developers to explore rewards with semi-detrimental effects as it would also offer interesting game-play experiences.

For example, imagine if a player is presented with a random encounter whereby they save a caravan that is under attack and a survivor thanks the player with a trinket. Soon afterwards, the player discovers that the item is malevolent and they have become “cursed” with a nemesis spawn that appears every time they kill a set number of monsters.

At first the player can easily dispatch the nemesis and is rewarded by some rare material. But, progressively the nemesis grows in strength and eventually overwhelms the player which results in some XP loss. Now the player is motivated to find a way to lift the curse before the XP loss becomes severe and inspects the trinket more closely. Markings/clues present on the trinket could guide the player towards a particular dungeon where the trinket can be used as a dungeon modifier.

Upon entering the modified dungeon and defeating the end boss they are informed that the nemesis spawn is eternal and that their only options are: Option 1 - Partial recovery of XP lost but in return continue being haunted by the nemesis (nemesis difficulty is reset) or Option 2 - lift the curse by freeing the nemesis into the surrounding environment whereby other players can encounter the nemesis and gain the XP stolen after defeating it. (Really wanted to avoid a binary situation but let’s just overlook that for this example).

2 Likes

the idea is cool but i wonder if it would cause players skip quests to avoid these “rewards”. i feel like maybe instead of your example being the reward, it could almost be the quest itself

2 Likes

A cool quest late-game reward could be to allow the player to build and improve onto a town, sort of like Wolcen. It’s fun :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Bounties: Am i joke to you?
Me: Yes you are.
LMAO

2 Likes

D3 has this… but… its when you level up a Blacksmith and such… lmao

2 Likes

But not really, nir was it ever sold as a town building feature.

If I may shameless plug my own thread on the topic. [D4] Expanding end game with territory systems and world customization: Please feel free to elaborate on what systems and/or mechanics you find engaging in Wolcen’s town building system.

3 Likes

Yes, Diablo 3 has something like this but I mean it’s pretty lackluster and empty. My artisans are all maxed out within an hour or so of making a new character lol. THey could really run with this idea and make the end game a long artisan progression mini-game. It could be something great instead of those foolish paragons.

3 Likes

hmm…

One of the biggest issue I see with this is that we will all be on the same world. Improving a town couldn’t be done by one person, otherwise it negates the fun value of others doing it since the visuals would affect their game too. On the other hand we could have true MMO style quests where lots of players have to complete town building quests to see any change… this could render a players personal feeling of contribution null.

I think modifying the towns, would irritate a lot of solo players by forcing them to witness the effects of other players in their games, this isn’t entirely avoidable, but making the effect as big and important as a town would be to far, in my opinion.

On the other hand though, if the player had their own private space (similar to a dungeon( that could be customised and built up similar to a town, then that would be quite interesting… although I’m not sure how many of the players would use it. I think putting in powerful end game items would make the feature used a lot, but some players might also just use the feature for the items, which would result in the towns being built with the fastest method possible, and thus undermining the feature as a whole.

Hey there.

I think it’s important to keep in mind that what Blizzard needs isn’t to copy good ideas from other companies verbatim, but to try to take what makes the system interesting in order to best improve the game without hurting other important aspects.

In Wolcen’s case, as I understand it, the good part is that it adds an endgame system that serves multiple functions :

1. Extra grinding that takes a significant amount of time.
  2. Resource management, to allow the player to organically diversify their gameplay.
  3. Extra gameplay.

I think it’s a really interesting design, but Blizzard should look into it to make their own, improved system, rather than try to copy-paste something that worked well for another company.

2 Likes

Yes, this. Blizzard are known for their creativity so I don’t think we have too much to worry about. We know they’re copying ideas from their old games and other games in the genre, there’s no way around it. Hopefully Diablo 4’s quests and rewards feel superior to the competition! :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

a few rewards i missed:

• personal camp or housing
  • cosmetics for camp, housing or stash
  • accessories to decorate ears/trophies/banner
  • lore
2 Likes

This. (Post must be at least 20 characters)

3 Likes

olbat’s posts are underrated in general. always good and insightful. this is yet another example. he really does care about the details, as we all should.

2 Likes

x10 :blue_heart: for this, ye.

3 Likes

Reviving this because I just thought of themed UI as a reward. Mossy, natural UI for druid and so on. Now, this might be something they’d rather sell for real money but it would be nice to see a few given to us through achievements or something.

2 Likes