Blizzard INPUT AntiCheat IN Games Stop BOTS!

Yeah much as I hate bots, I’d have to agree.

I do not want captcha in the games I play.

The industry is moving toward personal loot because of scripts being very difficult to detect, but I still want the game to be enjoyable. Captchas are terrible and ruin that enjoyment.

D2R because of its economic incentive and extreme drop rates, Along with an FFA loot system are the perfect type of game for botters.

In games like D3, there are obviously still botters using it for personal use to grind pxp and items, but it’s nowhere the incentive as a game like d2.

I hope they make d4 less Grindy and instead focus on specialization, where the incentive to use bots is far less.

D2R botting is inevitable, it’s the perfect storm of bottable game mechanics.

20 characters…

I super don’t care. I don’t want captcha, or AIs analyzing my playing.

That’s just a really bad solution.

1 Like

Tbf he did say Diablo, which diablo wasn’t specified.

1 Like

So what? Playing Diablo and then Diablo 2 makes you a game security expert now?

Sure then, whatever. I’ve also been playing for 22 or 23 years then. I don’t fling that number around like it somehow validates my opinion (because it doesn’t!).

That’s a joke statement. Seriously dude.

Every major player in the web space may eventually adapt Google’s non-invasive system or something similar and you’re calling it a bad system? LOL.

Blizzard also disagrees with you because they already analyze kbd and mouse inputs with Warden-like embedded code on client etc. That’s how they pick up on some things etc.

So no it’s not a bad solution. In fact, it’s the best solution when it’s non-invasive.

7 Likes

Nah. I just know what I want and don’t want in my games, and I know that I don’t want captcha anywhere near my gaming experience.

Also to be totally frank, Blizzard has people they pay to look at these kinds of solutions, and nothing anyone can bring to these forums hasn’t already been considered and talked about by them. This “hey guys I swear I have the solution to gaming’s cheating problem that no one has ever thought about before!” nonsense that pops up here every 3-4 weeks is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Correct, because none of us are PAYING to spend 20 seconds everytime we make a game solving a captcha.

Your solution is neither new, nor good, nor interesting. It’s inconvenient to players, and would not pose a realistic obstacle to bots, which have workarounds.

1 Like

Once again, you’re misunderstanding the technology. CAPTCHA is just a broad term involving a turing test to distinguish human from computer. The new systems are not a popup with an image of “pick the fire hydrants or traffic lights” on this grid. The new CAPTCHAs are invisible and non-invasive to players or users. They record inputs and behavior and compare to profiles in the background etc.

So when you say you don’t want CAPTCHA anywhere near you, you’re basically saying you don’t want software anywhere near you. It’s nonsensical and just shows a serious lack of understanding on the issue.

These kinds of solutions are a function of money and expertise. If Blizzard decides to spend enough money and use a sophisticated solution they would definitely shut the door on most bots because those bots don’t use AI.

5 Likes

You’re right that captcha have advanced but I’d like to point out that OP keeps posting about captcha that take 20 seconds to solve. So his idea is still bad and stupid. =)

Though the true definition of captcha is broad, the common usage of it can easily be viewed as more closely to Drium’s usage.

I don’t think either of you are ‘wrong’, here.

agree blizzard need to enforce the security of this game , the first day player have the alpha they find the way too dupe and bot again and also crash the game

A blurb on recaptcha v3 but there are many other new ones like it:

"…reCaptcha v3. It uses behavioral detection to predict whether a given request originates from a human or not. While behavioral detection is indeed extremely helpful for detecting advanced bots, learning how to accurately distinguish bots from humans requires very large data volumes.

Before reCaptcha v3 can make a decision based on behavior, It also needs a user to interact for a while before it can make an accurate decision."

The deal is that a game is a unique opportunity to gather this metric ton of input data. On a web site, they only have a limited time - literally some people are click click and into the user/password screen and ordering stuff or commenting or whatever.

So the deal imo is that a game can be a much better detector because it has so much more data on hand from umpteen clicks and behavior.

As always, it’s up to Blizzard to step up it’s game.

2 Likes

How extremely nice and polite of you to make fun of people who might have various disabilities that make solving captcha difficult, and to breach the ToS to insult me on top. Just, peak value there. Thanks!

No but seriously, conventional captcha are a huge issue for tons of people. Color blindness is a huge one, but also dyslexia. Then when you get into those image captcha they have recently, things get kinda muddy.

Please stop being rude and brush up on the ToS.

2 Likes

Very interesting, thank you.

Why would anyone be against a sophisticated anti-bot potential solution that wouldnt interfere with our gameplay?

Drium, what? You dont want ai analyzing your gameplay? In a Diablo game to prevent bots? If it doesnt require a time-out verification? Why not? Why would you not want an invisible ai program in D2 like this analyzing your playing?

1 Like

Just a personal preference. I’m not a fan of Google’s all-encompassing monitoring.

Just so you know, they definitely will be analyzing your gameplay with AI in D2R. This is true for just about any online game with a big profile.

I don’t see it as a big deal. It’s their servers we’re playing on, why wouldn’t they have the absolute right to see what is happening on them? We literally agree to it when we install the game.

4 Likes

Analyzing our playing in D2 to prevent bots is categorically different from monitoring our internet searches, herr Drium…

6 Likes

You can drop the intentional tongue in cheek attempts to insult me. =)

OP and Solo are talking about Google’s captcha systems and AIs specifically, not Blizzard’s own anti-cheat.

There are many non-Google companies doing roughly the same system.

Google just happens to be the 800lb gorilla in the room.

So the non-invasive solution would not necessarily be Google.

Google is pure Evil though - an obvious monopoly in the search space - mercilessly driving out competition by requiring their search engine to be used instead of competitors or you can’t plug into any google products or services etc which is a death sentence so of course companies use Google search, and they perform egregious privacy invasion that just isn’t acceptable to most people but since it’s technically legal they get away with it.

They actively track your location using mobile devices, what you buy, where you buy, collect and aggregate meta-data from every web site you visit. The fact they used to personalize ads based on scanning private emails in gmail says it all.

We’ll see how the DOJ monopoly suit goes against them. That’s the only hope.

5 Likes