Concerns regarding 2.6.9 WD Nerf

I don’t understand why Blizzard didn’t nerf the Regalia set by lessening the Spirit Barrage damage bonus from 20,000% to maybe 18,000% or something less.

With that change, the set would be less powerful, but players would not have to re-engineer the equipment they use. Under this patch, every Regalia build is useless. Basically, people are going to have to start from scratch. I don’t understand why it had to be this way.

[quote=“Giasumaru-1636, post:20, topic:16602, full:true”]
I never liked pet damage effecting Mundungus. It wasn’t intuitive at all. I’d only like to see something else getting buffed a bit to compensate for the loss of Mask of Jeram.[/quote]

Spirits are not pets. However, Blizz accidentally let SB get the pet buff in a patch, and then said they would allow that mechanic to stay in place. Now they are going back on that.

1 Like

I’m going to test more things out in the PTR (when released) and post my findings as I am able.

Unfortunately, testing now even there are factors that can’t be ruled out completely due to how AS is built into the phantasm, and it’s currently impossible to test the build properly without casting phantasms.

The other skill that i’m curious about is Mass Confusion - Hallucination. If the giant spirit/skeleton will still be considered a pet after this nerf as well…

Attack speed has no bearing on phantasm tick rate. Phantasm damage is solely dependent on number of ticks accumulated. IAS doesn’t increase tick rate so therefore it doesn’t increase or decrease damage.

What IAS does do is affect how fast the 4th phantasm gets casts, which would then explode the first phantasm. At 2.381 ias continuous casting, the 1st phantasm gets 4 ticks of damage when the 4th is cast which explodes the 1st phantasm. Over 2.381, the 4 phantasm gets cast faster than 20fps so the 1st phantasm gets 3 ticks and therefore loses damage.

However, no one seriously pushing ever continuously casts. Because you want all 10 seconds worth of ticks, you cast 3, wait 2-3 seconds, cast one, wait 2-3 seconds cast another.

Here’s an in depth technical analysis of how phantasm damage works written when LoN SB was the top build –

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/6egxrm/an_indepth_analysis_and_guide_on_lon_spirit/

Currently WD can speed GR 150 in 4 man meta with 10 mins to spare. With this nerf it’s about 10GR drop but not completely kills the meta. With the nerf to bazooka and no season theme carrying over, WD is still the class to go for trash.

Bazoka is dead. Even with this nerf I still think WD is still the class to go for trash killer since there is no alternative. You just can’t speed 150 with 10-11 mins to spare in 4 man which is never intended in the first place

It is still the strongest WD set and has still a place as trash-killer in 4mans…
For solo play, I expect roughly a 6-7 GR Tier nerf. But we will see. Maybe they buff the manaregen part of Mundunugu a bit. Or the toughness part (for HC, Mundunugu is scary to play :slight_smile:)

1 Like

It’s a disaster! Jak nerf crusadera i WD. Both already have power just right and for example WD in the off-season below 5000 paragon will not kill 150 gr for 4 players, because there is no damage for that! Do they want WD for 4 to be able to play only boats with 10,000+?

Please don’t ruin it for us!

Did you test with a new macro? There’s just no time to move to the oculus, you won’t be able to use zei’s either. Nobody could use it because WD SB got so much stronger, but now, maybe that will change.

You should read the analysis you linked again. Attack speed works as a multiplier, increasing the damage per tick. That is why Pain Enhancer is used to snapshot attack speed on Phantasms.

5 Likes

Even if phantasms keep attack speed still wd loses 3x times from Mask of Jeram (actually a bit lower because that adds to % cold damage but it is about 2.8x damage multiplier loss) and 0.6 x from Enforcer. Which is about 4.5 times less damage combined which is (because each gr is 1.17 more monster HP , 1.17^9.5 = 4.4 times more HP) so the damage loss is about 9.5 GR levels.

Your calculations are inaccurate. Mask of Jeram is a 2.42x damage multiplier. You also didn’t consider any replacements for Mask of Jeram or Enforcer.

5 Likes

100% damage increase is 2x multiplier, 200% of Jeram is 3x multiplier. Ok 40% from cold damge (that is added to that) - minus. So about 2.8x multiplier. Can you explain to me where did you get 2.42x from?
As for the replacements - yes, i didn’t take them into the calculation. Because atm it is hard to predict which ones would be better for wd.

99.99% attack speed won’t remain another multipler for Phantasms. It is not for other Spirit Barrage runes why should it remain a dmg multiplier for phantasm now that they are not considered pets?

3.4/1.4 = 2.42.

3.4 = (1 + 40 cold / 100 + 200 MoJ/100)
1.4 = (1 + 40 cold / 100)

4 Likes

Going to revisit this.

sVr’s reddit thread you posted directly contradicts your claim that Enforcer is additive with MoJ. His post lists (MoJ + elemental) as one multiplier and Enforcer as a separate multiplier. Which is consistent with the 2.4.1 patch notes.

5 Likes

They allowed the buggy bazooka many seasons.

But the totally fine WD is only a one season wonder.

What a poor job Blizz did.

3 Likes

Remember the history and the game balance blog post where they discuss balancing based on non-season numbers.

Solo Worldwide Leaderboard Non-season Era 11 (patch 2.6.6)
Wizard (#1 148, #2 146) :arrow_right: Nerfed next patch (2.6.7)
Necromancer (#1 147, #2 143) :arrow_right: Nerfed next patch (2.6.7)

Solo Worldwide Leaderboard Non-season Patch 2.6.7
Crusader GR 150 :arrow_right: Nerfed next patch (2.6.7a)

Solo Worldwide Leaderboard Non-season Era 12 (Patch 2.6.7ab)
Crusader GR 150 :arrow_right: Nerfed patch 2.6.8

Solo Worldwide Leaderboard Non-season Era 13 (Patch 2.6.8)
Crusader GR 150 :arrow_right: Nerfed upcoming patch 2.6.9
Witch doctor GR 150 :arrow_right: Nerfed upcoming patch 2.6.9

4 Likes

I’d be okay with a buff to mundunugu set to offset the pet interaction nerfs. Somebody with more math skills could probably come up with a reasonable value, but just for example…

(2) Set:
Big Bad Voodoo now follows you and lasts twice as long.
(4) Set:
Gain 60% damage reduction for 30 seconds when you enter the spirit realm.
(6) Set:
Spirit Barrage deals 30,000% increased damage plus an additional % equal to 20 times your Mana Regeneration/Second.

Losing enforcer isn’t a straight 55-60% loss, it will be replaced by another damage gem. Where it hurts most is mask of jeram, which will get replaced by something much inferior like frostburn. This proposed buff isn’t close to adding back all the damage lost, but it’s a start.

Also losing attack speed as a direct damage multiplier does hurt too. It is another ~1.48x multiplier. For example, I loaded my season wd into d3planner. Checked all the buffs, skills (including buffs from CoE, supports, crusader Law etc).
Now with full stacks of Pain Enhancer I have for SB (The Spirit is willing rune)
with Pain Enhancer 30 stacks
DPS: 260,452,029,907,825
without it (Pain Enhancer 0 stacks) :
DPS: 175,101,646,323,080
the loss is 48% which is 1.48 multiplier. So suppose we can compensate somehow 4.5x damage loss down to 3.5 (by using other gems, gear in cube etc). Even then 3.5 x 1.48 = 5.18 times less damage which is more than 10 GR levels.

And no other gem can completely compensate the loss of Enforcer. If you use Zei you lose 25% multiplier from Confidence Ritual passive. Bane of the Powerful is lower dmg and sometimes can be tricky to have full 35% (you need to kill full yellow elite with all minions not just the leader to update the gem’s second buff).

1 Like

actually if you look at the leader board you see quite an assortment of mundunugus builds but not a single one using the phantasm rune. i have a fairly decent(but not great) witch doctor and i tried the phantasm rune and much prefer the manitou rune as a pet as do many other players doing 130-140 runs. myself i hit the wall about 110 but i found a few mistakes i was making and my latency is not cutting edge. WD dominated the leaderboard along with paladin last season and do not be surprised if it dominates again.