Could Blizzard at least be honest about HC death?

I know we’ll never get them to admit their servers are flaming piles of dog poo. But when a toon dies from lag instead of showing some idiotic monster or environmental effect as the cause I’d love to see “Server Lag” listed as the killer.

Just lost 90 hours on my season 20 Sader in full ancient gear to a dark berserker and 10 seconds of nightmare lag. The dark berserker didn’t kill her but the lag sure did; but that’s not what’s on her tombstone. RIP, Trituradora, you deserved a noble death and were robbed of that.

4 Likes

Yeah blizzard doesn’t give af lost my 40+hr T9 sader in T5 while at full health and shielded. I have 4 archived HC heroes that were slain to “unknown” all under similar circumstances. Honestly this company should be boycotted this is the least of their transgressions against gamers.

2 Likes

Tis why I refuse to play HC on this game.

3 Likes

Despite “Intermediary network hop somewhere between your PC and Blizzard’s servers dropping packets” being way more likely.

1 Like

Every time I die in hc due to a server lag I tell myself ‘‘never again’’. Bt every season after a few weeks of softcore I can’t help recreating an hc character and going for it again until I die :slight_smile: At least now I have 1500 paragons in non seasonal hc (3300 in sc).

Not to be malicious to the OP, but why does everybody blame every little nuance of the Internet to Blizzard servers?
Way too much copper and fiber optics between servers and home router/switch to know where the issue occurred.
My experience here in peninsular Florida when ever I’ve gotten stupid lag spikes, I go look at Nexrad radar and see massive thunderstorms with cloud to ground lightning between me and Blizzard, that’s where I imagine my issues come from.

4 Likes

It’s not just their clunky hardware but their poorly designed server code.

First, from the hardware side of things I’m in SoCal on a 500Mb/s fiber connection. There’s no excuse for 10s of lag. None.

But beyond that there’s no excuse for server code that would fail a second year CompSci class. When your client has been sending you a steady stream of content 10 to 30 times a second for the past hour and suddenly stops for 3 seconds you don’t assume everything is normal and keep processing. You assume something has gone wrong and deal with it accordingly. They don’t have to disconnect but they’re are dozens of mitigation options besides, “stand around and get wailed on”. Just firing their main attack, moving in the direction they were last moving, anything but “stand around and get hit repeatedly until dead” would be an improvement. Perhaps a temporary shield effect? Again, anything but nothing. But that would require Blizzard gave a rat’s patootie about their code or their customers. It’s painfully clear they don’t care about either.

3 Likes

Unless you have an ethernet cable from your PC to Blizzard’s server, there are 20-30 network hops between your fiber and the servers. Any of those hops could have a problem and you’d get lag.

You’re essentially arguing that you have a fast car, are driving from New York to Dallas, and complaining that it’s Dallas’s fault that you hit a traffic jam somewhere on the journey.

And how would this code determine whether a fault happened, or you pulled your ethernet cable out in the hope that your HC hero wouldn’t die?

I know what you mean…I just lost my 2nd hardcore character in 2 days from server disconnects…Both times I was just leveling a gem in low gr wearing augmented ancient gear when all the sudden I get an error code regarding disconnect. Log back in and my character is dead. Very frustrating . I check my internet connection and it was still fine with low latency yet this happens . Been playing this game since the first week the original came out…starting to think it’s time to drop blizzard all together.

1 Like

Says the guy with nearly 4000 forum posts, do you work for blizzard? This season I’ve died 6 times in HC, four of them were completely due to disconnects. Another because I was trolled into joining a game I thought was a much lower T level. It’s always like this, it’s never been different. Blizzard suckered me into buying a game they took over 15 years to make, only to then set up an illegal black market (the auction house), which they quietly did away with once people started paying attention. Damn if I’m giving them another red cent.

Your network traffic will be going through 20-30 network hops to get to and from Blizzard’s servers. If any of those hops drop enough packets to cause a disconnection you might lose your HC hero. You’re responsible for the first hop (because it’s your PC to your router, so an ethernet cable) and Blizzard are responsible for the last few hops (because they’re inside Blizzard’s network edge) but everything else isn’t. It’s way more likely that the problem is one of the 20+ hops that are outside your and Blizzard’s purview and responsibility because if it was regularly Blizzard’s hops, it’d cause problems for everyone that was connected at the time.

Lol so you don’t work for Blizzard is what you’re saying? The problem is… and trust me anyone who plays can tell you this, when you lose in HC it’s almost never because you weren’t set up right or not playing well, it’s usually because the game decided to delete you. I especially like how you’re putting the onus on the gamer for expecting the game to function without treating them unfairly.

I’m not putting the onus on the player, or on Blizzard, but on the companies responsible for the intermediary hops in between them as it’s usually those that are the cause.

Imagine you’re driving from New York to Los Angeles…
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/New+York,+USA/Los+Angeles,+California
Look at all those Construction Zone icons on the blue route. If you got stuck in a traffic jam for an hour due to construction in Illinois, would that be the fault of anyone in Los Angeles? Network traffic’s just like this. You’re blaming the destination when the most likely cause is problems on the route.

1 Like

They are responsible for accounting for the traffic when they make the game, LA doesn’t send you back to New York for encountering traffic.

No, they’re not.

They’re literally only responsible for the network hops from their network edge to the servers. Everything else is someone else’s responsibility.

No, but because you got stuck in a traffic jam in Illinois, the journey took way longer than expected. In terms of internet traffic, that will show up as horrendous lag and/or a disconnect, because the sending/receiving of packets needs to be timely.

What if someone took a slightly different route that missed out that traffic jam in Illinois? Their journey would be just fine, but yours wouldn’t. Again, this is just like internet traffic, where people’s traffic gets to and from the destination by different routes.

Think of how many different routes you could drive from New York to Los Angeles. Some of them will have traffic jams, some won’t. Only the people that get stuck in traffic jams will be delayed. The place you’re driving to isn’t responsible for which route you picked, or whether you got stuck in a traffic jam.

Wow you’re really just stuck on this metaphor; its HC mode, do you get shot when you arrive in LA for being late? Surely there’s a better way to approach the issue other than just assuming everyone will cheat so “screw 'em”. Neither I nor anyone else would take issue with this at all, if it wasn’t the MOST USUAL way of anyone dying in HC,to say that the developer shouldn’t be responsible for doing something about that is just ignorant, or defensive, you still haven’t addressed whether or not you’re an employee.

1 Like

Again, they’re not responsible for any of the network hops that are outside of their own network edge. Any measures they put into the game which would mitigate “Hold on, I’m not getting traffic from that client any more, pause processing what’s happening to that HC hero” are measures that HC players could take advantage of, i.e. when it looks like you’re going to die, press pause, then unplug your ethernet cable. Wait five minutes, plug the ethernet cable back in, log into game and your hero, that should have died, lived instead.

Blizzard staff post with blue text.
MVPs post with green text.
I post in white just like you.

That’s not the only solution to the problem I offered. I made that as an example of them doing more then just showing up. For example, if my toon simply kept swinging her weapon and didn’t just stand around staring at her navel while getting wailed on this thread wouldn’t be here. That’s all I did on T16 Nephalim runs: move and press left-click, I didn’t even use right-click. I never needed potions or any abilities at T16 even for elite mobs. But Blizzard has opted to do nothing and can’t be bothered to do something like dual connections or other more advanced reliability options. Basically they’ve written the simplest client/server they could and think it’s good enough. Well, it’s not, not even close.