Blizzard take notes from GGG

When it comes to build Blizzard should take notes from GGG.

In D3 there’s pretty much no reason to build your paragon away from straight dps. In PoE you pretty much have to take a fair amount of defenses in your build since there’s a lot of stuff that can one shot you otherwise. I’m not talking about abilities, but passives like paragon and PoE’s entire advancement is built around passives.

Also, do something about end game bosses. They’re way to easy in D3 when you have the entire map to fight them on. PoE does boss fights way better where you’re placed in a confined area with them and there’s a lot of stuff to manually dodge.

Anyways, here’s hoping D4 is a great improvement over D3.

7 Likes

PoE fanboy in the house. Some people want D4 to be like PoE others want it to be like D2. I want it to be D4.

19 Likes

Well any developer should be taking notes from other games in the genre that they’re making. Both notes on what works, and what doesn’t work.

That said I can’t say as I think PoE’s skill/passive system is designed that well for a Diablo game. It’s about 1 step away from true classless which offers a high degree of customizability, but hurts overall class fantasy.

I would prefer for my Sorceress to feel like a Sorceress because I can do things that no other class can do.

7 Likes

D4 should definitely try to make sure defensive build choices are both needed and useful. A big failure in D3.
A major part of the solution is having more significant death penalties/survival bonuses.
The solution should not be to have lots of oneshotting enemies. That only leads to bad combat.

Another part of the solution is to drastically reduce how much the players can heal. Both PoE and D3 failed quite hard there.

D3 bosses are very much placed in confined areas. Some people disliked that a lot in D3. Though I agree it is better.
Now, since D3 bosses die in a few seconds, they dont really matter either way.

1 Like

They’ve literally turned the Diablo barbarian into the PoE Marauder, so yeah, they are already copying PoE. This will push the D2 player base further away from the Diablo franchise.

PoE copied D2.

Blizzard needs to stop looking at other games outside of the franchise and focus on expanding and improve on what already exists, what already works with their games. Copying other franchises is a company that is always falling behind. What PoE did right was to mimic things that work in D2 and then grew up organically from there, where as Blizzard destroyed what worked with D2 and then continued to make a subpar game that has never been able to keep up with PoE nor D2.

1 Like

I heard so many times about why Blizzard can’t be more like this and that. Story doesn’t end well or beneficial for any parties because Blizzard is Blizzard and other companies are other companies.

ARPG design is already pretty limited, they don’t have to take notes on anything. They have pretty talented game designers who got to that position at top marks graduation and with enough knowledge to get the job. Please bear in mind, designers, directors and developers do NOT get paid to copy cat other games. A game design may not look like a solid piece, but it consist of small jigsaws that fit each other. A game feature you see on one game might not fit into another even if sub-genres match.
If you were to be sitting at their chair and openly copy other games, you wouldn’t stand at that position for long. Either game will flop because it’s not a solid design or you’d get fired silently, perhaps both. ARPGs are pretty limited at design and most of the time they “adapt” different features for their game to fit in to their own view, elements may feel absent at first glance but it’s there. It can appear minimalistic, different but small features always added to push or support, one of the main aspects of the game. Underlying reasons can be about sustainability, efficiency, diversion and server performance.

On this remark, OP got all wrong too. Paragon level is not entirely about straight dps as each stat still grants damage mitigation to some degree. While this doesn’t seem much, logarithmic growth still helps you to diminish some of the randomization you face at high tier GRs. It may not seem that way, because damage you incur is easily negated at average farming difficulties.
As for boss fights, it doesn’t matter if you have entire map to your service in D3. You’re fighting Rift Guardians in a time trial mode that can endure trillions dps output and fill entire rooms with their area denial attacks. To note, D3 reached that point after so much power creep and neglecting Campaign mode.

Not entirely sure Blizzard is Blizzard these days :smiley:

5 Likes

Blizz take notes from Diablo 2.
Specifically, how zoomed out that camera is on the char, how the chars run fast natively without movement skills on cooldown, don’t bounce, don’t hop, move slow, have walk/run, and have no circular minimap in the upper corner that we end up staring at to find out where to go instead of exploring.

Things like that, and another 100.

Love, like everyone.

1 Like

I would prefer good old D1 hit recovery. If your armor/defence is bad - you have problems dealing with enemies. They won’t kill you in 1 second - but will stunlock you too often (which sometimes can be very dangerous and lethal), and so you ll have big problem going ahead. Throwing corpses at enemies tactics won’t work. I think this is the best gameplay decision when balancing [boring] glasscannons.

1 Like

I want D4 to be D4 too, but more like D2 and PoE then like D3 ;p

David + Brothers will come back someday and this will be obvious (d5?), now its hard to say.
I hope this time they dont forget to add core of Diablo - trade and pvp.

im not any fanboy btw, just want my game not to be butterfly tale without a trade and hostile again

3 Likes

Path of exile is an amazing game.
Balanced, well crafted thing, for pro players to get in.
But!!
David Bovrik still alive, the master of all masters.

2 Likes

Oh man… you mean Diablo immortal and warcraft reforged xD?

You DO take a fair amount of defenses in D3.

In fact, most builds take the maximum amount they’re able to. The issue is that D3 capped itself on scaling pretty damn hard. Do you realize that every build is at the point of diminishing returns on armor and resistances? Getting more does almost no good whatsoever, and the only thing you can do beyond that is stack the 40-60% reduction modifiers on items and abilities… and those are not equally accessible.

So we have the Marauder inspired by the Barbarian inspiring the Barbarian now? Heh.

Blizzard has always looked at other games outside the franchise; that’s how the franchise started.

Success comes from innovation and/or expansion… it’d be very silly of Blizzard to think that nobody else has anything they could innovate or expand on. Further, if they don’t look at other games that did take what Blizzard has already done and innovated then they risk being behind those other games.

But the other games do have that. Well, it’s not circular, but it’s still a minimap in the corner.

There is 2 different ways here…
In PoE you may fail in something, but in 99% of time player have a convection of success, I talk for my self, a 99 Jagg marauder, level 97 zombie necro, 2 deadeye rangers level 95, tornado and ice shot. In PoE you don’t need to fish, you make your own gear, you choose what you want from each char, like diablo2.
In diablo3, to be realistic, the only thing you really choose, is your char name. Nothing personal.
The difference is when who commands have sometimes to make a stop, and listen to those who follow, to share opinions, and take tips.
I remember Jay Wilson, and his " unique vision"…I remember when they nerfed Minirai 1 week after launch necro. And kept the dudes who used conduit+ Minirai bug with gems on high level. Killing a boss level 150 with 1 hit…
And each time diablo3 player spent 90 to 100 keys, for a simple tier 120 or 125 Gr cuz of density, and bad areas, he breath deep, and remember that PoE exist.

2 Likes

Build???
No man… don’t say that please!!!
To correct you.
It is a generic set per char…
And no !!! You don’t have fair defenses … all resistance blows, on barb u can stack a lot of DR… and barb still blows. And to prove it…
Read unity ring xD… they know it is unbalanced, also, they just increase your dmg, cuz their " philosophy" is only based on damage. But don’t worry!! The signs of the constant damage to game start to born… the 4th cube slot… I am right, blizzard developers are wrong.
Example…
Wiz tanks more than barb and crusader…
B.s. necro tanks more than barb crusader monk and Kim ill song together…
The monk is a joke…
Crusader I suppose should tank like hell, but no, I saw it today, I played necro, in our team was a crusader over level 5300, he is dying while my necro tanks arcane sentries and frozen pulse. Tier 125 128 130.
No man… the game is unbalanced. Totally and definitely unbalanced.
Sorry… but it is the truth.

And it is not personal…

2 Likes

Not everyone knows how to build a character properly though. It’s not entirely about the stats but how many layers of multipliers you invest in for damage or defense. Wiz have absorb, Monk have dodge, DH have either and 'sader or Barbs can stack many defensive buffs. The expected thing is a 5.3k player supposed to play their at least main character right, unless they got the account from someone else.
I saw high plvl characters dying left and right while doing something so simple as farming T16. It can happen to anyone though, but repeatedly dying either means you aren’t really invested in the character or you just try to chew more than you can bite.

I love Paladins…
I love dueleres in PoE…
I feel so sorry of crusader… the blonde girl hates fire see?

Diablo4…
Yea diablo4…
Guys… remember this day.

Who’s that, and does he know David Brevik (who hasn’t made a decent game in two decades since Diablo II)?

Could be an interesting mechanism depending on how it was done. But seems like it might struggle to be as impactful a mechanism for ranged characters.

Yeah, lets not do that one. Can it get more anti-ARPG? (Well, I guess it can, by adding trading). Gear should be found, not crafted.

1 Like