Although I am on the “lets update D2 to present day standards”-side, I would like to point out couple of problems regarding common change “requests” (or shall I say “demands”? ):
So, you feel it is unfair that someone else picks up the Jah before you can even read its text, so you want ploot to be implemented.
- If Blizzard implements the same amount of drop for all players in the game, the “trade market” of items will break.
- If the drop amount remains the same, but there is going to be a timer until players can pick up their stuff, and after the timer the loot becomes FFA, this will slow down the game pace terribly because players will just stand and wait for the timer to end.
- If loot is sorted out randomly, players who contributed to the kill will get angry if you - who stood in the back leeching exp - did nothing, but got the Jah.
- If only certain items will be raffled among players, who is going to control what items should be raffled? You might say “only uniques and high runes”, I say “all items”, someone else says “only X and Y”. What is important to you, might not be important for me and vica versa.
- If a crazy idea pops up how to solve this, it might require UI change, that might require new items to be added and to support old graphics it can be problematic.
- Play only with your friends, so FFA is not a problem.
- If you dont have friends, get some. Socialize and keep in mind that at the end of the day this is just a game.
- New Acts/Quests/monsters: come on! The story of D2 had already been finished. We already had D3 and D4 is in development. Also, these require new graphics/audio/video and supporting old content can be (nearly) impossible.
- New RWs: this might also require new content, but would also break the market as it has a huge effect on metas.
- If you can stack things, devs should develop the feature to split these as well.
- Stacks mean you can store more items, therefore the market price for items can rise.
- What happens if you have 2 Jah in a stack and you forget to split them before adding the stack to the item sockets? Shall the game add all making a potential Enigma messed up? Shall the game add them 1-by-1? And if your input is messed up or you accidentally click twice?
- Different tabs for gems and runes: it means slightly new content and new logic that needs to be implemented.
- Redesigning synergies: it has couple of problems. It makes it more difficult for everyone to get used to. Also, this requires lot of development and testing time. Not to mention that it messes up the “meta” (that I am not against, I am just listing the things I can think of).
- Modifying the synergies/skill properties: I personally think it can be a good thing, but every small change must be carefully analyzed. Just because a specific build does not work for you, it does not mean that build is bad and needs changing. Maybe it is just you who does not know how to properly use that build. I remember my very first frozen orb sorc who had a two handed maul in her hands…
So, generally speaking before you ask for a new change, try to think of the followings:
- Time and effort it takes to develop it.
- Old/new graphics support.
- Effect on market and meta.
- General usability from beginner/advanced gamer point of view.
Please also be constructive instead of toxic! Have a wonderful day, hero!