D4 Arrows and ranged classes 🏹

Which pre-D2 games have arrows as a resource?

I think never said anything about pre-D2 but Nox was around the same time (year 2000, according to mr google) and had arrows like the ones i am suggesting, and in fact i had the idea bcs of that game:

• The class that could use bows/xbows and arrows/bolts, could also cast magic and summon pets, but the main weapon was the ranged one. One could carry as many arrows as they wanted but the big bag (similar to the one of D4) allow it with not much trouble and the arrows drop often enough too.

I love and also suggested the idea to have a bow/dagger class, that can switch like the barbarian :smiley:
About the arrows, im not sure about finite arrows xD
But having the elements in the arrow items is a cool idea and also to switch between them :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, there were no games for the Devs to reference for “proper game design” when they decided to try something different. Correct?

Yes, and if the finite arrows is too big of a problem (for the devs i mean) then i guess it is ok to have something different. Maybe can even have the arrows but be unlimited, don’t know, some games have that option too, for the ones that don’t like to switch between them.

I think the biggest problem i found is to be able to switch between the arrows on top of switch between the weapons. In other games can be solve easily but D4 has a very limited skill bar.

The image of a D4 Hunter had a bow, Quiver, holder for quiver, and… a dagger.
:bow_and_arrow::dagger::smiley:

Ikr? Its hyping me a lot <3

Well i guess, there can just be a switch button like switching weapons, to switch between 3-4 arrow types

1 Like

I suspect it would operate like the barbarian. The “weapon swap” happens based on the skill used.

1 Like

Well yea an other possibility for elemental arrows is just the skillsystem
See D2: fire arrow, ice arrow, exploding arrow etc.

1 Like

If what you are talking is about what i said about the devs, we were talking about WoW and not D2. And games like Icewind Dale and all those had arrows too, but arn’t arpgs.

But you are right, maybe i was too hard on them, but is still their responsability :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, that was one idea but wouldn’t be able to switch between different arrows for each skill. But still better than nothing, to be able to define the element like that would give a lot of flexibility.

Yes, but i wanted to give it more versatility. In a game i played they had a buff that emulate each type of arrow, and allow you to change between them and was great but D4 skill bar is very limited and if we have, for example, 2 skills (buffs) to do that, would be a lot.

Well i think it would be possible
Sacred 1 has a lot of arrow skills for the woodelve and she can just equip elemental bows so the skills have other varieties

yaaasss! i do hope that is a new class! i love my Amazon but it would make since to have a male option because the Amazon i would think have to be female only. I would enjoy having a new class and not an almost remake of D2 classes.

yeaaah that makes since! :hugs: i wonder if they could do an arrow swap like that as well? unless its too complex…

Just butting in with barely any context of most of the replies.

What if the consumable arrows where an additional resource and instead of having to buy them or craft them they just regenerate over time. Each arrow type is assigned to a skill, eg. Explosive arrows, this can be a very strong AoE that you can Spam consecutively but with the limited arrows and the wait time(long or short depends on the skill) it’ll be on the player to decide if it’s worth it. This can also be applied to regular attacks but the player should never be in a position where all their arrows are gone and they just have to run around until their resources are back up. They can instead alternate between different arrow skills. Then you can have one branch of the talent tree affect the aspects of the arrows, modifying their behaviors(larger aoe, increase number of pierced enemies,etc).

1 Like

so you basically have a whole bunch of resources, which are your different arrows?
sounds interesting, besides the fact that i would love the resources to be grounded down to mana and stamina again xD

1 Like

Let’s not go back to D2. Barbs and Amazons had ranged attacks but had to carry a supply of axes, javelins, arrows etc. Other classes had magic ranged attacks. All strong ranged attacks required spending manna. Barbs and Amazons had to devote inventory space on character to carrying items that other classes used to for loot and they still had to carry potions just like other classes.

Having to carry potions on a belt was another serious drawback of D2. Hopefully, D4 will not require characters to carry around an inventory of potions.

3 Likes

thats true, but D2 is old and they would not go back to such a thing
even if they added finite arrows, they would just let you stack 1000 of them in a 2slot in your inventory or even an extra space on your character gear slots

1 Like

i’m pretty sure they are sticking with potions like in D3, where they stack and just press Q to use them.

i’d bet they do that as well and not like D2 that only held like 100 in each quiver…

i literally mean, infinite arrows, as much as you want to buy, on the same slot

Even if they add a spot for arrows, axes, knives, etc. that is not part of inventory, it is still unequal. Every class will use manna or equivalent but some classes will have to use some other finite expendable like arrows, axes, knives, etc. that you will have to return to town to resupply?

2 Likes

yea i actually dont like the idea, also
i think, infinite arrows are totally fine
many games were doing that, back in the days