Barbarian Savages Buff

Hello everyone. The Savages buff seems underwhelming. I think a 4000% instead of going for 2000% would be much more in line with competing builds at the top.
I mean top paragon players can barely do GR 143.
This build is at least 7 tiers behind top Barb builds.
5000% instead of live 1000% would do it. 2000% isn’t even 5 tiers better.

7 Likes

Technically not wrong, it’s about 4.41 GRs better.

Unless something is completely broken, the devs don’t bother with feedback regarding balance changes, sadly. At this point, the only thing that may change for this season is the broken interaction of Shadow’s and Natalya’s sets.

They could buff frenzy by 20 tiers, yet the greatest challenge with the set would still be staying awake while holding down your frenzy attack button for 99% of the GR.

1 Like

Versus holding down your whirlwind button for 100% of the GR.

2 Likes

Well, “top paragon players” have already done GR 150 with Frenzy, without the PTR buff.

And after the buff, Frenzy will be almost exactly 4 tiers behind the top Barb build, Raekor. But: Frenzy is a build with a high average clear, compared to its peak clear.

i.e, it’s a very consistent build. Post-buff, I’ll be able to run GR 137 or 138 on loop, without failing (at about 4.6k paragon). That’s worse than what I can do with Raekor, but better than I can do with any other Barb build.

They could add a bit more damage. Taking the number from 2000–> 2500 would not break the game.

4 Likes

It might be a fun experiment to consider a Messerschmidt’s Reaver-like effect:

Your Wrath of the Berserker cooldown is reduced by 0.5 seconds for each stack of Frenzy when an enemy is slain. This can occur once every 1 second.

Or something. Just thinking out loud - I know one thing Frenzy barbies want is more WotB.

1 Like

It is 100% underwhelming, I’ve always wanted to frenzy barb, I’ve always loved the idea of hack & slash barb… but they stuck to their guns on making it essentially impossible to play with anything besides Oathkeeper and Azurewrath and remain competitive, when it first came out and people asked for the damage bonus application method to be changed and it never happened, on top of the damage just being lack-luster overall compared to almost every other barb build.

It would be nice to be able to work in other weapons instead of Azurewrath, like Dishonored Legacy, or Blade of the Warlord…(which of course would have to have their legendary affixes changed or buffed) which have been completely useless and never used since they were changed something like 10+ seasons ago. They came out and said “we’ll be changing tons of legendary items! be on the look out for those changes!” and then changed like 4 items legendary affixes. Hell, even a thorns frenzy build with Hack would be exceptionally cool, if they had the capability of having any creativity whatsoever as a development team… The barb literally has a passive ability that buffs thorns, and it hasn’t been used in like 20 seasons, and even when it WAS used, it was like D tier for funsies.

I truly hope they fire the entire D3 dev team, because they’ve completely let down the entire community time and time again, season after season, with their “we know what is best” mentality, even when people with 10,000+ hours make suggestions, they go unheard.

What’s your opinion of pineapple on pizza?

1 Like

I expected a bit more from doubling the big damage bonus, but to my noobish eyes it looks like 90Sav is on par with Wastes Rend now.
Both very easy to play yet effective for the average GR90-110 solo player. One is better for tough elites while the other is a trashmob killing machine.

I would rather see Raekor tuned down a tiny bit to make Barb perfect. And ofc any build involving Strafe DH nuked from orbit with great prejudice.

We were just discussing, over in the Barb forum… if they were to buff H90 further, the most interesting way to do it would probably be to increase the damage bonus to Feared, Frozen, or Stunned enemies on the 2-piece.

Because, the best use for H90 Frenzy is as a speed build- playing it while pushing can be a bit of a slog. And, that damage bonus on the 2-piece is most effective in speed setups, because while pushing, everything takes long enough to die that mobs build up a lot of CC resist.

In push, after about 10 seconds have passed, overall uptime on your hard CCs will fall to somewhere between 20% and 30%. That means that your actual damage bonus is whatever the bonus to Feared/Frozen/Stunned is, times .2 or .3.

So when pushing, you actually get about a 100 * .25 = 25% damage bonus.

If they increased that number from +100% to +200%, then rather than getting a 25% damage increase in push, it would be 50% (200 * .25), and that corresponds to about a 20% net buff (1.5 / 1.25 = 1.2). But in speeds, you’d go from doing 2x damage most of the time to 3x, so that’s a 50% net buff. Or, y’know, if a still-larger buff was desired, the number could go to +300%, or +400%.

Bottom line, increasing this bonus is more interesting than just another flat damage increase, and plays directly towards the things the build is already good at.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t this just make group play even stronger???

Nope. That bonus only works on characters with the H90 2-piece equipped, not other players in the party.

1 Like

I, too, am of the opinion that buffing the 2-piece bonus is the best way to improve H90.

I also want the devs to replace that 50% they stole from Lamentation, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

And while they’re at it, buff MOTE.

And give WDs and Saders some love.

And get me a coffee.

6 Likes

They could double the effect of shout related items also.

You mean, double the doubling, or 4x? If they did that and it worked the same way it does now, you’d end up with 120% Dodge Chance, making you completely immune to all dodgeable attacks!

That’s… probably too strong.

nah I mean for items like chilantiks chain which is shout based, or another I can think of off the top of my head, blade of the tribes. Stuff like that. So instead of 40% speed bonus, get 80%, etc.

This makes a lot of sense - I found the difficulty with the H90 set is that whilst it does single damage well, chewing on trash takes a touch too long, and with no really effective passive damage (i.e. Rend build), you get bogged down too long on trash packs. I really like your suggestion - hope someone is listening!

1 Like

troll elsewhere kiddo, nobody cares about it here.

I’d like to see a bit more damage added before the Season starts. If this is the last season before D4, then let us go crazy with the stabby stabby. I feel like we’re not Frenz Blizz.