[Early Access Beta] Comprehensive List of Bugs and Feedback

UPDATE: Thank you for everyone who helped me compile this list of bugs! I am no longer updating this list, but when the next phase of the beta begins, keep your eyes open for another one. Happy Hunting!

Major Bugs:

1. [NETWORKING] Client monster and player locations will sometimes un-sync with the server’s monster and player location, causing monsters to become un-hittable, or able to melee attack you from across the screen. Sometimes this will fix itself and monsters or players will disappear and reappear in the correct locations (A.K.A. Rubber-banding). Especially noticeable with faster-moving or direction-changing monsters, such as Act 1 Fallen or Act 2 Scarabs, or when surrounded by enemies and trying run away from them. Suggested fix is to update client monster and player position when monsters or players change directions, start an attack, or are attacked. This is also a Classic bug.
  2. [OPTIMIZATION] If the client has been active for several hours, framerates will noticeably drop especially on inventory screens and when moving items (dragging the cursor) between inventory screens. Presumably this is a memory leak.
  3. [VISUAL] Character light is slightly smaller (~25 to 30%) than it is in Legacy, making monsters harder to see. This can be easily confirmed by stacking a large amount of increased light radius gear (e.g. +10 or more) and comparing with Legacy mode in a dungeon or other un-illuminated area.
  4. [WORLD] Monsters, players, and mercs can sometimes attack through or walk through closed doors especially in Act 2 tombs. This can also cause monster locations to un-sync (see #1), allowing them to attack you while they are across the room or not visible. This is also a Classic bug.
  5. [USER INTERFACE] When holding an item with the mouse cursor (mouse dragging), clicking on an item in a shared stash tab will not swap that item with the held item. You can still click on items in the personal stash tab to swap them as normal.
  6. [USER INTERFACE] Items are not removed from Gheed’s gambling interface when you purchase them, allowing you to gamble an item multiple times.
  7. [USER INTERFACE] There is no control to change the automap to minimap. The toggle minimap command only causes the minimap to change which side of the screen it’s on. Workaround is to go into legacy mode > open menu > click options > click automap options and change automap size to minimap.
  8. [CHARACTER] The Druid’s Werewolf form (and Werebear form?) normal attacks are much slower than expected. e.g. Human form attacks 88 times per minute with a fast weapon and Werewolf rank 1 form attacks 77 times per minute with a fast weapon, despite the tooltip claiming it grants Attack Speed: +20%. It should be closer to 106 attacks per minute. This is also a Classic bug.
  9. [CHARACTER] Attacking with Feral Rage at the same time as Werewolf duration ends can cause you to be stuck in human form with the Feral Rage orb spinning around you. Activating Werewolf again causes the orb to disappear, but does not cause you to enter werewolf form. This may also be a Classic bug.
  10. [USER INTERFACE] Most chat commands do not work.
  11. [USER INTERFACE] Trading has numerous bugs. Apparently trading runewords or jewels can cause stat doubling? Cancelling a trade with escape crashes the game.
  12. [GAMEPLAY] Conviction from act 2 monsters lowers your resistances to -100.
  13. [VISUAL] Equipping a shield in left-slot and a weapon in right-slot (so the opposite of “normal”) and logging out shows your character holding both items in the same hand.
  14. [USER INTERFACE] Unchecking the hostile button removes you from the game.
  15. [USER INTERFACE] Clicking items on the ground may not add it to your inventory.
  16. [USER INTERFACE] Popular games in the game name list disappear when clicking on them. This may be related to the game becoming full.
  17. [USER INTERFACE] There is no audio notification when someone goes hostile to you.
  18. [USER INTERFACE] Hitting G to enter legacy mode graphics can sometimes cause the game to crash. This seems to be more likely to happen after the game has been running for a long period of time.
  19. [GAMEPLAY] (Unconfirmed) Frozen Orb may not be receiving synergy bonuses from Ice Bolt.
  20. [CHARACTER] (Unconfirmed) Paladin’s Holy Freeze aura is not slowing enemies.
  21. [CHARACTER] (Unconfirmed) Sorceress can teleport off the map.
  22. [GAMEPLAY] (Unconfirmed) Game can hang when going through a waypoint.
  23. [OPTIMIZATION] (Unconfirmed) There are numerous reports of GPUs overheating. I did notice that my GPU fan was running full-blast, but my GPU did not overheat.
  24. [USER INTERFACE] Sometimes activating a potion will not work, leaving the potion unconsumed but playing the potion sound. This may be due to user error such as holding down the control button down to apply the potion to your merc.
  25. [GAMEPLAY] The health regeneration of health potions sometimes takes a second or two before it takes effect.
  26. [GAMEPLAY] Mercenary sometimes wanders off too far and doesn’t follow or gets stuck. Only workaround is to use Teleport to get him to follow.
  27. [NETWORKING] (Unconfirmed) Multiplayer games are permanent / not being automatically deleted by the server. This could also just be an increased duration before the server deletes empty multiplayer games.
  28. [USER INTERFACE] (Unconfirmed/Vague) Weapon swapping is not working when locked onto something. I assume this bug is related to using a controller or on console.
  29. [USER INTERFACE] The automap and minimap need improvement with colorblind mode.
  30. [VISUAL] The mercenary sometimes turns invisible, but still works as normal until going through something (town portal, waypoint, dungeon entrance) that requires a load screen.
  31. [USER INTERFACE] Pressing alt to view items on the ground can cause the character to lock up/stop animating and be unable to use skills or move.
  32. [CHARACTER] Using Paladin’s charge into a insurmountable obstacle such as a rock or wall completely drains your current mana.
  33. [GAMEPLAY] Using melee attacks against enemies that are moving away from you will never hit, but do not show a “Miss” message. I believe this is because the game moves you just close enough to be in range when it starts the attack but because the enemy is moving away, you will be out of range by the time the attack would land. Easy fix is to calculate how far the monster will move over the attack’s swing timer and add that distance to the range calculations that determine when your character will stop moving and start their attack.

Minor Bugs:

1. [VISUAL] Staircase landings in Arcane Sanctuary sometimes flicker rapidly, presumably due to Z-Fighting.
  2. [USER INTERFACE] When depositing or withdrawing gold from a stash tab, highlighting the amount and typing a number will not replace the highlighted text with the number typed.
  3. [VISUAL] Fire-enchanted unique monster deaths do not cause an explosion of gore.
  4. [VISUAL] Exits in Act 2 Tombs are incredibly hard to find on the automap.
  5. [MONSTER] Duriel’s freezing aura is not slowing the player.
  6. [GAMEPLAY] (unconfirmed) Jewels with multiple damage affixes (e.g. +15 maximum damage and +30% enhanced damage) are not applying these affixes correctly when they are used on helms and armor.
  7. [USER INTERFACE] (Unconfirmed) Dying removes hotkey assignments on skills.
  8. [VISUAL] Objects on the ground sometimes are displayed with a translucent darker box over them. This was followed by a crash to desktop the one time that I saw it.
  9. [CHARACTER] (Unconfirmed) Sorceress Telekinesis is not interacting with the stash as it did in original D2.
  10. [CHARACTER] (Unconfirmed) Amazon’s Strafe can cause weird visual bugs.
  11. [CHARACTER] Druid’s wolf summons can cause weird visual bugs. There is a screen-wide flash when summons disappear.
  12. [CONTROLLER] (Unconfirmed) Items placed in the stash aren’t aligned with intended position.
  13. [CONTROLLER] (Unconfirmed) It’s difficult to target players in PVP, causing you to accidentally attack the wrong targets.
  14. [USER INTERFACE] Miss indicator text is missing on the German language client. This may be due to incomplete translation.
  15. [USER INTERFACE] When showing item nameplates and having multiple items on the ground in the same location, the nameplates sometimes flicker between two different locations.
  16. [USER INTERFACE] Doors, Chests, Shrines, and the entrance to Duriel’s room are sometimes not responding to clicks.
  17. [USER INTERFACE] Moving items to and from the stash with control + click works strangely when done rapid succession, such as picking up items instead of transferring them.
  18. [SOUND] There are strange popping/hissing noises in the Cathedral (just past Inner Cloister waypoint) every 3 seconds that vary in volume and perceived location. The sound is similar to a ice bolt impact?
  19. [USER INTERFACE] Set items placed in the shared stash tabs are displaying as if you do not meet the requirements.

Possibly a bug?

1. [GAMEPLAY] Public stash tabs do not lose gold on death.
  2. [GAMEPLAY] Dungeon maps seem to be substantially larger than they should be for Normal difficulty. Wasn’t map size scaled based on game difficulty?
  3. [USER INTERFACE] Double-clicking character names in the character list will not make it automatically start a game.
  4. [USER INTERFACE] Double-clicking game names in the game name list will not make you automatically join a game.
  5. [USER INTERFACE] Cain is not identifying objects that are in the Horadric Cube.
  6. [CHARACTER] (Unconfirmed) Barbarian’s Double Swing seems to be behaving differently than it used to, possibly by averaging the swing timers of both weapons?
  7. [GAMEPLAY] Cold-enchanted unique monsters may be causing excessive slowing or freezing. This may just be the game working as intended, but should be investigated.
  8. [VISUAL] (Unconfirmed/Vague) Druid aura goes bottom up instead of top down?
  9. [VISUAL] Screen is blurry when moving. I only noticed this at first when I started playing and I guess I got used to it, but there are several other reports on it as well. It may be related to very low or very high framerates or the new sharpening feature.
  10. [USER INTERFACE] Changes made to the Gameplay and Controls tab are stored per character instead of per client, so creating a new character will result in having all default Gameplay and Controls. Changing these settings in the menus will change them for the client.

Feedback (Mine)

1. [VISUAL] This is an faithful reproduction of D2:LoD and Vicarious Visions has done an amazing job keeping the visual art style from the original game while updating the graphics. Kudos to the entire team over there.
  2. [FEEDBACK/OTHER] Games that are not continuously maintained, updated, and expanded upon will eventually die. There may be a very small group of diehard fans who believe it is perfect as is and will continue to play forever, but there are usually a much, MUCH larger collection of players that enjoy it and would continue to play if if the game was expanded upon by adding new content. Just look at World of Warcraft for example. If the game had never received an expansion, the game would likely have lost 90% of it’s player base by 2010. However, Blizzard continued to release expansions for it and maintained it very well up until the end of Legion in 2018. I do NOT believe that D2 should receive any expansions as we already have D3 and upcoming D4, but I do believe that having periodic updates for D2 such as balance updates and new ladder runewords for every ladder season would keep the game fresh like it has with D3.

Feedback (Not mine)

1. [USER INTERFACE] The black bars on ultra-wide monitors are bad.
  2. [GAMEPLAY] (Controversial) D2 needs a multiplayer game setting for other loot modes in addition to Classic’s free-for-all; fighting for loot drops is bad. A round-robin loot mode could be easily implemented by adding a short timer (e.g. 5 seconds) to each drop and randomly/sequentially selecting a player. For the duration of the timer, make that drop’s nameplate translucent and make the item un-clickable by other players.
  3. [GAMEPLAY] (Controversial) D2 needs updates related to balancing for end-game, new ladder runewords, new endgame content, etc.
  4. [GAMEPLAY] Please add an option to keyboard/mouse as well as controller to force NPCs and mercenaries to move.
33 Likes

chat system / joining games is kind of stupid…

3 Likes

Personal loot would destroy diablo 2 no matter how they implemented it

20 Likes

+1
This game is not ready for full release.

1 Like

Full price for a game and they can’t even fix 20 year old bugs.

This release has WC3R written all over it.

3 Likes

This wasn’t my feedback; it was what I’ve read on numerous other posts.

However, I disagree that it would destroy the game. Personal loot systems have been successfully implemented on numerous other games in a huge variety of ways.

Here’s how I would implement it in D2, trying to keep the original game feel:

When a piece of loot is dropped, randomly (or sequentially) select a player in the same map zone and start a timer (for say 5 seconds). For the duration of the timer, make the item name be translucent and make the item unable to be picked up except by that player. After the timer ends, make the drop fully visible and allow it to be picked up by anyone.

5 Likes

Don’t forget that the enhance damage bug could also be in this new D2. The bug is with jewels that have plus to min/max with enhanced damage %. IF you stick a jewel with these modifiers in a socketed armor, then the enhanced damage enhances the damage of the opposite end of min/max when it should enhance both minimum and maximum damage.

1 Like

Look how Path of Exile has:
Creating an open lobby you can select: free for all loot, short allocation (5-10sec your loot) and permanent allocation.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen this, but I did test it just now. I applied a jewel with +4 minimum damage to my druid’s helm and it successfully increased my attack’s minimum damage amount. Do you have a screenshot you can post for confirmation?

No, that is not what I’m talking about… Say you have a Jewel that has +15 to maximum damage with 20% enhanced damage on the same jewel. Well if you then stick this jewel in armor then it applies the +15 maximum damage properly as it should, but the 20% enhanced damage is not done correctly. What happens is the enhanced damage only applies to the opposite end, to the minimum in this case. Enhanced damage is suppose to increase both the minimum and maximum damage, not just one side, especially the opposite.

1 Like

That happens when the jewel has both affixes +max dmg and +ed, you can use those only in weapons or they will bug

1 Like

This is quie nice change, I hope the implement it.

This would make sense. If you gave all your gold to an off character and died, you character should not loose any gold.

I agree on both statments.

2 Likes

Added this to the list. Thank you.

At first, I did not like this idea, however after thinking it through I changed my mind. I do see one strategy that could be used with this game mechanic. I could enter a game and have 7 people parked in my game right next to me. Then I would go and clear a high-level monster area and pick up my loot. By waiting a few seconds, I could get 7 times more drops for that monster. Is that an accurate assumption? How would you handle necromancers using bone wall to block off characters from loot drops?

1 Like

I’m sure that bone wall is absolutely a way to exploit this, but it’s still better than the existing system for ensuring loot fairness. Maybe they could make bone wall not affect player movement unless that player is hostile to the player that created the bone wall?

Now you are getting into changes that I would like to see as well but are controversial. A necromancer could cause a situation in Baal runs where he could block off paths from other player to grab loot. What about multiboxing? I’m quite liking the current D3 loot drop mechanics. Its simple clean and private.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t really want to get into controversial changes.

As for multiboxing… I don’t have any opinion on it except that it should be a bannable offense in PVP.

I do like the D3 loot mechanics as well, but as a software developer I think it would be unfeasible to implement such a huge change in D2.

It may not be that far of as we think. Let’s look at the act one save Cain quest. Akara gives out personal loot to all players individually. Give monster and Bosses a similar reward coding that Akara has to all players during the loot drop session and bam we have a starting point. Its just a matter of getting the right person to code the game so that it behaves the way the designer wants it to behave.

1 Like

True. Also, I added the bugs that you reported in your thread to this list.

:+1:
20 characters limit.

1 Like