Battlenet Account Theft and Prevention

Swiper no swipey my account!

1 Like

It was posted here on the board. I thought you saw it. Anyways, i got your point.

Oh, well yeah if I see something I might report it. It is a blind report though same as you. They donā€™t tend to tell me the outcome.

1 Like

For anyone who had not seen the thread, please share with any friends who might be new to Bnet and the world of shady account thieves.

Authenticator app. This is the way.

1 Like

I used to have an authenticator when D3 released for that reason. Years later I removed it before the batteries may run out.

I am a phoneless, poor and Irish man (who therefore has no hat) and may just have to get a new one.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder! I didnā€™t even know there was an App.

1 Like

I am living dangerously! I have the keychain one still. I got it in 2010 when my 2008 one died suddenly. Blizz was kind and sent a replacement for free. That one has held up beautifully! Esp seeing as we donā€™t need to use it very often if we are home and nothing about the login changes.

Eventaully I am going to have to suck it up and get the Phone app version :frowning: It works fine, I just donā€™t tend to do phone apps.

What bugs me though, is a recent change made it so that instead of just having the Auth on any compatible device, even old phones without regular service, it now requires a real phone number too. One that is registered to your country and is not VOIP or pre-paid. Cricket tends to have issues too - like a lot of their numbers were originally registered as a batch of pre-paid and even though now they are not, they are not updated?

Still, Authenticator on the account and setting up secondary Auth on the email both help. If they canā€™t get in your email it limits the account damage they can do.

1 Like