Build freedom with new set?

Hi there.

In some thread, people, including myself, were missing playing some builds we love because they are not viable anymore. Especially not for high gr.

So. How about getting total build diversity by introducing a new generic set or updating blackthorn?

The set should grant some toughness for surviving in high gr.
But should foremost boost any damage skill a player wishes to use. The set should work on any class.

So we can use any (damage do / dps) build we would want.

In order to prevent overpowering, individual skill damage boost legendaries should not work with this set.

In fact, the set should ensure every damage skill gets same base damage and boost that. Naturally, main stat, cc, cd etc should increase the damage too, as it does now.

For example:
2 set bonus:
Gain 50% damage reduction.
Gain the first rune of each equipped skill as a bonus. (so you can pick a second one).
Each skill that does damage, does the same amount base damage. (Will be increased by main stat, cc, cd etc). Individual skill damage bonusses no longer count.

3 set bonus
Gain 100% armor (doubles armor)
Gain first 3 runes of each equipped skill.
After using a damage skill, all damage skills do 300% damage for 10 seconds.

6 set bonus
Gain 100% all resistance. (doubles ar)
Gain all runes for each equipped skill
Each damage skill’s damage is increased by (insert large number, viable for high gr).

Key here is to make each and every build we love to play viable for high gr.
Balance the set such that it competes with the current top builds, but is not the obvious choice pushing wise.

There are plenty of fun legendaries that make gameplay interesting or fun while not adding to actual damage / dps.

People could even use yellows… lol…

Not Vialel is all relative.

Can you play the set “YES”
Is the Set Bugged “NO”
Can every set GR150 Solo “No”
Does every set have to be as powerful as each other “NO” Different Sets Cap out at different difficulties

Its your own need to push higher and higher then a set is designed to do. This doesnt mean theres anything remotely wrong with the set its just happens to cap out at around GR70 for example. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Every month there’s always a few posts about this, including myself who has posted about how terrible the balance is in this game. And every season they “attempt” to balance only a few items/builds. It amazes me how there’s so many suggestions to improve the game by the community and blizzard just puts in little to no effort.

It’s liike asking for a super supreme pizza with all the toppings you want, but your given a frozen pizza bagel to heat in the microwave. I really hope next season we see better balance for a lot of items/buillds.

Isn’t this set asking for what LoN and Load does already? Both add on a big damage multiplier.

Well, almost half the sets are relatively free to build, you need 2-3 abilities then the rest are amplified by them (take Immortal King for example). But there’ll always be a way to choose the remain 3-4 abilities, equipments, Kanai Cube passives and stats which is more efficient than other choices, which is called META.
If you want a set which simply provides global damage boost and damage reduction, there’s already one, Legacy of Nightmares/ Legacy of Dream builds, but as I mentioned above, META.

Most classes already sort of have a set like this.

Monk - Inna (Requires Mystic Ally)
DH - Nat’s (Requires RoV)
Barb - IK (Requires WotB/Ancients)
Crus - Akkhan’s (Requires AC)
Wiz - Tal’s (Requires 4 different elements)
Necro - Inarius (Requires Bone Armour/Melee)
WD - No dice… all sets are for specific skills.

There is also the generic LoD and LoN if you want complete control over your build’s skills.

Problem is… There aren’t enough supporting legendaries for the under used skills. That’s all we need to get the variety you are looking for. The rest is there.

2 Likes

I actually think that’s a deliberate design decision.

They know that perfect balance is impossible, and one build will always be a little stronger than the rest, no matter how close they get it. And people will tend to play that build.

So rather than trying to get it close but having people still gravitate towards a single build anyway, they actually deliberately make some builds a little stronger than others to “guide” people into playing those builds. But they don’t want the same build always on top, because then the game might get a bit stale.

So periodically they’ll rotate them out by buffing another build to put it on top for a while.

Ever increasing power creep is also likely a deliberate design decision. They don’t want people being forever stuck at GR120 solo, so every once and while they’ll bump it up a bit. While some of us can see past the numbers and understand that doing the same thing in GR130 vs. GR120 really isn’t any different except for bigger numbers, a lot of people don’t see it that way. They’ll be getting bored with capping out at GR120 for months and months, and then all of a sudden they can clear GR125 or GR130 and they think they are stronger and the game is fun again! Except that only lasts a little while, and then the power has to creep again.

Matthew has posted a few times about them having deliberate targets at different paragon levels for different builds. If we read between the lines a bit there, if their targets are accurate that means they probably intend for some builds to be stronger than others. Each new set/revisited build is actually supposed to be just that little bit stronger, so that people feel excited about playing it. And as a result, the power creeps.

Like it or not, I think both the infinite power creep and ‘Flavour of the Month’ builds are deliberate design decisions. They are intended to keep the game “fresher” for longer, because for most people with human emotions, buffs and bigger numbers simply feel more fun on some basic level.

1 Like

I never understood this. All of the original 5 classes have had their vanilla set turned into a ‘buff all skills’ set. And even the two latter classes have a set like this too.

For WD, the Zuni set got turned into a ‘buff pets only’ set for some reason and only when hit by spenders too! The spender only requirement makes the set gumby to play.

I thought it would have been pretty obvious in how they could have supported all skills with Zuni and smoothed out the gameplay. The 6pc should be either:

• Enemies hit by your Mana spenders or signature skills take 15,000% increased damage from your pets for 8 seconds and enemies hit by your pets increase your damage by X% for 8 seconds.

OR

• Enemies hit by your Mana spenders or signature skills take 15,000% increased damage from your pets for 8 seconds and every pet you have active increases your damage by X%.

I prefer the first one. The second would make all Zuni builds required the Garg ring, all the passives that increase the number of dogs you have, on top of maximum fetishes.

This would open up all WD attack skills for use. Some will still be more powerful than others until those skills have some decent support legs but it would make Zuni so much more enjoyable to gear for.

2 Likes

I got the feeling what is being suggested is a generic set that gives high damage reduction to all character classes but negates legendary affixes that reduce damage and high damage multiplier to any skills used but negates legendary affixes that increase damage. Such a set would give a uniform damage increase to every skill for every class and nearly equal damage reduction percentage to all builds. The generic set would have to give high enough damage reduction and high enough damage increase to be able to run high GRs.

The problem is that base damage of all skills is not uniform. Players would just use skills like blessed shield where an item removes the resource cost and or a skill where an affix eliminates/reduces the resource cost and/or cool down of secondary skills.

It’s an interesting idea. Maybe if the set had a higher damage increase for primary skills it might be interesting to play with.

AKA - God-mode set. You’re reducing all damage by 50% 3 times. A lot of builds would be broken with all runes.

I agree that there needs to be some balancing but as was pointed out, each class has this ‘general’ set option, + LoD/LoN. What needs to be balanced are the Legendary powers, so that these general sets can actually fully allow a lot more build viability to underused abilities.

Look at all the ‘RoS’ given abilities that are basically not used or completely unsupported except for some gimmick or mediocre utility. A lot can be done but they should have addressed that back when they were starting to make various Legendaries crazy good.

Agreed, no idea why the poor WD missed out.

LoN/LoD supports a few cool builds, but that holds true for all the other classes too. So still a kick to the proverbial nuts for WD fans.

I would definitely prefer either direction of your suggestions, it would open up a little more variety for them, and most likely eclipse the LoD/N builds currently popular… which unfortunately brings us back to… we need more supporting legendaries for the under-used skills.

Still, I think Zuni needs something like this, even just for fairness sake if nothing else.

2 Likes