D4 — Inventory and Interface Feedback

Thank you very much for sharing some of your work in progress. I appreciate the amount of time spent to communicate and to prepare the assets. So I hope our feedback will help you to energise and synergise the development process. My feedback concerns mainly the inventory topic which seems to be the most controversial one. I think you lacked discernment on this matter. I am not convinced you have fully foreseen or and analysed the consequences, the intricacies of art interface with game mechanics. I’m going to try to give my in depth opinion on this and I hope you will find it helpful.

Inventory proposition

• Drawing icons and writing near it “Life” “Defense” “angelic”, makes no sense. I would remove superfluous icons, I know it’s work in progress but their artstyle is questionnable . Icons must ideally convey action, and be buttons.
  • Displaying 2 times the character is simply wrong. I removed the character in the inventory, and added a Zoom, in zoom out toggle button, (could be auto zoom for casuals in options, when inventory open)
  • I think it is dangerous to mix inventory and stats panel. Because you already did the mistake in other games, where you want to convey everything everywhere without structure. It ends up with a map in the quest panel and written quests in the map.
  • Beautiful design must be structured and be unique as a function.
  • If you need a indicator that your stats increase as you put stuff, you can add a small “+” or highlight visual signal above the stats icon, every time you equip an upgrade. Thus, the player notices he/she must open the stats panel every time he/she wants to equip new gear. (or perhaps make a tutorial interface that can be turned off)

(textures used https://i.ibb.co/smktWcc/d4-inventory-textures-sample.jpg —simply googled medieval patterns)

Background behind images

• Since every quality type (white, blue, set, etc) will have its own pros and cons, and potentially beat a supposed superior quality type item, what is the need to influence the player? Why should quality type influence the decision of the player checking or not checking the item? item class, item type, level and requirements as well as quality type should be the reasons, so everything should be written altogether.
  • Since we now have the “green arrow good, red arrow bad”, what is the point of sorting the colors of the items with a background?
  • As shown in animated gif below, there is a continuity of having an item lying on the ground without background, hold with the mouse without background, as well as placed in the inventory. Holding an item like this with a rectangle colored background would not look right. A physical action is made between the ground, the mouse, the movement into the inventory. This is what gives value to the item, it’s believability. An item holds no value if it’s just a number in your database.

(if it does not load you can reach the link: item-background hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB)

• This rectangle background makes the item look like an Hearthstone card. The image is supposed to be the item. It’s not supposed to represent it, it’s not an Icon. You have to make the distinction when to use icons, and when to use actual images. In the past 15 years, graphic design, motion design, advertising fell into the trend of using icons (The reason being Web 2.0 and the phone technology)… This cost-efficient way to communicate became over-used and artificial, reducing consumer trust who now seek more authenticity.

Different sizes of items bring more advantages

• The reason why you displayed the new images of the items so big, is because we simply cannot distinguish the details with such small icons in the inventory. It must be the reason why you don’t show the new icons in the inventory.
  • It is insane, you now draw such high quality weapons and armors, and are not able to display the details.
  • With big enough images, you don’t need to draw a second icon of the item to display it bigger. Everything is simply functional.
  • You seem to seek convenience when saying “To avoid interrupting gameplay”[…], we’re not planning on bringing back different-sized items". Excuse me but, in order to play quickly, how can you differentiate a dagger from a sword without different sizes? How do you differentiate to equip a ring from a circlet?
  • You say pockets of inventory management disturb gameplay, but why would different sizes disturb gameplay since you add tabs that sort object types? It’s actually the opposite: once you have every item type sorted, you can more quickly visually locate items with different sizes.
  • Different sizes simply make the game more believable and immersive.

Inventory looks too flat

An inventory is an ancient instrument of storage. It’s a physical objects with shifting boxes and spaces. We must be able to see the depth of the boxes, we need an inventory (like every panel) that LOOKS like a physical tool. With micro shadows, bumps and sense of materiality.
Though, Items images now half 3d rendered/painted/lighted are now good.

Miscellaneous

• The (work in progress) co-ops interface artstyle and structure lack structure, especially backgrounds and banners hurt the eyes I think. Talents icons look good.
  • Various behaviours of monsters are most welcome! It encourages spell decision making in combat, in place of forced spell diversity driven by cooldowns.
  • Monsters tone, art, animation look sharp, very convincing and appealing.
4 Likes

The items in D2 just look so much better than what’s in D3 & what’s in D4 so far.

This is a bias based on first and long-term perception. D4 items look far much better than poorly textured and modelled D2’.

1 Like

Imo the D4 interface looks much better than the mock-up above.

And tetris inventory should just stay dead. Show the details in a tooltip for those who want it. Or have an in-game lore “book” with paintings and information about all found items, monsters, areas etc. That could be neat.

I dont think that has been confirmed to be the case? Only for rares and up so far.

1 Like

You know what would ACTUALLY be more believable and immersive? If items had a weight attached to them and your capability to carry items was tied to your strength stat.

Pretending that your character stopping to play inventory tetris is more believable and immersive is just BS.

1 Like

This is also a good inventory

Regarding the inventory. I wouldn’t mind a more realistic approach to inventory space. I would like it to be more limited, and inventory space be upgradeable with improved carry bags, armor attachments. At the end, one would need a donkey or horse to bulk loot enemies. Further, another option is the ability to mark loot areas which you can show to traders or blacksmiths then they basically buy the locations for loot from you. Stuff you can carry on yourself should be limited a little more realistically. :). If none of this gets used in the game, I will be OK. But would love to play a game with such an approach when it comes to loot and inventory space.

A Necromancer has resurrected the dead, from 3 months ago.