Cosmetic microtransactions in D3 incoming?

I guess. I don’t know enough about programming the interface to say, but it seems like a lot to do to integrate a workable MTX system into the existing game.

Absolutely. And marketing in D3 is dictated by DI and D4.

I don’t think this is a PR trick. This is bigger than a PR trick. No one will hire programmers again for D3 in order to update core systems just to make the fans forget the 2018 Blizzcon fiasco.

Reason is D4 and the new development direction it took, I am 99% sure of it.

They have the tools to make new items in minutes and probably a ton of leftover artwork they’ve never used. I’m also pretty sure they have everything done by now, but will be releasing it little by little to look as if they are working on the game.

Just a quick example: all seasonal rewards were datamined since before seasons were introduced. And 5 (or idk) years later they are still recycling their old content.

Monetizing D3 is not a problem. I don’t think D3 is still making much money on PC, but it’s still making money on consoles. But after 3 years I bet it’s also making much less money on consoles. It’ll be a good chance to deliver aRPG D4 at that time.

On the other hand if it’s a different RPG (like Destiny), I’m not sure how others will think about it but I’ll hesitate on pre-purchasing. That means getting rid of almost all the diablo-like systems and becoming just a Blizzard game with Diablo theme, and IMO if it’s good enough Blizzard won’t refrain on making a new IP for it.

D4 = aRPG. They won’t create non-aRPG Diablo game. Even they are not that misinformed.

However, an aRPG could take many forms:

• Classical like previous Diablo games
  • MMO-like
  • FPS like Hellgate
  • FPS/MMO mix like Borderlands
  • Platformer/browser game

All these can fall in the aRPG genre and still gather to a different player base. I would prefer classical top-down view and single play, you would prefer FPS/MMO mix, other will prefer something else. The games don’t compete with one another. I spend my money on the game I have chosen to play, you on yours, yet they are all aRPG games.

It would be the best option for d3 future, cosmetics didnt make impact on gameplay, that would turn into a good money for blizz to invest on further development of d3.

As was mentioned above, we all know that cosmetics can be bought on the Chinese server, it’s just the NA and EU that don’t have these MTX. But does anyone actually know what the official reason for that is, or is it just speculations on our part?
Since these things already exist, it appears to make very little sense that they’re not trying to get a few extra bucks from them on the other servers too…

Don’t expect a blue post to explain us why they don’t use MTX on EU/US server. We can only speculate about this.

My guess is they’re trying to get people excited about Diablo ahead of a future D4 announcement that will almost certainly have a long term monetization model.

That would be exactly my guess too if the blog post didn’t mentioned “system updates”. With this in it, the picture becomes completely different.

It’s a smart business move, i know D3 is not free to play but if you look at other free to play games, their income is mainly from a cosmetic shop, like skins, items that are purely just for looks. I’m pretty sure if D3 was free to play and had a cosmetic shop they would have a better revenue and be able to create more content faster. Who knows, maybe we will see that happen one day.

they could make a TON on skill effects alone. Just change the color number in the programming and viola, instant cash. $5 for a green blood nova etc.

1 Like

Indeed, this is already working for PoE. They can learn a lot from that little cashshop of theirs.

1 Like

That is exactly the reason why they haven’t done this in D3 until now - they know people will go crazy about it and spend a ton on these. Later, the same people will spend less on D4. And overall you are behind.

Now what if this was the case, but it is not anymore, because D4 is a hybrid. People who love D3 and top-down view will see D4 gameplay at Blizzcon 2019 and tell to themselves: “I won’t play this, I’ll rather spend money on new D3 cosmetics that are coming with S19”.

Those others who like the new D4 won’t invest much in D3 knowing they are going to switch.

This pretty much safeguards you from cannibalizing your own player base, because of the instant cash you get from them.

Just imagine what would happen if GGG announce PoE 2 tomorrow and it is again a top-down aRPG, but with better engine. All those people who invested thousands in PoE 1 will be sad pandas rioting the forums and wanting charge backs.

I’m not expecting a blue post to explain it now. I just though that maybe on launch of the MTX in China, it was hinted at why we are not getting the same thing, and I was just unaware of it.

Someone has to dig this, surely there was some statement about the MTX coming on the Chinese forums, but I expect it was just protocol with no interesting info for us.

You don’t need to know programming. You only need to know the system was already developed by blizzard long ago, used on Chinese server since its beginning (maybe S3?), and once tested on global servers.

The system is a lot of work to do, but not if it is there and they choose not to open it.