Captain Crimson Bone Spear on Leaderboard

I seen some top Leaderboard (NA) using Captain Crimson (CC3). For CC3 to benefit, you must have decent CDR (Damage), or RCR (toughness), but spacing either of CDR & RCR means sacrificing other stats. Anyone work out when or what scenario it is beneficial to go CC3?

I want to find more data before I spend precious bounty mats on CC3.

The first set bonus already gives you 20% of each stat.

If you have decent CDR and resource reduction, you get much more damage and damage reduction with the set as well as what Loonavercity said. With 2 pieces you also get 6,000 life per second. For a squishy Necro it’s a decent trade-off.
You can always get more mats easily enough.

Yes, I know the bonus, but you have to give up an armor(belt) slot & a ring slot.

I just looked at the Asia & Europe leaderboard (Which are 5 GR higher than NA), it seems the toppies are still using the full Mas set…

Maybe things will change as we go more into the season & someone find the most optimised combos

You give up next to nothing. The only rings a necro will ever need are Krysbin’s and convention. You only lose a bit of DR when not at full essence, but that doesn’t matter because of monk Shields and barb buffs. Just stack a load if area damage. You’re only there to blow up the trash.

the devour ressource cost reduction rune adds to CC3s bonus.

And bloodrush with the rune that leaves a corpse, you can keep up this bonus quite easily.

Not sure about the offensive options

1 Like

For solo play, Brigg’s Wrath is useful since you don’t have other team members to group up enemies. Plus the DR from Dayntee’s when applying a curse to group up those same enemies.

1 Like

Options are always good, I think I will try some different setups for fun.

Well, obviously. The barb fits that role in groups, though. People are using the crimson set in 4 man 150 clears. I assumed that was what we’re talking about since I haven’t seen any solo players pushing with it.

There are several GR130+ solo clears with CC3.

It’s honestly a ‘something is better than nothing’ gap fill. Obviously Aughild’s would have been the superior choice, but they had to go ahead and make the Bone Spear modifier on the bracer slot, taking Aughild’s out of the equation.

Obviously with 4 cube slots you could use Aughild’s still sure, but you’d be losing too much from taking out other superior choices. Even with minimum CDR you’d still get a 1.3x modifier which is better than any other choices.

With the 4th cube slot, pretty much any set build is going to be optimal with 2+ sets.

CC3 gives 20% CDR and RCR, and directly turns CDR into a solid damage stat.

1 Like

I’ve been trying it a few runs. The obvious result is that is had a lot of resource cost reduction so you can stand on the bonespear button. It’s like having a channeling pylon the whole time.

1 Like

I tried this as well. There are a few differences in how it plays, but the major benefit is longevity. With that much RCR, you can take bigger hits and you can afford to be a little more “spendy” with your attacks, as mentioned. I ended up giving up Crimson in favor of wearing the full Masquerade set, cubing Haunted Visions, and taking a fifth passive from Hellfire Amulet. That’s not my final decision, because I don’t even have augments yet, but it seems to work out.

I’m not just going with the first build I see, and I’m not going to copy others. I’m trying everything I can think of and testing it in-game, to see if a given setup has any tangible advantage over others. For all I know, I could go back to Crimson.

For those curious, I was able to clear 107 a while ago. I’m over P900 now, but I was maybe mid-800s when I did it. Nothing stellar, but I expect that number to improve as I dial it in.

Are they using Land of the Dead/Invigorate with the CC3?

Just checked - no they are not. It would probably take off too much damage to rank very high on the leaderboards. Sorry for the red herring…

That combination apparently gives you complete invulnerability. No resource costs are implemented as 100% RCR which is turned into 100% DR by CC3.

Using LotD with the rune Invigoration gives you 100% essence as long as LotD is up, with Crimson 100% means you take zero damage. If you couple this with a diamond in the helm and cube Leoric’s Crown you have better damage. Using LotD during RG fights and some elites makes dying impossible (as long as LotD is up) plus the fact you have continuous essence. Only issue with LotD is the skill spot you have to give up. You could also use rings and items to lower your cooldowns too, but you have to watch the damage trade-off.

Diamond in helm-12.5%
Leorics Crown in cube-12.5%
Crimson set -20%
Item Percentage-?%

RcR Don’T add to this, Masq has a very high damage reduction with its set, use over methods to get more damage reduction than using valuable item rolls…

I’ve tried the Crimson build on a non season hero but I can’t seem to get anywhere near a decent uptime on Land of the Dead.

You have to sacrifice too much damage roll on items in order to kept LotD up. Yes you can get more damage from cooldown, because of Crimsons, but it does not equal lost crit rolls and AD. I tested it using ever item possible and rune to get the cooldown down to reasonable point to kept LotD up.
Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac
Voracious :for damage reduction
Leoric’s Crown : with a diamond in helm and the crown cubed.
Then rolling cooldown on all your items, best you will get, maybe around 75%.
Its not worth it, you will lose too much damage from lost crit chance, crit damage and AD.
So its better not to roll all that cooldown and use LotD for RG fights and such, but like I said you also have a slot being used only for boss fights, so there is a trade off.

Rank 1 Clear EU GRift 149

Nop Rank 1 Clear EU 150 :slight_smile: