Class specific travel mechanics in D4?

No point, there likely won’t be much, if any sailing involved as has been mentioned already. My suggestion remains far more reasonable than a freaking kayak made of bones or corpse surfing, I mean seriously? Zombie Shark or boat made of bones that can’t even hold out water? How is that even a contest?

Bone has no factor in the suggested type of Necromancy, anything formerly living can be reanimated as has been seen in many ways and forms both in this game and other genres.

You’d think so. On the other hand, teh devs haven’t been very forthcoming with whale biology details in the sanctuary lore. :thinking:

1 Like

If D4 has cosmetic MTX in it, you can guarantee there’ll be whales.

you obviously have never played anything but zug zug barbarian.

Necros can revive

Let’s keep it that way. Diablo 4 should never be a full MMO. I do not want to see another toon in my game, let alone a screen full of them.

I feel sure you’ve made that claim before. Now, where was it? Oh, yes…

And how did that work out for you? That’s the thread where you said I shouldn’t give advice about Witch Doctors because I only had 1% of my play-time on the class, and that I clearly knew nothing about them. Less than a week later, I’d rolled a WD and done a GR135 with her.

Not sure if there’s going have any sailing at all, I’m not against the idea though, as stated in this thread I don’t see it coming before an xpack.

I assume that any middle age boat would fit, many things could be done around it, visual, dynamic, art, (…) Smaller boat such as a rowboat or a raft, magically powered, would definitely be funny.
It could also be an interesting way to give a specific presence to the Drowned, I like the idea of being attacked by this monster family while sailing.
Sailing to Kingsport, Skovos Island, Kurast, Lut Gholein, any place where there’s crap to beat out of demons and undead sound fine to me.

Sorcerer & Sorceress can easy do an ice structure while being able maintain or dispel it.
There’s already good ideas stated about what a Necromancer could do, I would just add that sails made from flesh would be a requirement.
Rogue and Barbarian would have to rely on conventional transportation.
The Druid, a big fish as a mount or simply shapeshift into one, both fit the thematic.

Every good ideas and/or innovation is welcome, as long as D4 stay tune with what we can call a Medieval Dark Fantasy ARPG.
This way, Blizzard could work on a boat racing mobile game, something like Diablo Boat Racing which would include classes and sailing mechanics, all of this without any risk to repeat what happened in 2018.

necros can revive though, so the other guy was right and you were wrong because he could revive the shark.

So no one is going to contest the premise that a successful MMORPG has to have you sailing a big part of the time? :man_shrugging:

D4 is not an MMORPG, so what are you going on about. If you want to go sailing around, you can play Tradewinds Odyssey.

There was talk of…

Construction of a bone canoe would require bones.
As sharks don’t have bones, they can’t be used in such a construction.

Was the OP’s idea, I was strongly opposed to it…

Alot of mmorpgs also have flying things. Im not a big fan of those things but some ppl love it. Would those things mean that we see more different mob types or more content? Like dragons or water demons then yeah i would be fine with it.

In the end d4 is a new game and they thrown cows, unicorns and teddies on us before so anything could happen. Im hoping they add some rainbow pooping unicorns atleast. Cause thats diablo, some silly things gotta exist.

Flying things works fine in a tab targetted MMO style, but not so great in a top-down ARPG.

Who knows until u tried. It comes down to how its implented. Just cause u have flying it doesnt mean it be moving from point A to B. When it comes to flying mobs it might require u to use ranged attack. Or that flying mobs just moving around on the battlefield faster while being weak to stuns. It rly comes down to what they want to do.

Maybe there would be flying combat where u face bosses in the air or whatever. Saying it wont work because its a arpg just means u not open for new things. They alrdy stretching the genre and bringing mmo elements to d4. It can be a hit or miss. But we cant tell before we tried.

ok well here is the reasons… With Isometric view ARPG like Diablo, movement is handled on a 2d grid using the left mouse button which moves the character in a controllable way. Adding the third dimension of flight would make that entire movement method impossible and would require a completely different game engine. In addition to the movement issues there would be targeting issues as currently skills travel out along the known 2 dimensions and will either hit creatures who are within that range/area or be mitigated by whatever resistances/armor they have. With a 3d engine the skills would have to be adjusted to another entire axis which again would be a massive change from the current Diablo design.

Considering that basically no succesful MMORPGs has sailing, reality seems to have contested that premise already.

And yeah, considering Diablo 4 should not be an MMORPG regardless, not sure it would matter one way or the other.

Now, if Diablo 4 is meant to be a Final Fantasy clone, then we really needed travelling on both large chickens, ships and airships.
Let’s goooo!

1 Like

There will be no sailing. Sanctuary is one landmass that we already everything about. This isn’t LA, which is about sailing the seas finding stuff.

As for moving to become an MMO, not for D4. They will have a barely shared world that will merge players together for some events and rarely. That’s it and they talked last year about not overdoing the seeing other players thing.

Maybe D5 or a Diablo online, but not for D4. But even then, unless we leave Sanctuary to one of the infinite other realms, there won’t be a need for sailing, unless they ham fist another landmass that no one knew of all of a sudden.

LA has sailing and is clearly a successful MMO.

Assuming you’re talking about LA, that’s different. Since Lost Ark has story and content that takes place on different continents or islands that are separated by large bodies of water. Diablo 4 on the other hand has 5 major regions that players will be at, and none of the regions are separated by large bodies of water, as such sailing wouldn’t make much sense. Expansion? Sure maybe (although I wouldn’t say sailing should take a significant amount of playtime), but base game; not happening.

There’s no such thing as a cow level.