Bad Performance since Update on Big Sur

same here, new mac air, no issues before the upgrade (besides inventory loading slow). Now unplayable and lags every 2 seconds. would love it if this is fixed soon.

1 Like

Got the same problem with my mid 2014 macbook pro 15 .

My solution is to adjust the resolution settings to lower level like 1280 x 800 or something like that, and the performance still worse than before but the game seems playable.

The other problem is that the power drain, while playing D3, even with my powercore on it’s still much more than before with Catalina.

2 Likes

The same issues here. FPS is around 30 in New Tristram and the game is very choppy. It’s hardly playable when killing mobs. My specs are:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29)
Processor: 2,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Diablo 3 (with Reaper of Souls) version: 2.6.10.71510

I checked and Diablo 3 is using the Radeon graphics, not the integrated one.

I am using defaults in Diablo 3 and the performance is horrible. Just in case, the defaults are:
Fullscreen, 3360x2100x60, Vertical Sync = off, Reflections = off, Max Foreground FPS = 60, Max Background FPS = 8, High Texture Quality, Medium Shadow Quality, High Physics, High Clutter Density, Fullscreen Anti-Aliasing, Low FX off, SSAO off.

I don’t think such a machine should have performance issues with such an old game.

1 Like

Same here with my iMac Pro. I can get a decent frame rate and less “jerky” animations and movements by lowering the screen resolution and lowering some of the effects settings.

It was running 5K max settings, so the machine is clearly capable.

Hey folks,

It seems like only some Big Sur users are having this problem, while others are working just fine. The information a lot of you have posted thus far is pretty good, so thanks for all the system info posted so far.

Can those of you who are having issues check your System Preferences > Software Update menu for another update to Big Sur? Over the last few days a few more tweaks were released for Big Sur. If that doesn’t work, I’d be curious if anybody has a restore point they can roll back to and then reinstall Big Sur with.

I’ve also noticed a decrease in performance after upgrading to Big Sur. I have a suspicion it might be something to do with the CPU spiking whenever you move the cursor with a high refresh rate mouse (usually gaming mice). For me ever since I upgraded I’ve seen the ‘windowServer’ process spike to 150% cpu usage whenever I move my Razer naga.

Tried a super quick test using the trackpad on the Mac, and it did seem to help performance a lot, although imo is still worse than pre-Big Sur!

Haven’t yet found a fix for this.

I can only confirm that on my Mac the frame rate is lagging very hard since Big Sur.
On my PC it is running just fine, so definitely an OS and not a network issue.

My Mac:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,2
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
System Firmware Version: 429.50.1.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.44f5
System Version: macOS 11.0.1 (20B29)
Kernel Version: Darwin 20.1.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: redacted
User Name: redacted
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
System Integrity Protection: Enabled
Time since boot: 2 days 27 minutes
1 Like

i think if you run the game on windowed mode, will fix the issues, i was running it on full screen and it was pretty bad, i selected windowed mode and kind fix it

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 4
L3 Cache: 6 MB
System Firmware Version: 156.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.19f12

One important thing: I play on a secondary monitor (1920x1080) and leave the Retina alone
 I tested:

• “Fullscreen” on secondary monitor (which leaves the Retina display 100% black)
  • Playing on the retina alone, disconnecting the big screen, on several resolutions

But none of these impacted the performance in a good way (playing at the native res on the Retina display is impossible, like, 2-3 frames per second)

One thing I did notice, is that there are “bursts” of good performance. For some reason the stars align and I get 4-5 seconds of very smooth simulation, like 30+fps
 before Big Sur the lagging used to be exception

Another important thing: I did not play the current patch on Mojave (I skipped Catalina altogether), so I cant absolutely say that this is a OS issue, it can be a patch

Do note to check activity monitor because it could be something leeching your CPU power. Apparently when you upgrade spotlight starts indexing and takes a lot. It’s under MDS_ something. I don’t exactly know how to fix these issues, but you’d think an update/upgrade would not be a downgrade

Tks for the help but that is not the case

I just tested and Dota 2 performance seems to be the same after the update. I couldn’t notice any loss

Similar issues - it’s playable, but annoying
BigSur 11.0.1
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014
2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core 5
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
AMD Radion R9 M290X 2GB

I play Windowed (Fullscreen) option - but I tried Windowed and Fullscreen based on some other comments and didn’t seem to make any difference. I’ve tried reducing some of the quality options, but again, not really seeing any change or difference in performance. Thanks

Edit - FWIW - WoW is playing identical to pre-BigSur update. doubt that’s useful for anything, but thought I’d mention since it doesn’t seem to have to do with any kind of network or lag issues.

Don’t think it’s a Big Sur. sluggsh mouse performance, won’t display items in stash or Equipment window until a minute or 2 later. After latest patch is when I started having issues - on Catalina @ that point !

4 Likes

Really sluggish mouse right now.

I have the same problems.

First I tried season 22 under Catalina there were no problems then I updated to Big Sur -bad mistake.

The same problems like the others. Terrible performance mouse issues etc.

I tried window mode, lowest configuration and so on but nothing worked

iMac 27" i9 3,6ghz
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
40GB Ram

On Catalina always highest confiG,.

2 Likes

Yeah. Same problem here. Super choppy after Big Sur Install.
I tried reinstalling D3 to no avail.

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,4
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 4
L3 Cache: 6 MB
System Firmware Version: 424.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.29f24

Intel Iris Pro:

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Pro
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x0d26
Revision ID: 0x0008
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 1

Show us some love and give us the Metal treatment please.

2 Likes

Yeah im on a 2019 iMac Pro and recently updated to Big Sur. Game play options had to be adjusted to lower the Frame Rate to lowest possible settings and it was playable. Huge issue now is items won’t appear/paint in inventory/stash/bag, and even items that drop will not immediately appear. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, and sometimes it can take a minute to appear. That makes the game unplayable at this point. I have adjusted all graphics settings from lowest to highest and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. definitely not a connection issue as speeds are blazing fast at all times when it does not work.

2 Likes

I only saw one person who claimed their performance was good. Regardless, the game is pretty much unplayable for me on Big Sur, whereas it was fine before the update. My OS is completely up to date.

2 Likes

I just downgraded back to OS Catalina where there were never any issues. The issues of items not showing/painting in inventory/stash/etc
 are still present with Catalina. This was with a fresh install of Battle Net/Diablo 3 and with a downgrade from Big Sur to Catalina. So, the issue is clearly with Blizzard and this recent patch/season.

5 Likes

Also seeing the graphics slow here after upgrade to Big Sur. I installed the update yesterday, which had a later/larger Big Sur install file than the one that first came out. The installer shows version 16.1.04. System prefs/software update shows no more updates available.

My iMac: Late 2015 27" Retina, quad core i7 @ 4GHz, 2TB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M395 (2GB VRAM), using built-in display full screen. Never had any D3 graphics issues until this upgrade. Other software graphics seem to be fine, including Civ VI.

4 Likes