#ConsolePlayersMatter

All I hear from them is crickets.

Always, my man, always. I was pleasantly surprised the day I saw pezradar respond on the console boards. I thought perhaps blizzard was turning a new leaf and giving the console community some much needed attention, but that doesn’t seem to be the case do far. Hopefully Homer is right and we’ll see some love at blizzcon. I’m in a state of guarded optomism…hoping for something good but not going to let myself be too disappointed if there’s nothing. It really kind of a bummer to even have that mindset, but that’s our situation.

1 Like

We can blame the players for being jaded, or we can blame the circumstances which led to them being jaded. I don’t think any console player just simply “decided” to be upset with Blizzard; that response doesn’t just come out of thin air. It has to be earned. And…man…did they ever earn it.

I don’t like the direction Blizzard’s new masters are leading them in. I’m not sure who’s exactly responsible, but then I don’t care either. When a company does things you don’t like, you stop giving them money. It’s the only way to get through to them. Maybe if their wallets get a little lighter, we’ll start seeing more communication here.

Haven’t been on here in forever but its sad to see they still haven’t fixed this issue. I remember getting a few temp bans for calling them out on this issue. They would move questions from the console discussion forum to another forum so the person that initially asked the question could not even respond to answers or even give more clarification to what they were discussing.

Well thank you for stopping by again!

I have definitely made the attempt here to make sure the topic does not stray into name calling and or degrading comments. Although, it cannot be prevented 100%.

It is saddening to see little to no progress with this issue; however, that should not discourage us from continuing to press the issue.

Again thanx for stopping by to chip in your support.

1 Like

So lots of questions now that D2:R has been announced for Consoles…it is a bit hard to be super enthusatic when we literally get zero interaction from the community managers.

How can we ask questions, get information, offer feedback etc if we are ignored?

6 Likes

I think the fact that you are not allowed to post on the D2:R forum until you purchase the game, you can only purchase on PC. This leads me to believe console players should expect the kind of support we have come to know and love from Blizzard with D2. It would be great to see this change, doesn’t mean I won’t buy the game, just that I won’t be setting my expectations too high.

2 Likes

Yeah, this would have been the perfect opportunity for Blizzard to put a better foot forward as far as incorporating console player inclusion. Sadly it appears to be yet another cash grab with no consideration given to the console community. Is this what we should continue to expect “moving forward”?

Probably.

For myself, they’re not getting another cent until I see more appropriate behavior out of them. No, it won’t change anything. Yes, I’m going there anyway.

Totally your call to make there.

I think everyone’s going to keep conveying this one, so sooner or later I think they’ll get the partners onboard to do what needs to be done. Not going to hold my breath, but I do think they’ll be feeling the weight of numbers behind this one and engaging with all relevant parties.

It could be something pretty exciting for them to announce along with one of the coming releases which I’m sure would earn them all quite a bit of cred.

ps, i just noticed Necro forums are open alongside console / consule bugs / etc… was it always that way or did something change?

It’s kinda dumb that you need to own D3 on the launcher to prove you own Diablo 3… I bought it used but I beaten D3 twice.

It’s a good forum control imho.

Without it trolls easily…
… create duplicate accounts when they get binned or are accumulating moderated comments and
… beat up / love their own comments / posts.

Unfortunately for Console it seems they haven’t worked out how or motivated partners to be involved in implementing it yet.

Better people find healthy ways to get along with others than support toxic chat environments.

1 Like

But that’s not what’s popular these days. Modern internet worships only those words which drip acid. Manners, decorum, etiquette, decency…are all dead. I blame social media.

I think you’re onto the gist of it there.

I have a slightly different take on it. Many have been dealing with this for a very long time. Many decades. Have seen what works and what doesnt and how it can go when well managed vs not well managed.

That used to be mostly the technical among us in society with some exceptions.

Next you have Facebook and the like who have delivered online chat into the hands of much closer to the entire population of the planet for an explosion of interconnectedness… a whole new world to the vast majority of these people… and in such numbers those with more practice with it are often drowned it. Vitriol, trolling and toxicity par for the course in many places that haven’t worked out how to manage it. Society will learn with time, but it could be quite a while. There are some signs of movement in the right direction. Even some legislation starting to come in at the most extreme / vulnerable ends of it in some places.

Facebook’s leadership is doing itself no favours on perceptions in this area at the moment either.

Shock.

I think of it like handing a plasma cutter to a caveman. He might eventually fumble his way into getting it to do something, but…it won’t be a good thing. I doubt he’d ever fully understand the potential in his own hands. Easier just to beat an enemy to death with the nozzle than figure out how to create a stable spark gap and cut out a shield for his family.

I will always be the first to raise my fist in defense of free expression. But “freedom” doesn’t mean “abuse”. It means pursuing our abilities in a positive direction, not exploiting those abilities to deny others their fair access to same. To me, freedom of expression doesn’t just mean you say whatever you want all the time…it means being free to convey an idea or free to disagree with someone else’s idea. That can be done without psychological warfare or trying to convince someone else their life means nothing.

Simply put, there is a difference between the right to speak and harassment, abuse, verbal violence. We should have a right to one of those things.

Color me a dreamer, but I hope for the day when we can actually speak, not scream. Listen, not deny. Exchange, not dominate. Discuss, not destroy.

Forgive me if I don’t hold my breath.

You’re right that there is a difference between freedom of speech and abuse.

Forum controls help a lot, like that which is under discussion.

In it’s absence people can be tempted to make this place more like Facebook with fake accounts dodging moderation / liking their own posts to create the illusion of support when they wish to

• make a point
  • get abusive
  • marginalise / suppress freedom of speech that don’t support their narcissistic / sociopathic tendencies.

For reasons I cannot state (violation of CoC), I am super happy to hear somebody else say that. Where I live, it’s pretty much all-or-nothing on that issue.

I’m not sure that one is totally on FB, so much as the average human’s desire to inflict harm without risking retaliation. I actually wrote a paper on that, believe it or not. It led to a pretty interesting discussion with the prof after class. Fun times.

If they had a point to make, they would make the point and the point would speak for itself. People resort to shilling when they don’t have a valid argument.

Again…the instant personal attacks are involved, I take that as broadcast admission of defeat. “I can’t refute your argument, so I attack you instead.” Nothing says “winner” like namecalling and attempted defamation of character. Pro tactics there.

Ooh, and that one hits a little close to home for me, considering all that’s happened recently. I won’t go too far into that for the same reasons mentioned above. What I will say is that the people who crow the loudest about freedom of expression are usually the ones who think it only applies to them.

Folks…nobody has to agree. That’s kind of the whole reason why forums have these rules to begin with. What we do have to do is find a way to disagree constructively.

People have died by their own hand because of the intense stress and hopelessness caused by online harassment. After a certain point, we have to look at preservation of life. Nobody should feel like their life is over just because some idiot with a keyboard got bored and decided to start a war.

The world is just starting to realize that words actually can hurt, and not just mentally or emotionally. The words we choose to use can influence not only others’ opinions, but also their actions. We can be liable for those actions.

After a certain point…being the cool guy on the forum who can sling insults the fastest just isn’t worth somebody’s safety or life.

It is important more people work in these areas.

Your points on attacking the person when the argument is flawed is becoming increasingly understood too.

The point in that para was not so much to put it on FB, but to acknowledge that people can use the tools here to make it more like FB if the moderation controls are weak… such as by not confirming a license is owned, letting peeps…

• dodge moderation
  • beat up / love their own comments / posts

… getting back to where we started.

The moderation controls here dont seem to be too bad otherwise.

1 Like

I like seeing your above conversation! Ultimately though, the issue raised was about requiring a liscense via a launcher that is only made available on PC. Even though I do agree that this approach is quite useful for moderating control, it does also lead to the very reason this thread was created. The blizzard devs have created a division in the community. The very points that ya’ll mentioned in your more recent posts are completely violated via Blizzard choosing to create a “console” forums section, which does not require liscense validation. Any random joe can create a non validated account and post in the console forums. They can create as many accounts as they want, and perform the very actions mentioned previously. We console players are left in a “broom closet” of a forum that goes mostly unmoderated, ignored, and neglected.

I like that you like seeing it :slight_smile:

True.

Unfortunately it does seems they have neglected to implement that.

Indeed.

So by that, the rest of the forums are a protected space in so far as contributors are known to be players or at least have been players. And presumably limited in forum accounts to the non-banned licenses they hold. Oops… that could mean cheats might disappear from the conversation.

The point on ignored is well made from the direct engagement point of view. I’ve not seen enough history myself to see the patterns of feedback being implemented in development, but I’m sure you guys have a good feel for that.

I’d go so far as to say it is reasonably well moderated, but able to be circumvented to a degree. To that end it has it’s limits to all but the most tuned-in-to-the-conversation-flow moderator.

So perhaps it is fair to say it is a worthy goal being pursued for the forum as a whole, but #ConsolePlayersMatter and therefore need to be included in that too.

Btw, notice there are some new forum sections for D2 and D2:R and so far these do require license validation.

What I like here is they have made the improvement of informing to users at the top of those pages that a license validation is required… which has not been the case in D3 GD and Class forums… yet. This was confusing for me when I first tried to access the forums and it got annoying so I gave up. I got more determined later and found a way to create a new topic other than new topic in GD.

I wonder how many legit Console players try and arent able to connect just on that point.

Hopefully we do not see a repeat of what’s done here for D2:R Console. Hopefully change is afoot for the new forum sections and the retrofit of work to be done there (nudge) is done here.