Character models for D2R need improvement

Am I the only one that thinks the character models look horrible ? I mean the Amazon in particular looks like a man. The Barb looks around 45 or older and the assassin looks weird too. Please just upgrade the graphics and not try and change them. Not sure what is going on here. But my God they look crappy. Rest of game looks amazing but the hours I am about to put in with this toon we will not be able to create our on. So please change them more like the original game please.

30 Likes

I’m not usually one for the whole “characters need to be super feminine/masculine or you can’t tell their sex” but if you showed me a picture of just the Amazon’s face you legitimately could not convince me that is not a man.

The other characters I don’t really see a problem with. Sure some of them don’t look young, but I’m not sure that’s really an issue.

2 Likes

I did see a blue post on the other forum that said that they were going to have another look at some of the characters and possibly make some changes to the Amazon specifically. Hopefully they will change her up to look more like the original, or even just a bit more like Cassia in HoTS. A good example from another game imo would be Leia Silvis from Ogre Battle 64 who has more of a Valkyrie aesthetic. Currently, she looks more like a Female Barbarian.

As for the Assassin, I think that they should shoot more toward a Rya Kihlstedt (from Home Alone 3) vibe. I’ve always kind of had a head canon that she looked quite similar to her.

12 Likes

I have no problem with the character models themselves. They look fine as action heroes in a hard land, and considering the time we will see their faces up close, meh. It is just a non-issue to me. They match the game style and tone. Done.

Well they are nothing like the original. The Druid has gain a 100 lbs. The Barb is not ripped and the Amazon looks like a old washed up male. I don’t see why it is so hard to recreate the original here. This is suppose to be a remaster not a remake I thought.

16 Likes

I do understand this sentiment, however, I also understand that people want to like the look of their character no matter how far away the camera is. For some, a less aesthetically pleasing character may be the reason that someone chooses not to play them. (Despite this being kind of shallow, and being a silly reason to not play a character that one would otherwise enjoy…)

3 Likes

Oh, I understand their argument. I just don’t really agree with it. The amount of time people will see the static character model that is around the campfire is miniscule to the amount of time they will be in the game wearing different armor/helmets and such. I prefer the “hardened heroes” look that VV has gone with, overall. It’s almost as if 20 years has passed since we first saw them in the game. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually do like that idea that 20 years have passed and that these heroes are coming back together after saving the world once! I actually hadn’t thought of that at all :slight_smile: . Granted, I wouldn’t be unhappy with a bit of a touch up to make her look a bit more like herself!

Well maybe it has been 20 years for you guys since you last saw them but not for me and many many others that love this game. I want it to stay as original as possible. I am ok with the changes they are doing because we were doing work arounds for those anyways (mules, switching toons looking for games etc…) This just isn’t any other game. It is the best ARPG of all time. I have been here since Day 1 of Diablo 1.

2 Likes

I didn’t say that it has been 20 years for me. Playing D2 right now actually haha… Just that the idea that they suggested about the heroes being 20 years older is interesting to me as well. Of course I want the game to be as similar to the original as possible. It’s the game that I love, and the franchise that I have also enjoyed since Diablo I. I already told you what they community manager said. :man_shrugging:

The amazon indeed looks like a man, she should be improved indeed.
For the others, I actually like them more than the original models.

4 Likes

I agree. if you think about remastering an old game. You don’t change anything about what is there. you just enhance it. it’s just like if when they recreated FF7 and they made cloud and the other characters look different, do you know how pissed everyone would have been? smart people for sticking to what it looked like before.

4 Likes

I also play D2 each Ladder. Please make the characters more to the original. The sorceress gained weight and the Barbarian does not look like he could compete at the Mr. Olympia anymore. Please make them as they were back then. Kind regards frim Austria

9 Likes

Simple reason is if they don’t do it, or it’s very likely that they will be attacked by the political correctness NGO and feminism groups and may never recover to live another day. In these groups’ opinions a strong woman can only be 300 pounds, with no feminine curvature at all and always hold a craft paper bagful of donuts, with a hellish stare to any of you as if you are judging her internal self of her external looks.

However I am seeing some of the extremes from both end of the rainbow. I don’t really care about the face as long as they are not ridiculously noticeable. However I don’t understand why people also questioning so much about why there needs to be a black dude paladin or assassin from Xian Sai.

I like pretty characters. It makes me think that I am threated with respect as a customer and they put some efforts into the art which Blizzard was always identified with. If we look at D2’s old models, they are actually not that much anatomically correct or let’s say averagely human. I like the changes they made in the anatomy but I also unlike the barb’s belly because there are humans who can have a buffed figure that fits the fantasy of pure muscle power (i.e. WWE wrestlers, bodybuilders etc., and even female bodybuilders can have crazy looking bodies), other than this potato chip eating myself in the mirror. I think reduction on breasts of amazon is acceptable but making her 75 yrs old Arnold is too extreme.

2 Likes

This is wonderful -)
https://preview.redd.it/5c3gf7q9cbj61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=fdcd43a5b02e416ce3fa7d29b71a0caeca5d438b

2 Likes

Not shallow at all. I have avoided class because the character is ugly af.
Amazon = Super Hot Blonde Bombshell
Assassin = Super Hot Pale Skin Brunette Bombshell
I hate this trend of not allowing women to be sexy and pretty anymore.
If I want to look at ugly women, I could just go to Walmart.
No thanks. Please use the redesigned amazon face model some other artist has created (saw that somewhere else).

8 Likes

Diablo 2 : Resurrected User Characters Remodeling [KOR]

Search this on youtube, A korean guy has done a great job with keeping the models they have and touching them up just a liiittle bit, Pretty interesting as he states he isnt very skilled with the program he is using.

Still id prefer they make them look like the original but this guy done a great job.

Absolutely. Here is my honest view on every remastered character.

Amazon - Looks old and has masculine facial features. Should be more feminine. I get the idea of mythical Amazons being manly, but there’s other ways to portray that like her stance, animations, or armor being sharper and more dominant looking.

Assassin - Manly body figure. She actually stands a bit taller and has wider shoulders(not the armor, but anatomical) than the Amazon that was meant to look manly. Her class should look swift and agile or in other words - not very built or tall. I have no problem with her being Asian, but let’s say that there are a lot of beautiful Asian women and she doesn’t really look like one of them.

Necromancer - Actually looks cool being grumpy and old. His face reminds me a bit of Jordan Peterson.

Barbarian - Looks okay, but needs a bit more bulk. When I try to remember how the D2 Barb looked like, I imagine Conan the Barbarian played by Arnold, but with shaved head.

Paladin - Looks good, but making him a bit younger like in the original would be even better.

Sorceress - Looks good, but could be a bit younger like in the original.

Druid - The “uncle hobo” look fits his archetype, but he looks too grumpy and tired.

That’s it. I want to end on a good note and say that if we leave the characters aside, the remaster looks very promising. Blizzard, don’t rush your beautiful developers too much and you will have a financial and PR success.

12 Likes

To be true to the original game all the character models need to be reexamined and even a few of the monsters (claw vipers aren’t right, the carvers are too tall, carver shaman not right either, and Andariel looks WAY different … just what I’ve seen so far). No it’s NOT shallow to say these are not a true remaster of the D2 characters… it’s a fact.
Do I want to look at “hot” female characters? Absolutely. Do I want a barbarian that looks like a tough as nails power lifter and not a soft body town drunk? Yeah I do. D2 is a FANASTY RPG and I want it to look like one!!!

12 Likes

How old is the barb in D3? >= 60? He’s got a lot of grey.

1 Like