D2R GPU Temps are up there!

Lol at 50% resolution scaling from 1440p you are effectively playing the game at 720p just switch to classic mode dude.

I’ve done some checks and here is what I could see:
test was done with Ryzen 7 3700 and rtx 2070S OC version. 2560 x1440 with all Video options on max (Very High) ad res scale 100. I don’t plan to play on anything lower than that so I didn’t bother to check lower settings. My card has 3 default modes : OC (performance), Game Mode (in the middle), and silent mode. I’ve checked 2 refresh rates on my monitor: 144Hz and then capped it to 60Hz. Test done after 1hour of playing. I’m using 2 monitors (on 2nd: browser + monitor tools (HWiNFO, etc) opened as I wanted to simulate the environment I’ll be using when playing D2R). Current room temp: 27-ish C

CPU temp: 60-65 C for 144Hz and 50-55 for 60Hz

GPU:
GPU memory usage: no matter what refresh rate it was staying the same: lobby: 51%, in game: 76% at start but after an hour of playing it stayed on 81-84%

TEMP:
LOBBY:
(144Hz) - OC mode: 69-70 C / GM (Game Mode): 67C / SM (silent Mode): 64-65
(60Hz) - no matter what mode, it stayed around 62C

IN GAME:
OPEN MAP:
144Hz - OC: 67-70C [80-105 FPS] / GM: 66-67C [80-105 FPS] / SM: 63-64C [60-80FPS]
For all modes, FPS dropped to 60FPS when there is a portal on the screen (like the portal to Tristram)
60Hz - in all modes the temp was basically the same: 53-60C

DUNGEONS and Dark areas:
144Hz - OC: 64-65C [120-144FPS] / GM: 65C [120-144FPS] / SM: 63C [120-144FPS]
60Hz - all modes were basically the same around 43-45C when capped to 60Hz/FPS

Based on the above looks like changing the refresh rate of the monitor to 60Hz is helping a lot without having to change any of the other settings. During my test with everything maxed out i’ve never went above 70C but even then my tower was getting hotter than it should for a remastered 20y old game :slight_smile: But I’m not an expert on optimization, just leaving some data in hope it can be usefull. As mentioned, I don’t plan on playing D2R with anything below Very High and Res Scale 100, so didn’t test those options, but I’m guessing, messing with them a little bit might also help.

I’m also having extremely high temperatures.

GPU and CPU at 175 farenheit while playing at 1080, even with frames capped at 62 on a 120hz monitor.

Nvidia 1080 GTX
Intel 6700k
16gb ram
Windows 10

Only this game give me this temps. It is so bad i had to stop playing to prevent my hardware from burning.

This should the top priority fix in the game without question.

1 Like

Fully agreed - buying D2r to play anything lower is a misunderstanding.

Exactly :slight_smile: Refresh Rate is the only thing I’m ok to go lower with as the difference is barely noticeable, especially that on open maps with a lot of glowing objects FPS are going down to 60 anyway. And because for me Refresh Rate seems to be helping with temps enough, I’ll just cap FPS to 60 and I’ll hope full release won’t screw the temps even worse :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno if something changed last night…No problem at all with fps (yesterday it fluctuated a lot sometimes, from 12fps to 60fps) : a steady 60fps and a GPU temp of 54°c (RTX3060Ti in 3440x1440). Experience was perfect this afternoon.

No issues at all.

CPU: i7 - 7700K @ 4,2 GHZ (water cooled)
GPU: RTX 2070 from MSI
RAM: 64GB
resolution: 1920x1080
resolution scale: 101
sharpening: 49

GPU temp: between 53 °C - 60 °C

My RTX 3070 (WQHD, max settings, 144 hz, i7 11700k, 32 gb ram) hits 74° celsius and to 87° hot spot temp. When I play cyberpunk on ultra with raytracing the absolute maximum is 70°. In window mode (full hd, 144hz) the temp goes down to 70° but the usage of gpu in task manager says 22%, so my card should be bored. If I compare it to heroes of the storm in WQHD I get max temp 67° with 65% gpu usage, something is really wrong here. When I am in d2r wqhd character screen, the gpu usage is 1-2% by task manager but the temp hits 74°.

Edit: If I cap at 60 fps, the temp is 58° maximum instead of 74° at 144. This issue is only in d2r.

I hope it can be fixed somehow.

For people that limit frames to 60fps, it should run fine in terms of temperature. Temperatures seem to start to exponentially grow if you use FPS high than that though.

Yea, same for me. I hope I can make use of my hardware on full release though…I do not experience that kind of temperatures in any other actual game.

My CPU utilization is like 10%, GPU utilization is like 70%. Temp is 40-50

Ryzen 5 3600, 3060TI

Yeah ok, the problem is way bigger here, than user settings.

1 Like

Same here. GTX 1080Ti.
Not overclocked.

With 1080p on 200% resolution and no fps cap the fans are on 100%.

I limited resolution to 1080p on 144 fps and now it is okay.

Hello.im using rtx 2060 msi ventus xs oc.
I had same issues.until i uninstalled afterburner and riva
Went into nvidia control panel and added the game then capped fps 60.
Screen settings remained 144hz 1080p
Gpu usage dropped a lot and temps dropped from 80 degrees to 60.
Well it sorted my issue with this.hope this helps guys.
Using over 120fps made the gpu scream.

While using V-Sync is a possible solution, if you have a screen with adaptive sync (such as me, using a 1440p 240hz G-Sync panel) you’ve probably already got v-sync on system wide to cap FPS from going over 240.

The bigger issue is the engine - which looks amazing, by the way - seems to really spiral at higher settings. - As an example, when I’m in a cave, GPU utilization and power consumption go significantly down - coming back out and it skyrockets again.

Setting everything to the lowest it will go certainly works now, but again these cards running this hard and this hot is something that needs to be addressed at the engine level, not “everyone turn on v-sync” which doesn’t do anything anyways if you’ve got a high resolution, high refresh monitor.

Yeah this is weird for a “remake” with lower graphics capabilities than “prettier” games that run fine without heating issues. Definitely seems that it goes beyond just “user settings” and needs to be addressed in engine.

Hardware:

Alienware 34" Ultra Wide 1440p @ 100hz
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (AIO liquid cooled)
2x NVIDIA GeForce 2080 Ti’s (NvLink, standard fan cooling)

Session:

CPU: ~42-43c (fine)
GPU1: 86c
GPU2: 34c (game probably doesn’t utilize SLI)
Settings: All high (100hz cap, vsync on)

Session started well (with lower temps) until about 20 minutes or so in when I noticed the GPU temp spiking. Degraded performance past that. Also, asking people to turn these down doesn’t make sense as the game should run fine and not cause issues on higher end PC’s. I get it for a short term fix, but if able I’m sure people would like to run the game at full settings without burning out a GPU potentially…

Here is my experience (Ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 2060s). Same starting issue as for everyone, no matter the settings, my GPU temp just goes up to the maximum.

After 2 hours playing with settings I almost had a solution:
First, I lowered my refresh rate to 85, enabled vsync and disabled RivaTuner.
Then I started the game, I lowered every graphics settings to the minimum (which does absolutely nothing on its own).
Then I restarted the game with the already minimum settings and I got normal and stable temp values!
After that, I set normal settings (between high and very high) and I still had normal and stable temp values.
This works until the moment I portal back to town.
Here is what happening after arriving and standing still:
____https://i.imgur.com/AaZci2E.png

This is where I gave up on the beta. Simply ridiculous behavior.

EDIT:
Of course, I had to try one more thing, and it’s WORKING!
So I’m doing the same thing as before, just more often. Every time before I save and exit, portal, go to a new level etc, I set the low graphics preset. Then I go back to high/very high preset and my temp is perfectly fine. If I’m not doing this with high settings, then my gpu temp just spiraling out like for everyone here.
I’m playing with 90fps cap, no vsync now. I could go way higher, but whatever, I’m happy that it’s kinda playable atm.

1 Like

I tried something similar (nearly identical settings) for my GTX 1050 TI and got similar results. They really need to fix this so that we don’t have to do it ourselves. An in-game setting choice maybe?

RTX3060Ti here and I have like 53-54°c, 3440x1440@60fps.
Seems alright.

Only problem was 24h ago, big framerate drop and very hot…it’s like they changed somehting since and now it’s much better, for me at least.

Ok, so I am having issues here too, my gpu got up to 77c, which I have never seen with it before, even on stuff like Cyberpunk, Sekiro etc etc, granted I had it overclocked, but nothing which should take the temp up so high.

Specs :
AMD Ryzen 3600x
ASRock B550 mobo
32gb Corsair 3200 ram
ASUS ROG 1070GTX
Playing in 1920 X 1440 - I tried 4k but it killed FPS :smiley: locked in at 60fps

I was getting game crashes followed by a system crash, took off the overclock and it seems stable, but the temps are still high, just around 75ish… which still seems a bit too much, made sure I had the latest drivers etc etc.