Cosmetics in D4 - Keep Wings Out

D4 is marketed as bloodier, darker, and more gritty than Diablo 3. If that’s the case, keep it that way even with the microtransaction cosmetics.

No butterfly wings. No mechanical Starcraft wings. No wings at all, frankly. They fit the DBZ-tier Nephalem I guess, but not the more grim and realistic world of D4. If you like this garbage, keep playing D3 and don’t ruin it for the rest of us.

51 Likes

don’t play with people, and you will not see wings. don’t ruin your biased opinion for those who want more wings.

24 Likes

Cosmetics in D4 - Keep Wings Out

it’s strange,
-i like wings in art.
-i even like some of them in D3.

but, playing with wings on, to me, is not that handy:
-it clouds my vision in close combat.

but it’s great we can choose to wear them, or not. :statue_of_liberty:

1 Like

On the topic of cosmetics. I think it would be cool dye them. Dyes should be rare tradeable consumable items found in the world that can be used infinitely. I don’t like that in Diablo 3 every dye is given to you already. I want to find them in the world and hunt for that rare dye that you really want to make your character look awesome. It feels more rewarding.

4 Likes

While I agree, I don’t see it happening. Blizz games always have some light, giggly, nonsense in them. Cow level, whimsydale, wings, goofy pets in D3, Mechagnomes, Vulpera, Cutsie pink ponytale gnomes in WoW…I think I just puked a little in my mouth.

Real nerds/geeks were driven out of the drivers seat long ago, and our games are now developed for, and controlled by, the ultra casual wanna be core pink or blue haired “gamer” type. Anything resembling substance is complained about and labeled as elitist. Hard to accomplish? Elitist. Time dependent? Elitist. Lore Based, and compliments the game world? Nah cant have that.

However, if it’s easy, everyone gets to have it, can be accomplished from start to finish in one short game session, breaks lore, breaks immersion, it’s definitely going to make it into a game.

LOL wow I guess I had an opinion about the subject…

10 Likes

Ye, blizz, please leave Rainbows, Health Globes, Lasers, Teddy Bears, Ponnies, Wings and all other things taken from Mario in D3 forver. And cows too.

but it’s great we can choose to wear them, or not.

Too bad you still see others wearing them.

12 Likes

I, for one, want what I want.
But, ahem, so quoth Schopenhauer: A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants.
So, do you want what you want?

No! I like wings! If anything I think we should have more cosmetics!

12 Likes

Yeah, because rainbows don’t happen because light refracts through water droplets, like, say, at the bottom of a waterfall. rolls eyes

I think wings are fine as long as they’re not over the top in size or colours, like the cosmic/rainbow wings

But then when I see toxic crap like this comment i hope they introduce the most flamboyant colourful butterfly wings they’ve ever designed just so you won’t be there

14 Likes

Lol, real nerds. As if only “true heirs” to video games never liked cursive stuff before. No ones complaing about Diablo games being hard. In fact the sentiment amongst most is that they were pretty simple and easy games. The hardest difficulty was a bit difficult but nothing most teenagers couldn’t beat.

Most games back then just didn’t respect the players time. D1 was fine as it was rather short and were rewarded accordingly. D2 totally didn’t respect players time and D3 way over corrected itself in RoS.

And by lore based you mean stuff like a secrete level based on a joke?

2 Likes

Keep transmog out too as an item’s appearance such as with runewords was one reason to hunt for a specific type of armor. The “look” should be part of a runeword’s base items value, on each new item found, not from a transmog library.

Transmog just dilutes itemization, it’s probably one of the most un D2 things D3 did for the worse. Wing’s look way, way to action hero compared to a medieval vibe that no-wings chars give off. Both wings and transmog were poor choices, as you want to see the armor you’re wearing, and you want each new item’s appearance to matter not, not-matter, because in the past you’ve found a specific item type you can transmog it to.

3 Likes

Not necessarily.

For example, when working in the Crimson set, I always transmog it to resemble the main set I’m wearing.

And there will be items whose effects everyone likes but some people love the look and some hate it… everyone should be able to use them.

4 Likes

See in Diablo 2 the armor’s look was fixed, and it upped or downed each item’s value. In D3, this not a thing, not fixed, it’s open after a short window of time when you’ve collected all the items for ur class.

You may be hunting for an armor lets say that has a way cool look, and a minimal or irrelevant tradeoff from the meta, and so you’re looking for that exact item for that exact look. That’s part of the core item hunt, that D3 stripped away, since it offers such over the top droprates on everything, such as free sets, and what have you.

Also, when the art of the game is realistic like D2s, and not like D3s, the way an item look matters more because its realistic and they don’t all look the same, there’s way more details involved, art wise.

If everyone transmogs to the same sets like in D3, or the same few, everyone looks the same. That’s less individualism in a game dominated by sets and supp weaps n jewelry. A bad on bad combo.

Like, w transmog, it’s, play meta, change ur appearance to ‘the coolest looking armor’ which is a small pool, subjectivity doesn’t come into play here when it’s obvious due to the rushed nature of the artwork that made many of the armor sets look inferior on a subjective scale to most ppl. ie, it’s not that hard to be like “yea this looks way better than that” for most people bc its not realistic armor like D2 where almost everything looks so cool.

Transmog is bad, so are gigantic wings that look superhero. Individualism and item-worth are both good things, and having an item’s appearance be a reason to play the game and hunt for it is a big deal. But these devs don’t get that, they think everyone wants to just play meta, group comp, youtube it, and transmog to the 'coolest looking not-realistic armor and weaps" while wearing wings that span 1/4 the screen, using nitro skills to move around, on a zoomed in camera, bouncy hop into movement skill, and so on.

Also, no transmog means you can look at someone else and know for certain what they are wearing outside of runewords. Plus, its individual to wear something ugly but not that ugly since it looks realistic still, and stand out that way.

Play some D2 and then come back to 3 and you’ll understand.

I for one prefer to have a transmog system and I did play D2 for 7+ years.

Even there I had my prefered armors for my RWs only cause of their look, transmog system just makes it easier. ‘BP on Amazon,MP on Pala,Dusk on Druid/Sin,etc’
I also don’t necessarily transmog the ‘coolest or whatever’ armor set, I simply use what I personally like.

This is one of the reasons why I just can’t stay in PoE cause everything looks so damn bad unless you cash out on cosmetics and there is no free transmog that I’m aware of.

Grim Dawn has transmog and so does Wolcen ‘one thing they did right’.

I don’t like wings in D3 btw, pretty much never wear them or at most Wings of Valor 1-2 times/year for a few runs.

3 Likes

The notion that 1, everyone thinks the same things are cool and 2, that only the flashy stuff would get mogged is silly to me.

Like you I mog what I like. My Paladin in WoW has been rocking the T4 set since Transmog was a thing. It’s simple and elegant. Similarly in D3, my Crusader and Barb have simple but class defining mogs that most would consider dull.

5 Likes

Yea, to be honest this is the first time I heard such thing as ‘meta’ transmog. :thinking:

I’ve also used to play an ‘MMO’ for years which had this system, it was just called differently there.
Since end game was rather lacking, character customization was considered end game activity.

There I had pretty much all of my char’s gear fused/transmogged and my main char had a fused look that was a years old gear cause I liked it.

I guess its thanks to that game mainly that I prefer this system in every gear/looter game I play since, being forced to wear whatever looking crap is meh.

2 Likes

You don’t understand. D4 is an MMO-esque RPG not-at-all-solo gaem. Devs will force us to play with others if we wish to experience D4 in its entirety.

I’m in agreement with OP, the cutsie stuff needs to stay out of D4.

1 Like

I don’t feel super strongly about it but if I had my choice I’d turn off the ability to see others wings.

It would be a nice compromise since I don’t like them not I’m not against people who do.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t equate cow level to anything near the level of silliness in D3.

3 Likes