Called It: Fun Police Cry for DH Nerfs

I will buy and play d4 if only for the lore and story and nothing more. I absolutely love the story behind the Diablo franchise. After clearing the story continuing to play will be dependent on the game play.

Couldn’t agree more. That’s one of the reasons I almost never buy a game when it first releases, and I never pre-order or buy Season Passes, or anything like that. If I thought that game company employees were going to get bigger cuts (and admittedly, some do–just far, far too few), I might be inclined to participate more in the “freemium” economies. But when I see what Kotick gets as base pay, and then see what his bonuses are on top of that, all while 800+ employees are laid off? Nah. I’m not going to give Blizzard another dime.

1 Like

I recently took up Guild Wars 2 again, and wasn’t that like learning to walk again lol

I’ll probably take a look at D4, if it ever comes out.

I’m in the same boat as you - as it currently stands, I have no interest in Diablo 4. I accept that we’re in very early days and that the information Blizzard can release on D4 is rather sparse, but so far nothing that I’ve heard, read, or seen is particularly grabbing me. Perhaps this will change as the game gets closer to a release date, perhaps not. I’m sure D4 will do exceptionally well regardless, and I sincerely hope that it delivers for the folks who are eagerly awaiting its release.

I know this is a mighty broad statement to make but I’m finding myself less and less enthused about the current direction the game industry is moving overall. Loot boxes, MTX, season passes, breaking up what should be a complete gaming experience into smaller and smaller chunks that get drip-fed to you over a series of months and years to keep players coming back for more (and spending more money)… it’s tiresome. Even if I by-and-large manage to keep myself from opening my wallet every time a shiny new pet or weapon skin in a game I otherwise like is released, being bombarded with this stuff all the time tends to either sour my overall enjoyment of the game, or just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It’s so pervasive! I play games to escape the capitalist hellscape I’m living in, not get further enmeshed in it :rofl:

3 Likes

My plan is to buy D4 when it comes available. In terms of entertainment per D3 hours played relative to game cost, it is pennies per hour.

Personally, I invest time on the forum to advocate for my perception of more “fun” in the game, with the knowledge that enhanced D3 enjoyment likely means more money for Blizzard. You also advocate for your ideas on D3 fun, as illustrated by your barbarian guides, the barbarian buff proposal, and frequent posts.

1. “More fun” in Blizzard games most likely results in increased current and future sales. For example, if players enjoy D3 more, there will be more people who purchase D4 (the absolute extent is unknown).
  2. “More fun” in Blizzard games most likely results in increased Monthly Active Users (MAU) and player engagement (i.e. time spent in game). For example, if players enjoy D3 more, the D3 login frequency will increase with longer game sessions (the absolute extent is unknown).
  3. Sales, MAU, and player engagement are reported in Blizzard’s quarterly investor reports.
2 Likes

Abso :clap:t6: fuggin’ :clap:t6: lutely :clap:t6:

Couldn’t agree more. All the DLC and microtransaction nonsense just reminds me how greedy and awful these game publishers have gotten, especially when you hear stories about how the developers fought, and lost, to keep those kind of elements out of the finished product. Capitalism gonna capitalism, you know?

In that regard, D3 is actually a remarkable success story. It launched with the AH/RMAH, but Blizzard clearly saw that it was throttling the game (and the fact that they were hemorrhaging players didn’t hurt), so they made the tough call and axed it–and potential transaction income. I remember seeing the game director at the time–Mosquiera, I believe?–talk about it in a video and thinking, “Wow! Good call, Blizzard! You did something really right!”

And a year or so after that, they launched Overwatch.

:rofl:

Ah, well. One step forward, twenty steps back.

Recently, I purchased Carrion. Love it so far. Wish it had some kind of in-game map, but it’s terrific fun with no BS. I also got Far Cry 5 on a Steam sale and it’s . . . terrible. The story is absolute gibberish, and the game constantly interrupts you to show you a cinematic, or put you into inescapable story segments, or you’re getting attacked, non-stop, by a turkey or a bear or some other hostile wildlife, too numerous by far, that want to take you to snap city, and the whole experience is jarring. Everything is so binary and shallow.

Crazed fundamentalist cult? Just insert a bad guy who quotes Revelations non-stop.

Ugh.

2 Likes

That had a lot to do with incoming US legislation that meant they would have been responsible for reporting all transactions / taxation required upon then, under penalty of law suits. They axed the RMAH because they didn’t want the overhead of doing this, and the reason for the legislation was that money was being laundered through the RMAHs. The AHs were cut a couple of weeks before the new legislation came in. It was purely a business decision, about reducing legal liability / overheads, nothing to do with players.

2 Likes

Precisely this. It was due to FinCEN. FinCen announced changes the rules on virtual currency on March 18, 2013. The rules went into effect 1 year later. The last day of the auction house was March 18, 2014.

1 Like

Unfortunately all these comments/debates/discussions/arguments are not going to end.

Even after the “balance” patch, even if they manage to get good intra-class balance (which they won’t), even if they manage to get classes balanced to within 2-3 GRs of each other (which they won’t), hell, even 5 GRs of each other (which they won’t), it won’t last anyway.

Because the players are smarter than the Devs. The players are better at the game than the Devs.

Even if they managed “balance”, they are balancing on what we are using now. Eventually some players will get creative and find ways to change builds and make them better and stronger than they are now.

Then will start the same arguments about nerfing that build, buffing every other build, leaving things as they are, and of course the random useless table with zero context or relevance.

People spend way too much time worrying about x class being able to do x GR. Which is ironic when they are basically zero chance of ever doing it themselves.

The game is what it is. It’s not about to magically change. Enjoy it, and play what we’ve got. Or don’t enjoy it, and find something else to move on to.

1 Like

Clever you huh … Now read everything in full context … I don’t look confused, but you need to read the whole context first, you only separated a piece from my post, actually a mental example where I tried to explain a thought.

I thought it was a mental example too, darn it, you are right! :exploding_head:
:yin_yang:

by the way …
if you look at how 150 is cleared, you will hardly find a DH here. I rarely see IMPALE here. not even zDH is represented here … So anyone who previously wanted NERFs for GoD will hopefully rethink their thinking? and maybe even improve his intelect?
because set and skills need BUFF for gameplay. game is still in the stone age. map is garbage and gives nerly zero info, ugly red bars over mobs I can no longer see, skills have to be kept brainless on cd and even senselessly pressed every second. there are already very good topics about this, which of course are not implemented.
… or is it still not clear? GoD set is not good for trash or boss.

everyone who has played wow since the beginning knows how bad it was. addons from the players made it playable. devs here understood that quickly and simply stole ideas from the modders and developed own ugly addons? (great tips for our one d3 dev, not?)
by the way: hello d4 trash- devs have still not learned anything and will not ?!

1 Like

DH is not meta for non-season 4 player groups. In terms of buffing more shadow/impale build, this thread in the PTR feedback forum made a request for a more substantial buff where the numbers clearly demonstrated the need.

However, DH GoD build’s solo power rivals that of pre-nerf crusaders and witch doctors. This is true at the top end of the leaderboard and for lower paragon players that are clearing higher GR tiers than the other classes.

See:

and

http://ranks.zeroempathy.org/e13

Necro locked that spot in Trash King 4 man, 3man, 2man. IMO of course
Last seasons comp still good and may be still the best.
DH is great for speeds but unfortunately Rats still king for that but great that there’s some sort of options that is kinda close?
DH solo is pretty fun but let’s be honest here, it’s a Barb without a spear.

2 Likes

And they’re doing it again, this time over our most recent buff proposal.

I’m not surprised to see the same ol’ names on the bill, but this time the arguments are . . . well, on par with a partially deflated football.

1 Like

They’ve still only got the same old argument. Nothing to back it up, and little to no understanding of how the build works. And definitely none about how it used to work.

I nearly snorted at the comment about Ww/Rend being the strongest build in the game…umm…what? 4(?) classes have now cleared 150 solo, and Barb never has, yet somehow Barbs are still the OP build? :man_facepalming:t3:

The arguments are actually getting worse.

3 Likes

I’ve played a little with WW/Rend. Although I do not believe I went in-depth with it far enough to make an intelligent argument for or against any changes to the build, my personal opinion about the experience I have had is that it is most definitely not the strongest build I have experienced.

If we want to talk about “strong”, let’s talk about PoJ Tempest Rush. I’ve already surpassed my last season’s ranking, which I had to use multiple cubed weapons to get. Last I checked I’m 841 on PS4 global rankings. It’s getting harder for me to slog through it, but it’s easy for me to believe I can lower that number. I never got anywhere near that power level with WW/Rend.

I’ll put it this way…using PoJ, I was clearing 100s solo, no augments, 3 ancient items, substandard gems, etc, etc. Not advocating nerfs whatsoever…just raising a question about why some builds feel easy and natural while others feel like digging through bedrock with a plastic spork.

The top clear of era 13 solo monk is GR 145. Wizards are the lowest at GR 143. Monks are the second lowest of all classes.
See:
http://ranks.zeroempathy.org/e13

In addition, this difference in monk power relative to other classes is seen at lower paragon levels.
See:
https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/i1r8k3/paragon_for_gr_clear/

Yeah, I just responded with something similar. That old argument of theirs is tired and I’m not even listening to it.

Yeah. I mean, when you’re hot for nerfs the way some folk are, the goal posts don’t just shift. They uproot, go to concessions, and get drunk before they start posting.

2 Likes

When you get the 6 piece and the BK swords then collect your Ambo’s and Lamentation, the build does become amazingly quick…up to a point. It hits a wall very fast, and then you need to completely change the way you play, the skills you use, and the maps you attempt.

I laugh when people say Whirl/Rend is a one button build, because it’s clear they’ve never played it past a certain point.

I seen people boasting they were clearing 125 with GoD early in season without augments, or even an ancient weapon. Try that with Whirl/Rend, most players will get destroyed.

And stumble back onto the field, falling over the fence, spinning around on all axis…all the while yelling at the referees/umpires that they are wrong.

2 Likes