Are there any guides in the old forum?

It would be a great idea to move over old guides if they exist.
Having looked into other classes sections I can’t understand why there isn’t stickied guides here. Most outstanding and astonishly good, in my opinion, is the barbarian section. Videos to all player’s that have created them as it is a huge help to start understand a class and play style.

1 Like

It takes a TON of work to make stuff like that.

Especially if you want video guides of builds. That content takes a significant amount of work to produce.

I’m pretty active on the forums, but I just pop on for a few minutes here and there. I don’t have enough time in my life to write guides. I barely have enough time to actually play the game as it is.

The barb forums have a few players who devote a ton of time to making that stuff. Would it be nice if wizards had stuff like that too? Sure. But unless you’re volunteering to make it, don’t take it for granted that it should exist. That kind of stuff takes a ton of effort.

5 Likes

Porting old guides is easier (I think you can still access content from the old forums via internet archive?), but they are pretty much all out of date at this point. Wouldn’t be much point in bringing over outdated information.

Cratic was the last person who really put effort in to making build guides/threads. He doesn’t post on the forums as much anymore, but if you check his youtube channel he tests new wizard builds each PTR and posts videos. I think he also has a build spreadsheet he keeps up to date.

2 Likes

I’ll tell you why: because writing and maintaining guides is a pain in the neck :joy: The WD compendium I maintain is incredibly low effort compared to some of the other guides on this forum (I merely collate the data/guides/videos/etc. other, smarter people have worked so hard to create, there’s hardly anything to call my own in it!), and even so, simply updating it each season eats up a solid couple of hours, and that’s saying nothing of the time I spent putting it all together initially. It’s not terribly hard work, to be clear - mostly it’s watching a bunch of YouTube videos, making sure my links are up to date, combing through the patch notes so that any changes are appropriately reflected, things like that. Nor do I have to field any of the curly questions other guide writers like Basshead, Free, Iria, and Rage get in their own guides. Even so, it’s not as easy as just copy-pasting an old guide over and calling it done, especially when things change from patch to patch, season to season. It’s an ongoing commitment, and now that I’ve begun I feel honour-bound to continue, even if I rarely play D3 anymore.

To be frank, before I started the WD one I did intend to do one the same for Wizard as well, but after I was done I was like ‘dear god no, never again.’ Particularly because Wiz has (had?) a few curious mechanics, especially around the Starpact build (RIP) that would’ve necessitated some explaining, and I didn’t feel appropriately equipped to do so. That being said, if anyone wants to use the formatting of the WD compendium as the basis for their own Wizard guide, please be my guest!

4 Likes

Cudos not videos!

Sorry about the mix-up, typed this on my Android phone which made this correction :joy: made me laugh.
So to both you and @Morgan yes I agree and I am asking for the porting of any such treasures.

1 Like

Hahaha that’s a pretty bad one. Completely changes the context!

2 Likes

Should we interpret that the community manager have this section on mute?

Really encouraging that we got exactly zero reaction.

What were you expecting?

If we had something we wanted stickied, I’m sure we could reach out and get it done.

The thing is, the CMs don’t make guides, the players do. If there’s no guides for them to sticky, there’s no reason for them to respond. They also aren’t going to port the old guides from the old forum, that takes a lot more work than you might think. If we want the old guides ported, that’s also on us. Once we get the work done, then we could ask for a sticky. I honestly don’t think there was much worth porting though, it’ll all be way out of date and pretty useless.

1 Like

Ok, I had no idea never were on the old forum. Damn it then :wink:

So an apology is in order then. I had hoped for something that could be useful and I had and still have no idea how the porting works.

I think there just isn’t enough demand for guides here. I did make a big guide with video and all a couple weeks ago, but it just fell down without a single reply. I think ppl that want to read and follow guides mostly don’t play wizard, because they know that other classes are stronger this season.

1 Like

@stedia you could do a search on you tube for “cratic” He has some great guides and is a pretty chill person. GL. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@CosmicDiablo yes there are sources out there and Cratic is surely a good source, having the text in front of me is something I prefer now that I’ve become an old fart :sweat_smile:
Feels awkward to pause a video (not cudos this time) to ponder about the information you get.
@Cascade buddy yes that was a nice piece of work tbh BUT zero dps builds are important. Right now it feels like all other than twister (exaggerating now but you get what I mean I hope) builds are zero dps builds :stuck_out_tongue:
So that might have been the reason it just fell flat.
The maxggroll is out there aswell, not sure what other good sources you can find. Google for the win…

Maybe teambrg. com might be more your speed.

1 Like