Barb Buffs in 2.6.7 & What You Want

They said it shouldn’t be too major concern since all Rend damage is dealt over one second which will reduce the amount of calculations.

But right now is already lagy without any DOT??

Just on the side, but is there another way to efficiently proc/benefit from Fjord Cutter for a Barbarian besides the Permafrost rune from Seismic Slam?

Yeah, I know there is Bane of the Trapped, but that is only in a 15 yards radius around you and SS has a range of 50 yards.

I am asking because Permafrost is my lest favorite rune on SS (in regards to visuals and the sound effect) and I therefore would like to use another one…

WW is laggy now due to how it has to be played to be effective. You need to pool up tons of enemies together, build up attack speed by using the Pain Enhancer gem and that combined with huge amount of area damage cause lag. The current method just creates too much calculations for the servers.

With this reworked way you no longer have to pool up enemies to be effective, just plow through everything and let Rend finish them off. Much less calculations, in theory. On the PTR we’ll see the reality.

1 Like

can you, or anybody please explane me what does this means ?
Ambo’s Pride

• New Legendary Power: Attacking with Whirlwind also applies Rend and the total damage of Rend is dealt over 1 second

It means Rend damage will be a big chunk of Whirlwind LoD/LoN/Wastes set damage. Also might stack Stricken really fast.

1 Like

Someone can give you the logistics. In plain English, if you equip or Kanai ,Ambo’s Pride, every time you hit any enemy (with whirlwhind), rend is applied. Using the ‘Wrath of the Wastes’ green set, the 15 seconds is removed. If you have rend as a skill, it applies the rune you chose with rend. There is no ‘applied over time’ with rend damage if this weapon is used because it means the full damage over time is applied .

If you are wearing the Lamentation belt it, in theory, it should apply both stacks the belt gives instantly or immediately (no waiting for the damage). In theory only. I do not think anyone will know until the PTR.
As for the damage mathematics, someone else can do that who is more skilled than I am.

Most ww barbs are using Captain crimson set already so COE is gone already. There has to be a way to stay alive or a 10 grift gain means nothing which is what it looks like powerwise. Theses changes are actually a nerf to parthans do to less trash being alive form a nuke all at once. Rend dmage will kill alot of trash before a large group can be pulled. We have two spots with 3 very important items. Lamentation/pride of cassius/mantle of channeling. Lamentation will be mandatory. So we now cube/wear pride of cassius but we are still losing 25% defense when defense was already an issue. On top of the slight nerf to parthans from less trash we are short good chunk of defense. Then you add a big jump in rift lvls and we are in a tuff spot big time.

2 Likes

I kinda was hoping that Rend also would get an additional base effect like “You deal ~10-20% more damage against enemies that are under the effect of Rend” to make Rend a more interesting choice for builds besides Whirlwind.

1 Like

I believe this is the intent, and like you point out, we’ll have to see how it works on the PTR. I have my doubts about some of the Rend changes, Ambo’s being the biggest concern, but it could be very, very powerful.

Bane of Trapped, follower CC, cold EQ, cold Avalanche, chill effects on gear, and a few others. Permafrost is the best method, obviously. Folks who want to use Rumble, well, that was never really going to be in the mix. Rumble is, plain and simple, a Fury dump that can’t be spammed. It either has to buffed as a nuke (as does Boulder Toss) or it will never deal meaningful damage.

Barbs don’t have toughness issues in most of their builds. DPS is the problem.

1 Like

The difference is that previous patches that boosted barb also boosted the other classes so that the relative power difference didn’t really change. The proposed buffs for this patch don’t also “move the goal post” like previous patches, so the barb power level is likely to improve relative to the other classes, which is the whole point.

1 Like

All of them are either irregular, have a relatively large cooldown or have a limited range and I personally would like to use a rune that is not Permafrost.

I remember that you and Rage made the suggestion of letting Fjord Cutter (or another weapon) to increase SS’s damage against slowed targets, but I can’t remember the reasoning behind why it should only/primarily benefit the Permafrost rune.

That was the main reason why I build my LoN/LoD Seismic Slam Barb, because I wanted to play a build that spams SS and not just uses it as a fury dump.

But if you don’t want Rumble to become too powerful, then why not suggest a weapon that buffs all runes except Rumble. There already is something similar in the game, with that one Necromancer item that iirc gives Command Golem all runes except one (or was it Army of the Dead, dunno). Then Permafrost would not be the only viable rune with the new Ambos Pride.

According to this scheme just Dust Devils create lag because of tickrate damage, still nothing that servers can not handle. Rend is now a cumulative instant damage on WW hits so people would give away their Lag Enha-- I mean Pain Enhancer to gain stability on framerates hopefully. May be Gogok of Swiftness can replace the Pain Enhancer now all WW barbs using Crimson Set as a side dish with RoRG?

I’m not sure if I got you right.
Ambo’s Pride only work with WW collision and too early to talk but I believe Hurricane skillrune most probably will be the best pick amongst all.
In case you meant other crowd control, then there are plenty under Barbarian’s skillset. Avalanche and Earthquake are two for instance.

I was hoping Fjord Cutter to be a Frenzy based legendary item with stacking chilling aura with each attack. Now I guess it will be a side dish for IK-MotE Slam Builds or there will be Cleave-Slam based builds with MotE. I was hoping for Seismic or Cleave would be paired with AS-Boulder Toss with new approaches or Overpower/Revenge to be any useful. No sign of that on the horizon yet.

I hope they consider tweaking Barbarian skills or at least look at unused skills when Blizzcon arrives.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant Fjord Cutter, not Amos Pride.
The new Fjord Cutter causes Seismic Slam to del increased damage to SS.

I’ll edit my previous posts… I confused these two new items.

If this is the case and the damage is great, how important could RCR be?

Keep in mind that barb clears have been artificially inflated by buggy wall charge mechanics, which skews the results.

2 Likes

Actually barbs were weakest but the balance patch at S11 helped a lot.

However, in the current LBs, R6 HOTA pandemic is everywhere. It probably shows +5 grs in these mean curves for barbs. So barb may actually be still behind other classes by about 4 GRs.

3 Likes

If rend could also stack =)
(And only max 3 rends applied at once.)

Or would it be too much damage and too much to calculate?

Rend needs to be damn strong, for years it did not do anything. Some compensation is needed :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Agreed. Missing channeling is a nontrivial toughness nerf. WW build has too many competing slots. If the barb could use stone gauntlets with ice climbers, the problem would get solved but…yea… As it stands, doesn’t look too great.