Buying D3 used....?

Earlier I was on ebay looking at stuff (treasure goblin merch) and in the associated ads were people selling Diablo 3 (and earlier versions) used.

My wife and I got to talking about it - we’ve been playing Diablo since the first one was released… When you buy the physical box new, you get a code for a new battle.net account. What happens for the people who buy it used? Are they supposed to get access to the account of the person who they’re buying it from? What if it’s from Goodwill or something? How’s that work?

The code can be redeemed once only. It is bounded to the Battle net account permanently. It cannot be transfer to other account normally.

I don’t recommend buying from eBay, too risky.

Consider buying digital copy from Blizzard’s e-shop. Up to 50% discount when there is a promotion sale. Unfortunately, don’t know when next sale will be.

We’re not in the market for it since we’ve had our Blizzard accounts for literally over twenty years (we were part of the D2 Beta back in May 2000). We are just wondering about the logistics on how it would work if someone bought a used physical game, on whether they’re getting scammed (intentionally or unintentionally) because to play D3 they’d need a battle.net account. I’m thinking that if they buy the physical box, books, and disc(s), they’d still have to pay money to Blizzard for a battle.net account in order to play.

The code is the game. It is the only thing needed to play the game. Used code is useless.

Some people like to collect the boxes and printed components.

Hey there,

If the seller on Ebay says the box is unopened or the code is unclaimed, that should be fine. Just keep in mind that Blizzard cannot support purchases through third party vendors. Any problems with the purchase would need to be discussed with Ebay or the Seller directly.

All code claims to Battle.net are permanent. Codes are not transferable once claimed. Account selling/sharing is prohibited by the EULA. If either of these are being advertised it may not be a safe transaction as many of those are scams.

Keep in mind that many legitimate vendors do still have and sell physical box copies of these games. Just be sure to check with the vendor that the box is new/unused prior to purchasing. Once again please refer to the vendor if there is any problems with the box copy. <3

In any case, the digital purchase option is the fastest/easiest but ultimately the decision is yours. If there’s anything else you might need just let us know.

Thanks for playing and enjoy the games!