[D4] don't know how I feel about random quest order

For those who are not aware: quests in D4 can be done in any random order, according to how they explained it. At least per “act” anyway.

Thinking about just going off and doing random quests in no particular order in a Diablo game, it kinda disorients me. I like the feeling of story progression, working towards a particular milestone.

I mean, what would stop us from just running straight to the “act” boss?

Doesn’t feel right to me. Quests should unlock in a particular order, not have all of them be available from the start.

People will eventualy find the best order.

I would imagine the act boss quest is what lets you progress further, so likely that quest does not unlock until you’ve done a bunch of required ones in an order you choose.

2 Likes

Hope so.

In D1, quests came as you progressed further down the labyrinth. Simple. Could you complete the story if you ignored the Butcher? It is an actual quest.

In D2 we did have quests that could be left for later in the act, like the Countess, but they were generally on the way to the main plot so it’s not like we had to deviate.

And in D3 there’s no deviation of any real kind. You can’t progress onto the next quest if you don’t finish the one you’re on.

In D4, this feels a bit like a cluttery mess.

I have no first hand information about D4, but I’ve played plenty of games that does not make you follow a linear path, I vastly prefer that approach, makes replays less stale and makes the whole thing a more engaging experience.

(And for D3, I haven’t touched the story mode once since the initial play trough at the release of RoS)

1 Like

Thats a good point i dont like the way d3 story was laid out either and might be cool to have it more open. I really hope the quests are decent tho. Im just worried this will be too much like diablo 3.

2 Likes

I think D3 way of appraoching this is the best.

Make a campaign mode for those who want to play D4 for story and all those “filler” or “semi-important side quests” as the endgame contents.

1 Like

Pretty sure the act campaign is something you cannot do in any order. I would be shocked if you could. I’m certain. It will be similar to WoW, where you can do the zones(acts) in a y order but there is a linear story progression within. Side quests could be picked up in any order.

1 Like

Or worse… fo sho! Best believe.