Can't damage mobs in GR?

Let me start this off with I have 2 DH. One with 6 piece GoD strafe build and 1 with UH Multishot build. For some reason I can’t do any damage to mobs upon entering a greater rift with the Strafe build. I literally do no damage and I’ve only tried up to GR 65 with him. My multishot build is doing GR 70’s with no issue. I am fairly new but this really doesn’t seem right. Am I doing something wrong ? I would think mobs wouldn’t be immune to damage at gr 65.

Did you build momentum up before strafing?

(2) Set:
Gain 4 seconds of Momentum when attacking with a Primary skill, at a maximum duration of 20 seconds. Your Primary skills deal 10% increased damage per second of Momentum.

3 Likes

Even with zero momentum stacks one should be able to deal some damage. The most important part is to manually fire a primary at least once so that Strafe can then autofire the primaries.

The OP’s GoD build however does lack many critical multipliers so the damage is still quite poor.

3 Likes

It is not, it’s been a very long time issue that the RoRG doesn’t show up in the profile. But if you check the active set bonuses on his profile, they’re fully active. That means RoRG is selected in the cube.

1 Like

It looks to me like they have the Ring of Royal Grandeur selected in Kanai’s Cube.

You can confirm this by hovering over one of their GoD pieces. When the tooltip appears, it will show that they have the 6-piece GoD Bonus active.

(@Kirottu beat me to the post).

This issue is most likely what @Corn and @Kirottu mentions above.

Edit:

They also have a poor Dawn equipped, as well as a Dawn in Kanai’s Cube. This is not only inefficient, but it is a waste of a Weapon Slot.

sadly I havent found anything to replace that dawn with yet. I know its what I have cubed as well. I don’t have much in the cube atm since I only started playing again a week ago. I’m just not understanding why I can’t even damage the mobs upon entering a GR. I’m not doing super high GRs and with my gear I should be able to do the GR 65 with ease I figure. Like I said earlier. My Multishot DH goes through GR 65 like butter but my Strafe DH can’t even damage them?

Yikes! Your builds are, quite honestly, a bit of a mess. But hey, we all have to start somewhere.

First off, before you do anything else, you need to go into the game options and enable Elective Mode. That will give you more freedom in choosing your active skills. As it is, Rapid Fire and Caltrops are basically useless, and are just taking up skill slots.

Second, cube powers don’t stack with equipped items. You have a Dawn in the cube as well as equipped on your GoD build. As a result, the equipped Dawn takes precedence. So not only are you not taking advantage of the weapon slot in the cube, you are stuck with a low Vengeance cooldown. You are far better off equipping another hand crossbow, or simply using the other bow as your main weapon and equipping a quiver.

Speaking of cube powers, the Yan pants are not the best power to use. It’s not bad, but you would be better off, for example if you cubed the Leoric Crown you are wearing, since that also has a very low legendary power value.

Third, GoD is a set that works with your primary skills, in your case Hungering Arrow. That is basically your main damage source, so you want items that boost primary skills. Rapid fire is useless in this case. Same for Strafe. It does next to no damage, and is only utilized for movement, damage reduction, and to fire off your primary skill. So you need to look for items that boost primary skills, like the Hunter’s Wrath belt and Depth Diggers pants, and items that boost particular primary skills such as 9th Cirri quiver that boosts Hungering Arrow or Emimei’s Duffel quiver and Leonine bow that boosts bolas, etc. However, the 9th Cirri satchel gives the biggest single boost of a primary skill, up to 600%, and that is why everyone uses that item. If you find one, use it, but if you haven’t and you come across one of the other items, you can use that and switch your primary skill accordingly until you find that quiver.

Fourth, you’re not using legendary gems. Only one of your pieces of jewelry is equipped with a gem, and it is a useless one. You want to use a Simplicity’s Strength since that boosts primary skills, and your 2nd and 3rd choices can be something like BotT and Taeguk, or even a defensive gem if you have trouble staying alive.

Gameplay wise, GoD basically requires you to build up your Momentum by manually firing your primary skill, then maintain it by occasionally firing your primary skill while strafing. So basically, you shoot off a bunch of hungering arrows to get your Momentum stacks to 20, then start strafing toward the enemy, occasionally manually firing off a hungering arrow every few seconds to maintain the stack of momentum and to help replenish your Hatred.

There are lots of other issues, but that hopefully gets you going with your GoD build.

3 Likes

thank you for the explanation. Took your advice and swapped out some gear and gems. Making a big difference so far. I’ll let you know how it goes with GRs.

1 Like

If I’m tinkering with a build and don’t know how strong it is, I generally don’t jump into a GR, and instead test things out in the regular gameplay first. For no reason in particular, my go-to zone is Fields of Misery, maybe because it’s kind of dense, or maybe just for consistenty.

1. I start a new game with the level I think is close, or maybe a little too high. If you were doing to try GR 65, I’d probably go with Torment 16 to set the baseline.

2. Run around for a minute trying to kill things. If I get killed immediately or can’t do much damage, drop the difficulty level a couple of steps and repeat.

3. When I’m zipping around blowing stuff away with ease, note the Torment level, then go back and use the obelisk to figure out what GR that’s roughly equivalent to.

Better than wasting the keys only to find out something’s off.

You have gotten good advice on the build from the others, too, and that seems like it’s already helping.

1 Like

yes , it was a huge help. I was able to run GR 75 with little to no issues so far. Ty all for your advice.

1 Like