D3 PTR servers lag compared to Normal D3 Servers

I have noticed that since the PTR came back online I am having a constant ping of 800 to 1500 making the game completely Unplayable at it takes rough 4 seconds for anything to happen.

Checking my connection I am having a rough Ping of 245 to your servers and normal D3 servers on the current season are going between 200 and 250 ping while playing and are completely smooth which is fine for my location…

Is this an issue with your PTR servers being over saturated and not having the Capacity to host so many players trying the PTR or are your servers having issues since the re release of the PTR for season 21.

I am not running any VPN’s and I do not have a bad connection as I would be experiencing this on both normal and PTR servers.

Your feedback would be much appreciated

First, wrong forum. Support only solves issue for live realms. PTR isn’t part of their service.

Second, I don’t see similar report for PTR connection issues recently, on other forums as well. So, likely your local issue.

Third, I see you are playing in EU realm. Please understand that PTR server is located in US, higher latency is expected. Though 800-1500 is too high. Likely, some internet issue between you and US. Unfortunately I don’t have much to suggest.

1 Like

This ^^^ The PTR server is in Los Angeles, California on the West Coast of the US. Your normal servers for EU are located in the EU so you will have a much better connection to those.

Everyone, worldwide, connects to the same PTR server for D3, so that server load may play into it - when it gets full they put people in queue.

1 Like

Thanks a lot guys for the help. That atleast makes sense why the latency would be higher buy not sure why it would be close to 1500.

Sorry for posting it here though. wasnt sure where to post this.

Most of the time you would post it on the PTR Feedback or PTR Bug Report forums. Tech Support (this forum) is for the Live game, not the PTR. Test realms are often buggy and unstable due to the nature of it being a test build.

In this case though, it was quite easy to explain where the servers are located which is likely the biggest issue you have.

One option you have, although it is not officially supported by Blizzard, is to use a VPN to change your routing. Sometimes going through a different route skips around whatever traffic jam you are encountering on your normal connection.

Edit - and magically it was moved to the PTR Bug Report forum!

I’m in the UK.
My latency to the live EU servers is usually 40-50ms.
My latency to the PTR server is usually 220-250ms.
If the OP is getting 800-1500, that’s a problem with the route, not the destination.

I’ve played on the last six or seven PTRs and this time has been the laggiest I’ve seen yet. That’s specifically lag rather than latency, i.e. the latency indicator stays green but there’s a noticeable delay between pressing stuff and it actually happening.

The seasonal theme seems to be particularly graphics-intensive. Perhaps the delays are caused whilst the effects are loaded into memory for the first time. Perhaps it was just because the PTR server was particularly busy. I know that when I test in the early morning BST (which means most USA players are in bed, and Asia players haven’t got in from work yet) it’s the time I get best responsiveness.

That was my take as well, it is a long way from the EU to California. That is why I suggested trying a VPN if they are comfy with it.

Yeah, either of these can also come into play. I had addressed the server load previously, but not the graphics caused lag. I know D3 has issues with that esp in 4 person games.

I am on the west coast of the US, 4ish hours north of Blizzard headquarters and this lag has made the PTR near unplayable even in single player. I know the PTR can be laggy, but this is by far the worst I have ever experienced. Definitely not my internet. I’m on GB fiber.