Carfting Items for follower

I have been testing in the season 28 PTR and I have found that when I craft items for my follower they are pretty much have level 1 attributes, no matter what level my MC is. It might have something to do with the items have no level badge on the altar, but when I crafted items for my MC they had the proper level attributes. Also those crafted items could not be equipped on my follower. Is that a function of that badge on the altar or is it some sort of bug.

2 Likes

That is sort of hilarious.

Your follower does not benefit from the removal of level requirements. So if you craft items of a higher level than your follower, they cannot equip those items. Unfortunately, when you go to craft, (or look at dropped item info), everything shows a level 1 requirement.

You will be able to equip dropped items on your followers without any issues, as they still “read” at the appropriate level. However, you will need to figure out which craftible items are the appropriate level.

1 Like

Not being able to see the actual item level is a bad design decision or, at best, an unintended bug. Hopefully it’ll be fixed before we go live.

3 Likes

It feels like an oversite to me. For sure though, it needs to be fixed so items still show a level.

Not to start this whole thing over again, but you don’t need your follower to level to 70. In fact, they can mess up your damage at that stage of the game instead of improving it.

So don’t hire one until they are level 70.

Yes, I know folks like having their followers around, but you’ll be leveling to 70 faster than you’ve ever done it before this season, and so even items you pick up will be out leveled before you get one to replace it and their damage won’t be what you would expect to be regardless of seeing the item level or not.

It’s simply unnecessary to see the item level of an item, because you’ll be at 70 before you know it.

1 Like

Sweeping a bad design issue or a bug under the rug because you don’t believe people will notice if they play the way you think they should isn’t the answer. Fix the bug. Ever play HC? Maybe not. Some folks do. Some folks like to take their time and not rush to 70. Does that make them bad players? Fix the bug.

1 Like

If you’re activating the node and then not using level 70 equipment on your character, why activate the node.

That makes no sense. The point is, whether you play slow or not, you’re going to be outleveling any equipment you pick up off the ground before finding other equipment for your follower, thus it’s pointless to try to equip them with stuff you find from the ground.

They won’t be doing what you think they’ll be doing as far as damage or defense, because you’ll be outleveling the equipment you find.

I don’t know how to explain it any better than that, but if you simply want to equip as you go with stuff you pick up, then you don’t need that node activated and again, the not seeing level requirements won’t matter because you won’t have that node activated.

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

No, I’m trying to understand what you’re talking about.

But let me try again…

1. With the node activated, you’ll be using level 70 equipment on your character, yes?
  2. If you use level 70 equipment on your character, you can either run the normal Torment levels you normally would run or you can up the difficulty and level faster.
  3. If you choose to up to difficulty, then you’ll be outleveling the equipment you get off the ground.
    4)If you choose to run at lower difficulties then you don’t need that node that lowers the level requirement activated.

Is it any clearer now? I’m really trying to avoid what happened yesterday, here.

Help me understand what you’re intending to do and then I can determine whether you need the node or not.

Get the devs to fix a bug

It’s a bug that doesn’t need fixing though. It’s not a bug at all, the node does exactly what it says it does, removes the level requirement.

I can see it as a quality of life thing to see the equipment level, but I just don’t understand why you “need” that improvement.

You can get along perfectly well without it, seriously if you folks really believe you need it for some reason, reasons that I can’t see or make sense out of, then sure, letting you see what an items normal level requirement isn’t that big of deal. It could happen. It wouldn’t necessarily be bad thing if it did happen.

I’m just trying to say it isn’t necessary except for your inexplicable need for it to happen.

I am not however, trying to tell you how to level, what to do with your character, or anything like that.

I’m not out to hurt anyone’s feelings, if you want it, I hope you get it, but I’m trying to lay out that if you don’t it’s not the end of the world.

This post is specifically about followers, and how the the node does not effect them; they still need equipment for their levels. More precisely, how it is difficult to know which items they can use, since all items show a level 1 requirement. You either have to know the specific level of each crafted item, or craft items until you find one that works.

Suggesting that players just not use the follower is not a “fix”; it is a workaround; a workaround that may not be acceptable for some players. Personally as an SSF HC player, I like to have my follower for “reasons”. I normally don’t craft items for my follower, choosing to equip them with drops, but I can see the frustration, and agree it needs to be fixed if possible.

Yes, of course, but also knowing you don’t need your follower, is important. If you use a follower because you like to, that’s fine. More power to you. That’s a good thing. But doing something you like to do that’s not completely necessary, while fun, can be counter productive.

Anyway, showing the item level, would have no effect on me and as such, I really don’t have a dog in this fight. If it helps you, I hope you get it, seriously.

I’m sorry for saying anything that gave the impression that I don’t care about your needs as a player. I should have been more understanding of this problem.

1 Like

Let me give you a “for instance”.

I wanted to upgrade a weapon in order to get a legendary one that was not included in the PTR packs. I crafted 10 weapons which I then took to the cube. The cube rejected the weapons I selected for upgrade, but no specific reason was given for the rejection. Before I reported the “error”, I attempted to replicate the problem; but, this time, it worked! I went back to testing the PTR.

It took me almost a day to figure out that I must have crafted a lower level version of the weapon in my initial try.

A mistake like that can happen, I concede that, but folks were talking about picking stuff up off the ground while leveling to equip their followers and what not which is what I was responding to.

I will admit I didn’t think of something like that happening but that’s because I leveled Haedrig up as soon as I could and only then started crafting from him. Because at maximum level is when level 70 items appear in his list and you want to level with a 70 item if you have that node activated.

But again, I don’t really have a dog in this fight. If you folks think you need it or in a case like happened to you, not having it resulted in a day’s worth of confusion, then of course you should have it.

I really shouldn’t have enterred this thread to tell people how to play but in my defense, I honestly thought I was helping.

Edit:

But there are a couple of threads in General Discussion that talk about leveling up with some tips that could make it quicker for you and how you might get gold to Level Up Haedrig to level him up to get that 70 weapon to complete your leveling a little quicker and what not.

Not all of it is useful, because some of it talks up grouping and strategies for that but there is useful information for solo players too. If you’re interested in something like that, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to give it a gander. It will probably help you a lot more than I did in this thread.

But if you don’t want to do that on account you guys have ways you enjoy leveling up and don’t need advice telling you how to enjoy yourself, I understand.

Just thought I’d mention it.

First of all, let me compliment you on your tone of response. It’s refreshing to have a polite discussion on these forums.

As luck would have it, last night I came across another instance where the “hiding” of an item’s true level became a nuisance:

I was leveling a new character in the game. On one run, during which I advanced from level 67 to 70, I picked up multiple yellow rings. Since I was playing DH, I needed to get an Elusive Ring, so I went to the cube for an upgrade. Because of the Game display of “Level 1” for all items after you open that altar node, I could not distinguish which rings I found after I hit Level 70, and which rings I found at a lower level.

This is one case where the developers, trying to be helpful, actually created a nuisance in the game. I do not see any advantage to the player of having the items show a “Level 1” attribute.

1 Like

Oh stop it…lol. My heads going to get heavy if you keep talking like that. lol

But seriously, I’m not always this way. I’m trying to change that though. And it’s appreciated that it is noticeable. Thank you so much.

There was a thread like this created by one of the people that posted here and her and I got in a little tussle. After that is when I decided to change my tone. Being antagonistic didn’t get me far, as they say.

So again, I appreciate that changing my tone is noticeable and appreciated.