Augments other than main stat

How about extending augments for something other than main stats. They could do it by adding recipes that have two gems rather than just one. Imagine the build diversity that could bring to the table.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s not how many people would name a powercreep. You’re pushing off optimization of equipment as a result when you bring such thing to the table because players are free to pick anything instead of filtering loot to pick the best one. It depends on how you implement it, but I doubt you can balance such approach.

No matter how hard I try to imagine things, I fail to see how this would affect build diversity in any way.

Build diversity is not something they want to see. This is by design.

Nothing about diversity just buffs, buffs and even more buffs. Let D3 rest bring on D4.

I agree that this isn’t fixable in D3 because I think the problem of main stat is a symptom of damage scaling based entirely off weapon damage. I think D4 could fix these issues by having a split damage scaling design.

If you split damage scaling so that every skill has a base skill damage and scales with some % of weapon damage, then you have two sources of damage that can be scaled independently. This allows you to give offensive sources of damage scaling to every stat without one of those stats feeling like main stat.

For example, suppose every skill in the game had A-B damage + 15% of character attack on its tooltip. There are three categories of damage scaling in the game at that point:

Skill Damage Scaling Affixes (scales the A-B part of the skill above)

• +skills (skill ranks if they bring them back)
  • +% skill damage (if they don’t bring +skills back)
  • +x-y dmg type to skills (i.e. +5-10 lightning dmg added to skills)
  • +x% dmg to a type of skill (i.e. +10% damage to lightning skills)

Weapon Attack Scaling Affixes (scales the portion added to skills from weapon attack and other sources which add to weapon attack rating)

• Base Weapon Attack
  • +x-y to attack rating (can be anywhere on gear, not just on the weapon)
  • +x-y dmg type to attack (i.e. +5-10 lightning dmg added to attacks)
  • +% attack dmg
  • +x% physical attack dmg converted to elemental (or vice versa)

Then you have your global modifier categories like ias, crit% etc… that scale the combined skill dmg + attack dmg.

You can then approach stats in D4 as follows.

Strength: +% attack dmg, +defense
Dexterity: +% crit, +% dodge
Intelligence: +% skill dmg, +all resist
Willpower: +% ias, +resource regen

This gives every stat main stat potential b/c every stat can scale damage reliably. Numbers can easily be tweaked to find balance between these on a per skill basis by varying the 15% attack scaling modifier if needed. As a designer you work to keep all three sources of scaling approximately equal in value - though certain skill upgrades, legendary affixes, and uniques could affect that relative balance for certain builds of course. To keep crit from getting out of hand just make crits do double damage and cap it there - no CHD. Perhaps there could be some uniques that make crit function differently, but no base scaling of crit dmg %. All four stats are thematically solid as well.

I’m not sure where D4 is on damage scaling at the moment b/c over the course of development it seems to have changed a couple of times. To me this is one of the more important things for us to give feedback on when they eventually settle on something because it has huge cascading effects on itemization.

So, you augment with main stat and vitality. Then you roll all the VIT affixes off your gear in favour of offensive stats and, hey presto, power creep! Your builds haven’t diversified at all, they’ve just become more powerful.

Doesn´t you do this anyway ?

actually this idea is quite interesting and would give lower paragon players (<6k) the opportunity to enter the toughness scale of 10k+ paragon players.

is it power creep? maybe. but keep in mind that the hunt for gear is incredibly difficult since you would be looking for gear without mainstat, vitality and all resist, commonly referred to as quadfecta.

with your 2k paragon you are currently very limited in the way you design your builds. for example you lack the toughness for pushing AoV heaven’s fury with norvald’s fervor to its limits.

unless you are 10k+ paragon you won’t be able to roll all resist off your gear

:eyes:

As mainly Monk and sometimes Wiz Player … do you really think i would care too much about All-Res on the Gear ?

You try to get as many Affixes as possible, because you can only get them on your Gear.
Thats the Point.
Vita or Mainstat can be compensated with Paragon, later on.
But something like CDR / RCR / AD / %Skill / IAS … you can only get them via Gear.

1 Like

monk needs all-resist and wizard needs amor. you could compensate both stats with either strength/dex or int augments

:+1:

Joa.
On Belt , Boots and Pantsus
(depending on the Set on Shoulders, due to pre Rolls of the Item)

The rest is via sec. Resis

1 Like

nĂĽwohr

• 20 chars …

i would like to augment dex or intellicente or even vit in ancietns or primals too

Ok, now that I have seen all the replies, I would like to clarify one thing. Since we already have unlimited main stats with paragons, what I would like to see is the ability to add cooldown, area damage, pickup radius, etc to gear. This is the diversity that I was thinking of. It would be possible to limit power creep by making crit either a non option or at 150 only adding maybe 15 or 150 chance/damage. If done right power creep does not have to enter into the equation, or at least be minimized.

If I have immense overall cooldown reduction from gear and augments then I can spam highly effective abilities more quickly, which would cause a general burden to the server and still a power creep. Similar goes with area damage, as massed calculations always cause desynchronization and lag issues. There’s a reason why Area Damage never really offered as a fixated affix on gear (besides Demon’s Hide set).

Concern is not the power creep only but if not limited it may cause problems for server performance. Your idea can be part of a seasonal theme as it will never be completely balanced, but its practicality is somewhat doubtful without any limits to what can you augment for as well.

While it’s a good start, powercreep is not always about critical hits. Cooldown, attack speed, ranged/melee/elite damage mitigation and other stats has to be very minuscule per appliance or very limited.
In case you allow different primary stats to be loaded unto gear then players will neglect the optimization of their equipment yet still capable of doing mid-high content. As a result you will also narrow down the list of passive abilities worth picking. You just create an acceleration of progress where characters equipped for mid-high tier Greater Rifts can leap for perhaps 10-20 tiers if control is not ahold of.

Maybe I do not understand what it is your saying because you can already do that.

yeah but only 1, and they override, now imagine that u can put intelligence + strength+ dexterity + vitality in one ancient but they do not override each other (only override the same kind stat: intell override intell and so) that would be really nice, the point is this wont increase damage, just toughness because other stats diferent than mainstat class only gives armor, all resists, or life pool (that was my first thought when i read your post at a glance)

Ah yes, area damage causing server lag, that is a problem, one that should have been addressed a long time ago. It is essential for certain solo builds, but breaks party builds, and yet the wardrobe can’t save your paragon distribution because it would be impractical. And as you rightly pointed out there would be a need to greatly limit certain abilities so as to not break things. So keeping with my previous post area damage and cool down reduction could be limited to 15% at 150 and pickup radius could max out at 50 yards at 150. If you set the max at 150 to some reasonable number than you could make this work. I like the idea of it being more about tweaking and less about OPing. What would really make this feasible is if they had hard caps that could not be exceeded no matter how many augments you had. Want 200% fire damage… nope no more than 80% allowed. They already do it with movement speed, so I don’t see why they couldn’t do it with other things.

Wait, don’t we already do that with rings? My focus and restraints have no main stats except for the augments. Dmg, CC and CD. Most belts, pants, boots and chests can’t roll offensive stats at all so you wouldn’t be able to do that with them. And did you mean main stat or vitality, because I’m not suggesting multiple augments on the same item. And yes, it makes builds more powerful, but that was kind of the point. Some builds are lacking and could use something to help boost them. Maybe the right combination of area damage, cooldown and elemental damage could help boost some lackluster builds. I mean are you saying that we are at a point where all builds are perfect and we should not do anything to them anymore? Your thought process is eluding me.